The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynamic mic for live - rap vocals Dynamic Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dynamic mic for live - rap vocals

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new vocal dynamic mic and I would like to get an advice from you and your experience.

I am a hip hop artist and i am currently using Sennheiser e 945, but it seems that I have problems with sibilance. I like how clear and detailed it sounds. I do not like the dullness of the Shure sm58 and the Beta58 does not suit me too.

I am singing close to the mic, so the plosives should be handled well and as I said I do have problem with the sibilance.

So I am looking for a dynamic mic (maybe cardioid pattern) for live performance, but I would like to have a dynamic mic for studio use too.

I am currently checking these mics: Beyerdynamic v70d / v50d; Lewitt mtp 550 dm; AKG d7; Telefunken m80;

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 weeks ago
S21
Lives for gear

i would suggest positioning the mic differently before buying a new mic.
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

Maybe start with a 30deg downwards tilt?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
KSM8 from Shure. $500 new. Can find used for about $300.
50 year update to the SM58

This is the current mic for HBO boxing, Presidential debates, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Agreed with S21

None of those mics mentioned are going to decrease sibilance, they are all dynamic, intermediate to professional equipment, and will all have a similar response in the upper frequencies. Not to mention the sennheiser is a fantastic mic for the money.

I'd suggest holding the mic lower from your chin on any s sounds.

You could use EQ to notch out 1 to 2 dB between 5kHz and 8kHz, but you will lose a little intelligibilty.. ie. You won't sound as clear to your audience.

The proximity effect of being on the mic can be a great thing for a deep male voice when executed well, but you gotta move quick to control those plosives and sibilance.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I just had a quick google through the frequency response graphs of the mics you've mentioned.

Out of all of them the e945 has the least pronounced boost between 5k and 8k, which is where the sibilance sits in the spectrum.

Stick with the mic you've got and try working on your movement to get a bit of space in between you and the mic when you know you're gonna hit a hard S.
Maybe try not to string too many words together that have sibilance as well. Part of getting a performance sounding good is knowing limitations of equipment and avoiding them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you cup the mic try an Audix OM5. Won't solve the sibilance problem but changes the least when cupped. Usually the only unfixable issue with rap vocals.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks to ALL

Thank you all for your advices! I love how my voice sounds with the e945...it is a great mic.

Didn't know that putting the mic a little bit lower on "s" sounds would do the work. Thanks a lot!

Wish you all the best guys!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Have any of you actually heard the Lewitt and had the chance to compare it to the others on the list? You might be surprised, I was.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYWStudio View Post
I just had a quick google through the frequency response graphs of the mics you've mentioned.

Out of all of them the e945 has the least pronounced boost between 5k and 8k, which is where the sibilance sits in the spectrum.

Stick with the mic you've got and try working on your movement to get a bit of space in between you and the mic when you know you're gonna hit a hard S.
Maybe try not to string too many words together that have sibilance as well. Part of getting a performance sounding good is knowing limitations of equipment and avoiding them.
Have you ever used the e945? I can't think of any other mic that accentuates HF that much. Otherwise not a bad mic.

I had great results with MD441 and foam windshield. It's pretty much impossible to cup it, great polar pattern and sounds as good as a dynamic mic can. Also very resistant to handling noise.
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

MD441 might not have the visual look a rapper wants on stage.

Getting another mic is fine, but a first course of action is to try and have the mic pick up less of the unwanted sounds. Hence my recommendation to try lifting the end of the mic with the XLR connector up a bit higher, and have the mic pointing down a bit.

Different positions, different sounds. A bit off to the side is worth a go too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And then, there is the MBHO 219C/SC, hands down, the best sounding and performing dynamic mic on the planet today in my opinion. It's off axis, proximity, feedback and sound quality performance equals or better the performance of any other dynamic mic on the market today. You can cup it, scream as loud as possible in it, or stand as far behind it as is practical and it will perform well...it's not gender or genre specific, and it is clear and very accurate.

It does not try to add or take away anything...it just captures, so if you're looking for a mic to spice up (or color) your voice in any way this is not it, but if you need or want ultimate performance... Its performance is very much like a condenser, especially where sensitivity and detail are concerned, All these qualities makes this a great studio tool, and if you can get this mic to distort you should really be doing critical acoustics testing for NASA and the armed forces.

The LEWITT 550 is not here, but none of the Shure or Sennheiser microphones mentioned here can or will perform better, and when you factor in the price, it gets even more attractive.

But I agree with S21, try different handling techniques with the mic you already have before thinking about buying new gear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you are cupping the microphone all bets are off for any mic. Proper mic technique is a must.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
If you are cupping the microphone all bets are off for any mic. Proper mic technique is a must.
Almost every rapper I know Cup the mic, you might not like it, but this is the sound they’re going for.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi all..

thanks that you are interested and you are replying to this topic.

I might say that i know how to hold the mic and i am not that kind of rapper that is cupping it.

I know what the sennheiser's mics are going for, but i would like to know if there are another mics (like beyerdynamic or lewitt), which are not that common in use, which can take you higher and more balanced in sound. That's it.

If you have experience with rap artists i would like to hear (read) from you, as the only mics i have seen that the est rapers in the world are using are the shure 58 and sennheisers.

Thanks again for your envolvment in this topic!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search