The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken M80/81 Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

Telefunken M80/81

Hi guys
anybody have experience with Telefunken M80/81? I already have the MD9235 capsule and its amazing but I've heard some good things about Telefunken. Is it worth trying or don't bother?
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Addict

They’re pretty sharp on most voices. The m80 is VERY bright. I’d go for the m81 if you want something a little more tame.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
They’re pretty sharp on most voices. The m80 is VERY bright. I’d go for the m81 if you want something a little more tame.
Yes M81 looks flatter. Leave it to the sound guy to boost high ends if needed.
Old 1st April 2019
I like the M80. In a lot of applications, it naturally does a lot of what I would normally do via EQ, so it can sound pretty much "done" on a well configured system. Despite being relatively bright it has pretty good feedback rejection, though certainly not to the degree of something like an Audix OM7.

Its characteristics actually make it pretty nice on acoustic guitar and even as a drum overhead in a pinch.

As with all mics you'd be best to try it in your application first before making a commitment.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

i'm using both: the m80 often needs a de-esser while the m81 is mostly ok - the mic clips could need a re-design though!
pretty hot output and a rather authoritative sound - when they fit, they are hard to beat!
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
The m80 is VERY bright.
This sums it up.

I have three M80s, and I'm still trying to find situations where I like them. A couple of times I've had good results for backing vocals where the lead vocalist was very strong comparatively, and needed maximum "cut" to bring things together. My interest in trying the M81 has waned because of the experience . . . in retrospect though, this might be the one to try first.

Fabulous looking mic though, especially in the colors . . .
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head

I like the m80 but find the sennheiser e945 a better all around choice. I went back and forth for a while and decided on the 945. Similar top end with more body. The m80 and 81 are great mics though.
Old 2nd April 2019
Interesting observation Kirkus,
I actually normally do the opposite, I tend to like something a bit darker on background vocalists and don't give them as much top end as the lead vocal in the mix. In some cases for instance I have given SM58 to the backing vocalists and M80 to the lead vocalist and this has worked well.

It's all subjective of course, this is what is great about mixing!

Having said this, my preferred vocal mics over the M80 are the Sennheiser 945 and Shure KSM8 (each of which sound different from one another)
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sants View Post
I like the m80 but find the sennheiser e945 a better all around choice. I went back and forth for a while and decided on the 945. Similar top end with more body. The m80 and 81 are great mics though.
uh oh you guys are comparing the m80 to 945. I expect it to be a class above lol.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I have both the M80 and M81 here. Most of the singers I have worked with prefer the M80.
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStudio View Post
uh oh you guys are comparing the m80 to 945. I expect it to be a class above lol.
Not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting you expect the 945 to be better, or the m80? FWIW 945 costs less than M80 and also sounds marginally better to me, particularly on female voices.

However, the Tfunk wins the glamour contest between the 2 so may appeal more to image conscious muso's.... Sometimes that is the trump card. Either mic is totally usable, certainly not night and day between them.

Be aware of mixing supercardioid mics like M80 and 945 with cardioid mics in terms of monitor placement. Butting the monitor right up directly behind the mic stand might work great with an SM58, but is asking for a world of trouble with the rear lobe of M80, 945 etc.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have an M81 and on the right singer is great. It is very neutral and takes EQ very well. It is a little like an OM7 in that you have to stay right on the mic as it dies very quickly when you pull away from it.
I purchased mine for a singer who has a very scooped sounding voice and needed some nice mid push power for his voice. It worked perfectly and the sibilance was far less than on most other mics.

As a side note, it is also killer on a snare drum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sidenote: I recently did a gig where I brought OM5's and 767a's and, with no advance, the vocalists asked for SM58's. I told them I didn't bring 58's. They pouted, and said "well we'll use our mics then." He pulled out a KMS105 and she pulled out an M80. I sh|t you not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I just can't warm up to the sound of the top end on the M80. Must be me...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I just tested a wireless Telefunken M81 with ULXD through SSL console and a pair of beautiful Adam S2V monitors. Every flaws got exposed like daylight. Some people have reported that they had to cut a bunch of 200-300hz out is very system dependent. A lot of sound systems are tuned with a 12db low frequency contour, that's probably why they felt that the M81 was muddy. No such problems exists on the Adam monitors or well tuned Meyer UPQ. In fact, very little proximity effects when lips touches the grille. I would describe the sound as clear, balanced, with a nice top end. Rejections is great as well. I thought its a good mic but it just couldn't touch the Sennheiser MD9235 capsule for warmth and smoothness.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've noticed on the recent Telefunken Lab Youtube vids that singers are using a prototype vocal mic these days. Makes me wonder if Tele is coming out with a new vocal mic for live use. Whatever it is, it does sound really good. I'm in the market for a live mic too, and I might hold out to see what's up their sleeve.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bought a M81 SH for lead singer/drummer, insane mic for that use.

Personally I prefere it over the 58/beta58, much more detailed.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I do mostly rock mixing and thus usually prefer a more eq'd sound than a flat microphone. I find an M80 works great in pretty much any context where you'd reach for a 57/58. The M80-SH are my Snare Top/Bottom and I throw an M80 on a gtr cab. I'd probably reach for an M80 in situations I'd normally reach for a Beta58. It's got a similar amount of cut, without all the metallic brittle that can overwhelm with some voices. In that way it's similar to a PR35. Usually for me, if I'm trying to add a little more body and structure to a thin sounding voice I'll reach for a 935/945. It often works as long as the singer isn't too nasal.

I don't love the M81, I found myself often trying to EQ whatever I put it on to try and sound more like an M80. I find the M81 fine for studio purposes, but it's not a mic I'd reach for to get anything to "cut" through a mix. Probably not a bad option to work against some shrill sounding sources -- taming a piccolo snare or a pedal steel through a twin with the treble all the way up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search