The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixers that are capable of recording live Mixers (Digital)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Mixers that are capable of recording live

Right now I’m using a pre-Sonus 16-02 Board the older version. I’m looking for a mixer that is capable of recording the live shows that I do without carrying a laptop with me also and less I would be mixing with it and recording with it. Would prefer something I can plug a flash drive or external hard drive into and then transferred to Computer after show. Thanks for any help that’s given
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Looking at taking a multitrack recording and mixing afterwards, correct?
Isn't that what the Presonus does? 16 channels via firewire?

Are you looking for higher track count or is there something else you're looking to improve on?

The Zoom LiveTrak has a built-in SD card for recording and I think it does 20 tracks.

I've heard the Behringer boards are good for live multitracking via USB as well.

I used to do live recording, had to take a 16 input interface and pull direct outs from the venue console. So much easier now, Mackie Onyx and others have direct outs via USB as well.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Zoom LiveTrak L-20? or L-12?

I really wish more boards had this function. USB out is great but having a built-in SD Card is great for redundancy as well.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

A&H QU/SQ to USB drive
Soundcraft UI4R (but not Si Impact, etc) to USB drive
QSC Touchmix to USB drive
Yamaha TF to USB drive
X32 (with X-Live card) to SD card.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
A&H QU/SQ to USB drive
I've just been playing with the Qu Pac's multitracking facility and I must say, once you've sourced an original, wholemeal, left-handed, virgin-blessed, albino Western Digital hard drive and thrice dipped it in the Euphrates (North Bank, naturally) to make it compatible with the desk, it's really a piece of cake and sounds fantastic.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I've just been playing with the Qu Pac's multitracking facility and I must say, once you've sourced an original, wholemeal, left-handed, virgin-blessed, albino Western Digital hard drive and thrice dipped it in the Euphrates (North Bank, naturally) to make it compatible with the desk, it's really a piece of cake and sounds fantastic.
Fair call! And true that a few of the devices that mix to USB drives can be fussy.

I do really like what the X32 will do with the X-Live card installed. 2 SD card slots, where it will flip from 1 to 2 then 1 is full. Even nicer is the option to fit a lithium battery so that files will be written and closed down properly even in the event of a power failure. All that, and not a scary price!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The question rests with determining the number of needed channels and length of the performance. I started with PreSonus direct outs to my DAW and when I switched over the the A & H QU world (QU16 and later a QUsb) the Flash drive option was not as dependable for my multi-tracking as the USB drive to my DAW. If space is the main concern I strongly recommend the QUsb with I-Pad controller and a lap top housing a DAW. The convenience of flash drives has to be weighed against the dependability of USB to a DAW. The reality is a DAW will be necessary to manage any and all multi-track post production activity so why nor start out with it properly in the DAW from the git go.
Hugh
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I agree that recording to a flash drive can be risky, but recording direct to SSD is usually quite reliable (it's a widely used format for video recording these days as well). The QSC Touchmix allows you to record direct to hard drive or SSD; I use the Samsung T5 and it has been rock-solid. The Touchmix actually lets you remix your recorded files and add effects, etc., but it's pretty clunky compared with a DAW.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecold1 View Post
Right now I’m using a pre-Sonus 16-02 Board the older version. I’m looking for a mixer that is capable of recording the live shows ... plug a flash drive or external hard drive into and then transferred to Computer after show....
I had been using a Midas DL151 connected to an X32-Core that has the internal X-Live SD recording function. For "redundancy" I also used the USB output of the X-Live to capture the tracks in a laptop running Waves Tracks Live.

To improve redundancy, I recently bought a QSC TouchMix-16 and a Midas MR18. There's an ART S8 mic splitter for the first 8 tracks, and for now the MR18 supplies the phantom power.

So the QSC is self-contained, capturing onto 32GB Samsung BAR Plus SSD's, while a laptop captures the MR18 tracks. I can now use one or the other, but the QSC with its carrying case is definitely the preferred choice if I'm bringing just one device and it's an event/show rather than a recording session that may require overdubs.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I had been using a Midas DL151 connected to an X32-Core that has the internal X-Live SD recording function. For "redundancy" I also used the USB output of the X-Live to capture the tracks in a laptop running Waves Tracks Live.

To improve redundancy, I recently bought a QSC TouchMix-16 and a Midas MR18. There's an ART S8 mic splitter for the first 8 tracks, and for now the MR18 supplies the phantom power.

So the QSC is self-contained, capturing onto 32GB Samsung BAR Plus SSD's, while a laptop captures the MR18 tracks. I can now use one or the other, but the QSC with its carrying case is definitely the preferred choice if I'm bringing just one device and it's an event/show rather than a recording session that may require overdubs.
That is a ferocious amount of redundancy considering the price points of the gear. I'm equally impressed and mouth-barfing. Add a Tascam MX2424 on an unisolated analog split and there should be a Guinness record book rep on site.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
That is a ferocious amount of redundancy considering the price points of the gear. I'm equally impressed and mouth-barfing. ...
Slow down there!
I just realized that my description implies that the DL151/X32core remained part of the recording setup with the MR18 and the QSC. No... The ART S8 splitter is the 2-way, not the 3-way version, so *only* the MR18/laptop and the QSC go with me to the site.

The problem was that the DL151/X32 combo is heavy in its 4U flight/road case. Once upon a time I had run this combo with a Dante card and two laptops. That was clumsy and heavy. I had packaged the DL151 in its own 2U SKB case, and the X32core in its own 1U Gator bag, and that was simply clumsy, while it also added setup worries because distractions abound when trying to get settled in at a concert. I think I'll be better off with the new combo.

I did take the step of building in a couple of 4-way modular snakes inside the 4U case to make setup easier. I am finishing up a set of EtherCon cables in a range of lengths varying from 45-ft to 150-ft. I have enough of those modular stage boxes for 16 channels. A couple of quick cellphone pictures are attached. The QSC is in the shadows off to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixers that are capable of recording live-mr18-4u-inside1.jpg   Mixers that are capable of recording live-mr18-4u-front1.jpg   Mixers that are capable of recording live-mr18-4u-qsc1.jpg  

Last edited by MediaGary; 3 days ago at 06:43 PM.. Reason: added better pic to show both mixers
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

You can record directly to a hard drive with the Soundcraft Ui24R as long as the hard drive is plugged in a self powered USB hub.
The Ui24r will not provide enough power to drive a hard drive from its USB port.
You can multitrack record raw tracks and remix it later back through the Ui24R or a DAW on your computer.
Works very well and is an excellent sounding rack mount mixer.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I've found the Soundcraft Ui24r to be rock solid as far as recording to USB thumb drive. I probably have 50 hours of recording 16-18 tracks plus main mix. You just need to get a fast one and you're good to go. What's just as cool is you can remix the show and record the finished 2 track stereo back into the same thumb drive that's outputting the individual tracks.
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

The Mackie DL32r does it. Just hook up a USB drive and it outputs to a single wav file that contains each track individually. (Think 32channel wav file).
When I get it home, I take the files, explode them, run them through a Reaper template and get a board mix in just a few minutes. I also think it has the most intuitive user interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search