The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting creative with tech during solo cover performance Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Getting creative with tech during solo cover performance

Hey everyone

Just had a thought to ask here about mixing up my live rig to see if anyone has any ideas on how I could change it up a little to get the most out of it.

Currently I am running a small PA, using an 8 channel interface running Ableton Live, which admittedly, I haven't been using this to its full potential, just for mixing and effect sends that i trigger with a midi pedal..

So my setup is something like this..

Vocal B58a Mic > Interface > DAW

Electric Guitar > Amp > TC Flashback Left channel looper in the amps effects loop > rec out to interface > DAW.
The amp is a 1x12 combo pointed toward me for monitoring. I occasionally mic it up if i feel like throwing in an extra mic stand, but the line out gets a decent sound to the FOH. I dont put pedals in front anymore, i have the amp set to crunch and clean up with the guitars volume pot and fingerpicking.

Acoustic Guitar SM58 Mic > Interface > DAW Parallel send to tc looper right channel > Return to interface > DAW

Stompbox > interface > DAW

I switch between acoustic and electric during sets as songs call for it.

I can route vocals or the stompbox to the right side of the looper pedal but been keeping it to guitars up until now, as i like blending a little delay over the gats.

I dont use backing tracks and don't really plan on it.

I have experimented building live drum loops with ableton and the midi pedal, but haven't found a sound that complements the bare guitars.. I found that once i add drums, i feel that i need bass, and short of buying a moog taurus and second looper for it, i haven't found a solution.

I have used the midi pedal with ableton to loop before, but i found it easy to mess up, so settled on the TC pedal.

I'm wondering if anyones seen any cool midi digital/analog hybrid systems like this and if theyve noticed any possibilities ive overlooked.

Ideally I want to sound big by the end of a 4 hour set. I want to start with acoustic guitar for 10-15 mins, then bring in vocals, then the stompbox by the end of set 1. Then vox, stomp, acoustic for all of set 2, then electric guitar with looping for set 3, then MAYBE add drums by set 4, if i can find the right sounding samples..

I have a solid grasp on exactly how to execute this with what i have at hand, but again, i'm just wondering on peoples thoughts on how i could add to this.

Admittedly i like working OTB over ITB.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, G.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search