The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midas M32 96 Input Channels??? Mixers (Digital)
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Midas M32 96 Input Channels???

So I have been searching for awhile now for this answer and I cannot find definitively. The Midas M32 boasts that via AES50 you can connect up to 96 input channels and 96 outputs. Is this the case that a board with only 16 physical faders and 2 pages of fader banks can run 96 simultaneous channels or is Midas blowing smoke? My suspicion is that you can connect up to 96 input channels but only assign 32 to work simultaneously. I am an analog sound engineer working to push my church to digital so I am trying to understand my best path.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut
My understanding is that the M32 can not go past 32 channels simultaneously.
Old 5th April 2019
That's correct, you can connect more channels but the console cannot use them all simultaneously, it doesn't have sufficient DSP to do so.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoeditor08 View Post
Is this the case that a board with only 16 physical faders and 2 pages of fader banks can run 96 simultaneous channels or is Midas blowing smoke? My suspicion is that you can connect up to 96 input channels but only assign 32 to work simultaneously. I am an analog sound engineer working to push my church to digital so I am trying to understand my best path.
I have an M32 as the center of my studio, and I teach live sound management to churches that have M32's and X32's.

Each of the two AES50 ports (A and B) in the M32 can handle 48-channels-in and 48-channels-out. That's where the 96-in/96-out number comes from.

There are 3 "layers" on the full-size M32. They are Chan-1-16, then Chan-17-32, then the layer of Aux-In 1-6 with the hard-configured USB panel port. When configuring the banks of 8 within the board, you choose up to 38 inputs, and #40 , the hard-configured USB panel port can't be reassigned.

Feel free to ask additional questions, or PM me for direct email assistance. BTW, a couple of days ago, I put my Midas DL151 up for sale on eBay. It's 24-inputs and zero outputs.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The subtleties of X32 routing make it a less than obvious answer.

You have 32 full DSP channels, plus Aux 1-6 which have lesser DSP capabilities (no dynamics). However, while the onboard routing has Aux 1-6 fed by balanced 6.35mm jacks, you can repatch them to be fed from XLR inputs. So, with external stageboxes you can mix 38 channels (just losing dynamics for the Aux 1-6 channels). So 38 is your absolute limit.

With external stageboxes, you have many more inputs at your disposal *to patch from* - but can still mix no more than 38.

What's the point of the additional patchable inputs? Two obvious scenarios:

1) You use, say 32 inputs for the headliner, but a separate 32 for the support. No problem, all 64 can be connected, but your scene for the headliner patches the first 32 to the mix, and for the support, the other 32 are patched. If you have the need, this is great.

2) More convoluted, but for a bigger input count in, say a musical show, you can be re-patching all the way through the show with scenes/snippets. You're still limited to no more than 38 active channels, but if your "active at any time" channel count remains within that, you're peachy. In operation, you'd see the channels labels changing as you run through the scenes. Convoluted, and for a show like this you'd be better off with a more capable desk, but it can be done.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search