The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Improving the sound of nord electro 5d Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Improving the sound of nord electro 5d

Hello everyone I need some advice that will help me improve the sound of my Nord electro 5d live.
I have some passable sounds at the moment... What im going for is a hammond B3, a Rhodes, a Farfisa and a couple other very classic sounding keyboards such as those, nothing new age.
I want to try to get a sound like Whiter Shade of pale, or when a man loves a woman. Things like that.
i know i probably won't achieve anything perfect with just the Nord but i have it and sadly i cant bring a hammond organ and a rhodes to all of my shows. Unfortunately however, the Nord has proven surprisingly mediocre.

I was Wondering if anyone had any tips on how to improve it?
Any third party downloadable libraries i could load in that will blow the nord ones away?
i was thinking of buying the art tube mixer, or maybe some other kind of portable stereo preamp, to warm up the sound as well.
All ideas are welcome and appreciated.

I would love to make this Nord that i have work for me... but if some think it is a completely lost cause and prefer other keyboards im open to suggestions as well!
i just want to get these great classic keyboard sounds!
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

any ideas anyone?
not sure if i put this in the right category so sorry about that if i didnt.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I hate to sound dismissive, but my usual response to this is to get a Nord. They're the best. There's some room for improvement in each sound compared to the real deal, but no one keyboard gets as close to each. Maybe this is a question for a keyboard forum, to get the most of your Nord. There's probably more to get with outboard gear, but get the most of what you've got first.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear
FWIW I don't like how the Nord sounds.
There are many options, it depends on what you want soundwise and featurewise.
You could sell the Electro and get some other keyboard - Roland and Kurzweil have some keyboards that might satisfy your needs, but you have to hear/try them.
If you are OK with carrying a computer with you, there are some awesome virtual instruments available.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

For electric mechanical sound and organs to me NORD is the best. So if it is a programming issue look on line for sounds and programming tips.

As far as outboard I always like to sub-mix with a personal mixer before going to front of house to help increase signal, add punch, effects and eq. A great stereo DI is key as is good monitors. The NEVE one looks about the best. Another approach is to go stereo with a stereo keyboard amp like the new Aspen Pittman XL model. Add a small sub for deep sounding organs.
Old 5th April 2019
I would suggest you run Omnisphere via MIDI. It has an absolutely massive collection(about 12,000!) of great sounds that covers everything you are looking for and WAY beyond, and is very tweakable (if desired). It even has a Live Mode feature. Lots of pros have been using it live, for instance Jordan Rudess.

Spectrasonics - Omnisphere 2 - Sources

Be warned, the install is a whopping 64GB of data. You won't be disappointed, it really rocks.

Here's an older NAMM demo - 10 years later it's grown a lot from this:

You might also prefer their Keyscape VI, which is a little less onerous in terms of options and targeted towards what it seems like you may be looking for. Some of the stuff in there is just nasty good.
Spectrasonics - Keyscape - Collector Keyboards

The 2 together cover basically anything you might want to do. It makes using the patches from a standalone keyboard seem so antiquated.

Run this on laptop into a small interface and put up a pair of powered speakers like "texas headphones" (such as QSC K8.2 or something compact like that) and you'll be in heaven.

Last edited by bambamboom; 5th April 2019 at 08:59 PM..
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

wow thank you all so much for your responses! this is great!
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
I would suggest you run Omnisphere via MIDI. It has an absolutely massive collection(about 12,000!) of great sounds that covers everything you are looking for and WAY beyond, and is very tweakable (if desired). It even has a Live Mode feature. Lots of pros have been using it live, for instance Jordan Rudess.

Spectrasonics - Omnisphere 2 - Sources

Be warned, the install is a whopping 64GB of data. You won't be disappointed, it really rocks.

Here's an older NAMM demo - 10 years later it's grown a lot from this:

You might also prefer their Keyscape VI, which is a little less onerous in terms of options and targeted towards what it seems like you may be looking for. Some of the stuff in there is just nasty good.
Spectrasonics - Keyscape - Collector Keyboards

The 2 together cover basically anything you might want to do. It makes using the patches from a standalone keyboard seem so antiquated.

Run this on laptop into a small interface and put up a pair of powered speakers like "texas headphones" (such as QSC K8.2 or something compact like that) and you'll be in heaven.
this looks amazing. whats the best midi keyboard to use with it?
i dont know much about midi...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search