The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crown XLS 2002 vs2502
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Crown XLS 2002 vs2502

Hi there,

This is my first póst in here. I´m building up a PA system to take out in the city and promote gigs (the forums in town do not own PA Systems), so a couple of months ago I got on sale a pair of Peavey PVX 15 Speakers and now we are trying to match them with an amp. At the beggining we were thinking of getting an Alto Mac 2.4 (we have had work with it a couple fo years ago and thought it was a solid amp) but, we borrow one the other day, and realise that it is a heavy piece to be moving around town; so no, we are thinking on getting a Crown XLS series. In the local store, the clerks told us that the XLS-2002 will do a good match, but we were thinking on getting the XLS-2502; there are a couple of hundred bucks in between, but what we think is important is that the 2502 has more power, and we did read about the importance of having xtra power is good. so thsi are the specs:
Speakers
PVX 15: Program on400W @8 Ohms (800watts peak)
Amps
XLS-2002: [email protected] Ohms Stereo
XLS-2502: 440W @8 Ohms Stereo

Now I think, that those 40W xtra power will be good to have an headroom, for the amp to not be push tot he limits.

¿Which one do you think is a good match? ¿do you have other sugestions?

P.S. Why would I want to have my amp on bridge mode?

Thanks
Old 6th April 2019
Hi and welcome to GS!

I would suggest you look for a higher quality used amp.

Generally speaking, always go for extra headroom when shopping for an amp. Don't think of it so much as a volume thing - the speakers will get plenty loud with a smaller amp, remember that you only gain 3dB every time you DOUBLE the power - think of it more in terms of having headroom for cleaner transient reproduction and avoidance of clipping the amp.

I typically try to size amps for 2x the power of the speaker's continuous (RMS) power rating. Common recommendations would be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5X depending on music genre etc. With your speakers, this would mean choosing an amp in the range of 600W to 1000W per channel at 8ohms. That means your XLS amps don't get large enough, you would need to move up to the Xti4002 if staying with Crown products.

Regarding your question about bridging, that is typically done when you simply need more power. Without getting technical, you are basically just combining the power from 2 channels into one. You might do this for instance to power a subwoofer.

I hope that helps,
Cheers
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiKowalski View Post
Hi there,

This is my first póst in here. I´m building up a PA system to take out in the city and promote gigs (the forums in town do not own PA Systems), so a couple of months ago I got on sale a pair of Peavey PVX 15 Speakers and now we are trying to match them with an amp.
For practical results I think you will find that these particular speakers are fairly low in useful output with a long-term SPL rated output of 120dB. Most such utility speakers would be rated with at least a 6dB higher long-term output.

Quote:
At the beggining we were thinking of getting an Alto Mac 2.4 (we have had work with it a couple fo years ago and thought it was a solid amp) but, we borrow one the other day, and realise that it is a heavy piece to be moving around town; so no, we are thinking on getting a Crown XLS series. In the local store, the clerks told us that the XLS-2002 will do a good match, but we were thinking on getting the XLS-2502; there are a couple of hundred bucks in between, but what we think is important is that the 2502 has more power, and we did read about the importance of having xtra power is good. so thsi are the specs:
Speakers
PVX 15: Program on400W @8 Ohms (800watts peak)
Amps
XLS-2002: [email protected] Ohms Stereo
XLS-2502: 440W @8 Ohms Stereo

Now I think, that those 40W xtra power will be good to have an headroom, for the amp to not be push tot he limits.

¿Which one do you think is a good match? ¿do you have other suggestions
Your thinking is correct regarding the 2502. However, you're still going to be limited to a minimally useful sound output from the PVX 15's. Any danger of clipping whatever amp you have is more a matter of trying to get more output from the system than it is capable of producing. In this case it is the limited output of the speakers which would be the weakest link and most likely cause for pushing mixer output levels to a level which would cause any amplifier to clip.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search