The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
capture audience walking and singing Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

capture audience walking and singing

hello

this will be a live show and about 200 singers will walk a side a river singing and they will arrive to a place where they will finish singing (in a loop fashion the same tune).
they will be 1 km distance from the point of arrival. I´m trying to go wireless with a mic (maybe stereo?) in a pole going along with the crowd and transmitting it to the mixing desk.

what kind of mic how you would do this?
many thanks in advance
Old 2nd April 2019
If you've got to cover 1km, don't expect to just throw up a wireless mic and get that kind of range reliably, even with directional antennas, especially when you are moving.

Perhaps there would be something you can do over the cellular data network, assuming the coverage is strong in that area. There are a variety of audio interfaces for mobile devices, maybe you could even do a video call back to the venue. While it is kind of a duct tape and binder twine solution, something like that is a lot more simple to implement technically.

Just spitballing here. Regardless, it sounds like this is something that is going to require some planning and testing.

Best of luck!
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

last summer i've got a wireless mic going over ca. 350m but this was out in the woods: dunno how far 50mW in a crowded city with lots of rf traffic will get you... - installing multiple receivers tuned to the same frequency along the route and send signal to foh via fiber cables would be one way to do it; very expensive though and you could still run into troubles - a much cheaper option would be to use cell phones...
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

These kind of situations do often end up being lipsynced.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm with deedeeyah on using cell phone(s). The Shure mv88 into an iPhone should offer the live streaming required.
Old 3rd April 2019
Or you could pre record the choir and just gradually bring up the level as the choir approaches. FWIW
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Or you could pre record the choir and just gradually bring up the level as the choir approaches. FWIW
This is what I thought as well, but 200 people strung out along the path won't sound like a choir until they get to the "finish line" and a boom mic will pick up 10-15 people at a time. So you'd really only have to have a small group recording to represent the remote sound.

It's more a matter of organization and direction than tech unless the tech budget and manpower is hefty. I've done this a good bit with brass bands for Mardi Gras and massed fiddles for Swedish Midsommar but never more than half a mile or so.

I'll vote for cross-fading from a recorded sample if possible along with cell phone transmission en route. Whatever, it seems likely to have a large spontaneity factor.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search