The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha DBR12 hissing more than expected?
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

Yamaha DBR12 hissing more than expected?

Hello!

So i've spent days researching and decided to go with DBR12s as my first entry level Pro speaker kit.

I bought them both brand new, but from different sellers (each of them only had 1 in stock for that price (£250 & £280))
I get the first one delivered, turn it on and there's a noticeable hiss coming from the top of the speaker. Turned off DSP, LPF, tuned the signal all the way to infinity and it hasn't changed a bit. Ran some searches on here and apparently it can be due to a faulty DSP module or something along those lines, but my DSP is turned off anyway.. "I got a faulty unit" I thought.

Next day, the second speaker comes in, I plug it in..... aaaand it's the same. The sound produced is amazing otherwise, but that hiss is so annoying when there's no sound coming out of the speakers. My super budget noname branded speakers make much less of a hiss than these ones.

Did I get 2 faulty units from different sellers or are they supposed to do that?

Thanks a lot
Old 6th April 2019
S21
Lives for gear

The signal will still go through a DSP with the DSP off. The DSP will just produce the same digital output as the digital input.

I don't get hiss with my DBR12 here. I have 3.

What (if any) cables are plugged in? Does the hiss vary with input gain?
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

No doubt connected to a snake.

Sorry
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Addict

Try the speakers in a different location. Sometimes dirty power can cause noises in the system.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hmmm something doesn't right here. I had the DBR12's here to try and I found the hiss on them to be lower than any other speaker I've tried in that price range.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear
Input switch maybe? Does is change when switched from Mic to Line? The hiss may be louder on "mic" as that will increase the gain, which could raise the noise floor depending on how it's designed. That said, with the level knob all the way down it shouldn't make a difference. Note - do this test without anything plugged into the input.

FWIW, while I like the ability to switch between line/mic, I'm not a fan of the switch Yamaha uses. It's too easy to hit by accident. The recessed button on speakers lke the JBL PRX 700 series JBL speakers is a better/safer design. I just noticed the JBL 800 series uses a button switch that isn't recessed. (boo)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search