The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio in a circus tent
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio in a circus tent

Hi everyone. Just took a gig with a little mom and pop circus. They are looking to upgrade the sound and light rig and are not afraid spend for the right gear.

Little background..
I worked for them locally for their run in my town last year, and was offered the tour. Not really a que/playback guy, but it’s a good show, low stress and good people. (All ex Ringling people)

The current rig is EV stick rig zlx-12p/ elx118p with a Mackie proFX 12. Playback was via iTunes.

I have rebuilt the show in QLab, which was a big improvement. I’ve got a MR18 on order, and was thinking about 4 QSC K8.2’s mounted on the tent side poles with QSC 18’s on either side of the entrance portal to the stage.

Posting to ask if anyone has any better suggestions. If I had my way I’d have a little d&b Y rig to replace the EV, but they don’t have the budget for that.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How about something central located and covering in the round.
Is there a central pole in the tent?
Attached Thumbnails
Audio in a circus tent-big_bertha.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It’s a dual pole tent. 300 seat capacity. Something like you photo literally wouldn’t fly. That’s where all the Arielist rigging is. Stage is set between the king poles.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio in a circus tent-d3e96c28-f232-4c7f-a78f-5e921fa76940.jpeg   Audio in a circus tent-4257d1af-4ac1-471c-994f-1ddf5c1d0dbb.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My first concern would be coverage and cabling. LF extension is almost a separate issue once you come up with the best deployment option.

Perimeter speakers firing to the center would be my last choice for coherent sound, would require excessive cabling and due to the height restrictions of the roof at the side walls would place your speakers at too low a height. Instead, I'd mount three speakers on each of the two poles for 270 degree coverage, adequate height for more even SPL over the audience area and the ability to aim the speakers at the optimum downward angle. Check out the stadium install options of the various speaker manufacturers, not just the MI stuff for hobby audio. Mounting brackets and hardware will be available, can be permanently fixed to the poles for quick speaker hanging, will be insurable for liability and require minimal cabling when using passive speakers.

Another option would be the JBL CBT series: CBT70J-1 plus 70JE-1 System Products | JBL Professional
This would take care of your LF extension, but given the "in the round" nature of the performance might increase the cost beyond the budget.

The older EV Sx series speakers were extremely popular for this type of use. I used light pole bracket mounting of them for program announcing and/or delay speakers at outdoor fairs over the years. So...

Get 'em up high and angled down. Use factory hardware. Good luck.

Edit: Polar Focus
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thought of something mounted to the king poles, just not sure what manufacture and what series to look at.
The way the truck pack is, I can’t really have any permanent hardware on them.

Another possibility I thought of was mounting to the light trees. Concern with that is weight/safety.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixcore View Post
Thought of something mounted to the king poles, just not sure what manufacture and what series to look at.
The way the truck pack is, I can’t really have any permanent hardware on them.

Another possibility I thought of was mounting to the light trees. Concern with that is weight/safety.
I put a link to one source for brackets. Another would be Community Audio:

Products | Community Loudspeakers

Here you can choose from a slate of models/applications including the (excellent) speakers and all associated hardware. This gear is purpose built for what you need, offers a wide selestion of coverage patterns and will stand up to a lot of handling. They also offer consultation on choice of product and system design for little or no cost.

I'd "go pro" rather than cobble something together with random MI components...and definitely NOT powered speakers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you so much Wyllys. ? This is why I posted here. The knowledge and experience found in this community is priceless.

I was also looking at RCF. My old boss in NJ is a dealer and will give me very good pricing. I only have limited experience with Community but will be calling them tomorrow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you so much Wyllys. ? This is why I posted here. The knowledge and experience found in this community is priceless.

I was also looking at RCF. My old boss in NJ is a dealer and will give me very good pricing. I only have limited experience with Community but will be calling them tomorrow.
Another link: Community PMB-2RR Pole Mount Bracket For Dual Small R And Small WET Series Speakers | Full Compass Systems

As far as truck pack goes, I'd look to work out a mounting system with a low-profile permanently mounted bracket for the poles and a "quick-release" attachment for the bracketed speakers. Again, I'd look to Community for design assistance.

Good luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Is the stage in the round, or is it a thrust/catwalk runway kind of setup? I can't quite tell from that picture. And do the performers need monitors? If they're used to speakers around the perimeter pointing inward towards them (if I'm understanding correctly) I could imagine scenarios with this new setup where they wouldn't be able to hear the playback in the same way and might need something extra for themselves.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It’s kinda in the round. Audience in front, left and right to the upstage edge. Cutoff to backstage is the upstage edge.

No monitors currently as everyone can hear because the rig is on the ground. They don’t want the visual of having floor monitors for the show. My plan right now is to follow through with implimenting Wyllys’ sugestion of going high on the king poles with a fairly sharp down angle, and if I do 3 boxes per pole and get 270 degree coverage, there will be coverage on the stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio in a circus tent-image_960_0.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s kinda in the round. Audience in front, left and right to the upstage edge. Cutoff to backstage is the upstage edge.

No monitors currently as everyone can hear because the rig is on the ground. They don’t want the visual of having floor monitors for the show. My plan right now is to follow through with implimenting Wyllys’ sugestion of going high on the king poles with a fairly sharp down angle, and if I do 3 boxes per pole and get 270 degree coverage, there will be coverage on the stage.
Smart move...

Please do a follow-up on your progress. It will be very interesting to see how you impement the mounting system for truck-pack and ease of mounting/dismounting the bracketed speakers.

A lot will depend on the owners audio expectations regarding frequency range and SPL. I used to see a lot of EV "line radiator" columns for this config...very light weight, low-profile and wide coverage but no real modern-day LF extension. If I were to use the older format LR columns I'd think car-audio sized subwoofers (one in each cluster) for everything below 150hz. But the JBL CBT's I linked earlier would be killer if the budget allows.

Out of curiosity, what's this years itenerary?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I will give an update when it’s complete and share the solution and and the process.

Itinerary is not complete yet. We are currently in Miami until the 24th. Then we have a 3 week break, then Naples, somewhere in Nothern CA, then Tacoma. That’s all the info we have been given so far

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search