The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Securing USB for Portable SSD for live gig Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Securing USB for Portable SSD for live gig

Hello!

I recently purchased a portable Samsung T5 SSD to use as a boot drive with an aging 2010 MacBook Pro. Primarily, I’ll be using it with MainStage for live performances with a midi controller. The original hard drive in the machine is not really functional anymore.

My concern is the (physical) security of the USB cable and the possibility of it coming loose or falling out mid-performance. I went to unplug the charger from the MagSafe today and bumped it and, since it’s the boot drive, the whole thing just shut off.

Obviously, this would be a problem mid-performance, so does anyone have any recommendations to “secure” the cable to both the laptop port and to to the drive? This machine has past its prime and is being used solely for live performance, so I’m not worried about the aesthetics of the solution.

Many thanks!
Neil
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear
Find a USB cable with an angled connector on each end and then gaff tape the connectors to the SSD and to the macbook.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Great idea! So something like this, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Angled-Extens...tronics&sr=1-5

I might need to find one a little longer, but I think I've got a good place to start. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Best,
Neil
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm no Mac expert, by why on earth wouldn't you simply replace the Macbook's hard disk with an SSD? Having an external boot drive seems a very odd way of doing things.

And then, by all means have an external HD for data if the internal drive isn't big enough.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Totally understand!

The cost of the external drive was only $99. The interval drive was double that and honestly, I wasn't sure I would be able to replace it myself without messing up the guts of the machine. So if I paid somebody to do it, it would be another $100 or so.

Thanks for the suggestion and if this doesn't work out well, I can always just use the external drive for the samples on my main machine and try to replace the HD as you mentioned.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Guru

right angles can be good as long as the geometry doesn't obscure other ports. flexible silicone cables can also be handy as long as the cable still maintains acceptable build quality. the silicone takes strain which inflexible cables are bad at, along with certain USB format connectors often being flimsy and also the plastic shroud not butting up to the unit. so the strain moves the connection and loosens it. there can be similar but opposite issues with USB C in that, because the connection is designed to be tighter, if you keep repeatedly plugging and unplugging a USB C, you'll slowly wear out the metal which makes it tight. on any expensive drive, I'd try to think about not taking the cable out. which is another argument for flexible silicone.

here's a site which try to address various issues. I like the silicone block which grabs the cable, but the block would have to be on the unit and not move. because if something is fixed to something else and the computer moves, it would probably just make it worse.

Senarai Harga Cable Organizer Silicone Usb Cable Winder Flexible Cable Management Clips Cable Holder For Mouse Headphone Earphone Protector Terkini Di Malaysia - Paling Laris Di Malaysia
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear
Have you looked at any tutorials for replacing the hard drive on Youtube? It looks like you basically need a couple of special size tools to loosen the fasteners on the Macbook in order to change out the drive.

Even if you secure the external SSD, a failing internal drive can still mess you up. I think you at least want to clone your existing drive before it fails on you even if you don't feel comfortable installing it as a replacement in your Macbook.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict

If you go to iFixit they have step by step instructions on replacing Macbook Pro parts. You will need to buy a tool kit as there are many tiny internal screws, as well as a replacement hard drive. If you are patient and methodical you can do it. If you are not, then best to pay someone to do it for you.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Chances are the internal drive is a smaller 1.6" wide drive. You can find them but they're much more expensive.

Another option is to never buy laptops that are deliberately not upgradable or fixable. You can run OS X on certain PC laptops: Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides: Hackintosh.com Or you can record with a Windows laptop and import the audio to your Mac DAW. The Dell E6400 series can be found for under $100 and has a removable optical drive that can be replaced with a $10 2.5" hard drive caddy. Slap Windows 7 and Reaper into it and it's as stable as any Mac.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
Chances are the internal drive is a smaller 1.6" wide drive. You can find them but they're much more expensive.

Another option is to never buy laptops that are deliberately not upgradable or fixable. You can run OS X on certain PC laptops: Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides: Hackintosh.com Or you can record with a Windows laptop and import the audio to your Mac DAW. The Dell E6400 series can be found for under $100 and has a removable optical drive that can be replaced with a $10 2.5" hard drive caddy. Slap Windows 7 and Reaper into it and it's as stable as any Mac.
The hard drive in a 2010 Macbook Pro is a standard 2.5". I've actually swapped out my hard drive for an SSD in my 2011 Macbook Pro a few years ago and it made a world of difference. Next to adding RAM, the physical task of replacing a hard drive is as easy as computer mods get. It's harder to get the disk prepared than to actually swap it out. I just did some googling and ended up with a cheap external enclosure so I could duplicate my internal drive first then replace. There was some program I downloaded that did all the work, but I know Apple's own Disk Utility program can also be used. Then I swapped the drive and it booted up with all my data on it.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

^- Fair enough. But I reiterate that having a $100 laptop that is completely solid and dedicated only for live multitracking is way better than taking your everyday laptop and depending upon it for multitracking. I'm no Dell fan, and no Windows fan, but I've got two E6400's on Win7 and they've both got 5+ years of never dropping a sample. Cheap 2nd hard drive caddy, 4x USB, Firewire400, eSATA, Expressport, mini PCIe, even a slot that reads my bank card. Sure they don't have Thunderbolt or USB3, but they're cheap AF on the used market and are built for business. They have way more DFU (don't f*ck up) than current disposable crap.

That Mac you paid 10x more for doesn't make the mics and preamps you couldn't afford sound better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search