The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unbelievable amount of feedback (MUST READ!) Dynamic Microphones
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Unbelievable amount of feedback (MUST READ!)

Hi there,

I was doing FOH for a metal band last Friday in a pub, and I was experiencing an overwhelming amount of feedback on his vocal microphone, and of course, he was naturally loud.

There was literally no gain on his microphone, along with the fader being at approx. -20dB, nothing was being sent to any groups, it was a wired e845 with a Neutrik XLR.

Has anyone got any idea on what went wrong? There's no way what I've described should be audible!

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin119s View Post
Hi there,

I was doing FOH for a metal band last Friday in a pub, and I was experiencing an overwhelming amount of feedback on his vocal microphone, and of course, he was naturally loud.

There was literally no gain on his microphone, along with the fader being at approx. -20dB, nothing was being sent to any groups, it was a wired e845 with a Neutrik XLR.

Has anyone got any idea on what went wrong? There's no way what I've described should be audible!

Thanks in advance!
So, the fader was down which means nothing in FOH. Were there monitors - what was being sent to them. Also, how sure can you be that it was really an e845 - the Sennheiser Evolution mics are nearly as copied as the SM58, and some of the copies can be quite nasty.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Nut

this sounds like there was something wrong with the gear u are using. Or u were using it wrong.

Gain at zero? Fader at -20? whas the PAD on? Whas the masterbus cranked? Whas the PA cranked?

I don't know youre experiance level but did u check his mic with the PFL on?
If that guy can scream into a mic and have it peak at around zero PFL with no gain on it. He shouldn't need a mic

Did u check a different channel on the board? did u replace the mic or cable?
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi there,

Was his vocal loud in the monitor(s)?
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

pic or drawing would help, including desk, signal path, amps/(powered) speakers etc.

even on very loud stages, gain for many different vocal mics is usually around +20 to +24db...

could it be that a setting was off (say the mic/line switch on a powered speaker being used as monitor?)
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
Maybe there was a Direct Out routed to some of the outputs?
Old 9th April 2019
Things I have run into. Band we were doing had all their own microphones. Wanted to use them exclusively. One of the mics was an Omni and the lead singer wanted to use it. Caused all kinds of problems with both the monitors and the mains. The lead singer said it made his voice sound "sexy". Number two doing a heavy metal band. The guitar player had a microphone that he was using for vocals. Halfway through the first song he swings the microphone around and points it directly at the monitors. Big feedback. He thought it was funny, I did not. He kept doing it throughout the first set. Went to talk to him at the break and was told that he did this "all the time" and would keep doing it. He said he wanted to make sure the monitor mixer was not going to sleep. Some people's idea of a joke is not for everyone. He caused deliberate feedback over 12 times that evening. Audience seem to think it was our fault and one guy threatened to "punch out" the monitor mixer if it happened again. Had to call security. NOT FUN!!! FWIW
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear
Active splitter?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Back to the OP, he mentions "metal band in a pub", which doesn't imply a very sophisticated setup. But without further information, there are all sorts of possible causes, from user error to equipment faults, and including plain stupidity.

Sadly, the OP hasn't been back, so we may never know.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

As my mechanic used to say, "The problem was a loose nut behind the wheel."
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
and one guy threatened to "punch out" the monitor mixer if it happened again. Had to call security. NOT FUN!!! FWIW
I love gigs like that
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The guitar player had a microphone that he was using for vocals. Halfway through the first song he swings the microphone around and points it directly at the monitors. Big feedback. He thought it was funny, I did not. He kept doing it throughout the first set. Went to talk to him at the break and was told that he did this "all the time" and would keep doing it.
Wow, what an unbelievable putz.
There are a million great revenges possible.... the mind wanders.......

However, I probably just would have muted his mic rather than risk damage to equipment and hearing.

In another thread I shared a story of an "artist" who thought it was funny to make the sound person look bad, as a part of his "show". I have a pretty broad sense of humor, but this sort of thing I just don't get.

The world is full of some pretty interesting and unusual people. Sorry that so many of them seem to cross paths with you Thomas!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search