The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Two different mic choices - samples Condenser Microphones
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Two different mic choices - samples

While I'm reticent to add yet another vocal-mic thread . . . I enjoy those over on Remote Possibilities where people post clips and get impressions before they reveal what equipment is used . . . so I thought I'd put a similar one here.

I worked with a tremendously-talented female solo act for one evening last month, and we were fortunate to have plenty of time during sound-check to try a few different mics. She ended up with two very different choices, one for standing and playing the guitar, and the other while seated at the piano, focused primarily on which allowed her to deliver the vocal energy she was after, without feeling like she had to "push".

These were recorded directly from the FOH console, not intended as a recording or broadcast mix, but interesting nonetheless.
Attached Files

T220.mp3 (1.98 MB, 168 views)

T221.mp3 (1.92 MB, 162 views)

Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm betting Beta87 at piano, Beta58 at guitar.

Funny how young singers these days can sing like there's auto-tune on them? They grew up hearing it and learned to emulate. It's gonna put auto-tune out of business lol
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

The vocal mic used with the guitar is indeed a Beta 58A . . . nice one! I think I took down just a couple of dB of presence (3K-ish) with the channel EQ. The vocal mic with the piano is an EV RE18; no EQ. Other mics on hand were KMS105, KSM9, e935, 58, M80 . . . I don't think we tried them all though. Analog board with a Valley 440 giving just a touch of compression and expansion (on channel insert, re-patched between songs).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search