The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording through Dante Via to ProTools? Mixers (Digital)
Old 27th March 2019
Here for the gear

Recording through Dante Via to ProTools?

I'm wondering if anyone could explain the process of recording a live performance from a digital mixer through Dante Via into ProTools. Is this as easy as plug and play? I've never attempted this before but I want to make sure before I'm there the day of.

I would like to take the ethernet cable from the mixer into Dante Via, route the signals into protools, and have them show up in ProTools as individual tracks. The concert I'm recording is in five days so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear
Your mixer must have Dante. Does it? You don’t say.

Also, Dante Virtual Soundcard would be more appropriate for multitracking. Via is for routing OS and app sounds.

Other than that, you should do Dante Cert Level 1 to learn a bit more.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Depending on your dante setup.
or example, I have two ways I can record with dante using my Yamaha TF1 mixer and TIO1608 stagebox.

Both I start with:

1. install the Dante virtual sound card on the pc (start it using the ASIO mode)
2. install dante controller to patch the computer to the dante i/o matrix.

But there are two ways I can patch it. One way would be to patch the computer directly to the stagebox, since my stagebox can multicast to multiple destinations (this is what I do since it doesn't matter if the mixer is on or not).

Another way is to find the "direct out" patching of the dante interface that is plugged into the board. My board starts them at like channel 42 on my dante card that's plugged into my tf1.

you should already be using a gbit switch, but you just load the software and plug the computer into the dante network via that switch. It doesn't require an Ipv4 setup, but if you choose to assign a static address, I like to stick the computers somewhere 192.168.1.50-100.
no dns assign (leave blank)
Btw you can record with multiple computers at the same time, so you can record a Pro Tools and a separate one with something like Nuendo for the video guys. Or just redundant recording.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear
it depends if you're using HTHD or native,

if you're running native, then sure, just install dante virtual soundcard and dante controller in pro tools select dante virtual soundcard as your audio device.

If you're running HD accel/HDX cards and need to go in that way, then a number of REDNET HD32R | Focusrite Audio Engineering Ltd. will give you digilink outs to hook up to that.

As for the actual dante network side of things, it should be fairly straight forward, just go into dante controller and patch the dante network channels to the interface as you like, but how you expose the audio to the network is up to you and will depend on the desk (are you trying to take a split from the pre's, pre or post fade copies after the channel processing etc...)
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks a bunch guys! Everything went smoothly, I just had to download the Virtual Sound Card and it worked!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search