The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Top Custom In-Ear Monitors for Live Use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Top Custom In-Ear Monitors for Live Use.

For those of you interested in using custom in-ear monitors in a live setting, this video highlights current top models. The video is geared towards drummers, but these models are also used by many non-drummers. Also feel free to share thoughts on monitors you currently use or want to use.

YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipiscool View Post
For those of you interested in using custom in-ear monitors in a live setting, this video highlights current top models. The video is geared towards drummers, but these models are also used by many non-drummers. Also feel free to share thoughts on monitors you currently use or want to use.

YouTube
It's a marketing video for the companies that gave him stuff, and is very light as far as serious info is concerned. Just because famous musicians use a product does not mean its great...or good. The choice of IEMs is as subjective and personal as choosing your underwear and your toothbrush...everybody has different tastes.

If you have to modify the IEM for a better fit, it means that either the construction of the ear-piece, or the mould for the ear-piece was not made properly. Unfortunately, bad ear-piece construction is something I've seen at least three different times with one of the companies he was waxing about. The comfort and fit of the ear-piece is a lot more important than the number of components in the units...because if they don't fit correctly, the isolation will not be good, you will loose bass response and they will be uncomfortable to use for extended periods.

Making the ear-pieces from specially treated, high quality, medical grade materials is also more important than the number of drivers used. It keeps better form/is more durable and you won't get ear infections as easily.
Old 4 weeks ago
^ ^
Yup!

i've paid for some cheap IEM's in the past that use Shure SE215 drivers, which don't sound bad. But the manufacturing and the mold, which i had made at an audiologist, where completely uncomfortable and useless since i could not get a good seal while playing bass.

My out of the box SE215 (with yellow ear foamies) were more effective than these cheap IEM's.

Keep doing research, OP!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

^ ^
Yup! Always tour with SE215 spares.

Beware of JH models with the two-pin connector. The cables oxidize badly from sweat, less than 100% reliable after 30 shows. You have to either fab replacements or carry lots of spares. And because they fail so often, I've had to substitute SE215's with stock fittings many times, and frankly most are just as happy with them, and more like them over the JH's than not.

It all comes down to how much they flail their heads around. If they're not vicious headbangers start them on stock SE215's. Then if there's something they don't like, you have a point of reference to work with. You can come here and ask, "What IEM's have more/less [whatever] than SE215's?" and you'll get lots of specific well-informed highly polarized answers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

After everything that's said I don't know of any generic IEMs that will outperform a pair of well designed and made custom IEMs.

It starts with moulds that are made by experienced and knowledgeable audiologists, checked and hand worked by experienced technicians and not just thrown out by a 3D printer.

Ear-buds made with medical grade acrylic or silicone that are temperature stable with an anti-bacterial coating that extend into the ear canal, that fit well even around the outer ear, and don't stress the muscles in your ear or fall out during use. Ear-buds with gold-plated connectors that don't corrode after a few shows and good, braided cables that also have gold-plated connectors.

But regardless of the quality of the system however, you have to get your ears cleaned regularly and you must clean the ear buds inside and out after use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search