The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running mono beats live into 2 speaks, one delayed by ms Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Running mono beats live into 2 speaks, one delayed by ms

So I have some mono beats and analog fx processing I’m doing in the octatrack.
So my chain is
Octa>eq pedal>di>powered mono speaker.

Next I’ll take the xlr out of that speaker into a reamp box>delay>guitar amp

I was planning on dialing a short delay on the amp to hopefully create a cool depth/texture in the live domain.

For now I’m just playing in a small space or bar...no big live venues.

Are there anything to be aware for or adjust? Will my beats phase cancel if I’m standing in weird spot?

I’m thinking of CAN’s mushroom sound....cool, slap back-y....messed up, psychedelic sound.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
It’ll either be fine or a total mess. Can you not just try it out?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah I can, but I was also just looking for a more scientific thoughts in relation to phase, eq and positioning from someone who might have more experience than me. “Just try it out”= ok bud
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Putting delay FX on one speaker is not really in the science/phase department, it’s just a creative choice. Can not get much phase cancel in an acoustic space because the sound bounces off everywhere, creating a dispersion of paths that are uncorrelated and cannot fully cancel. Cancellation tends to come from polarity inversions anyway, not delay FX.

But your signal flow has delay in most of the mix.

What you hear on Mushroom is just delay on snare, it’s not on the whole kit or anything else. Delaying a kick drum is in the file under next to hardly ever probably never. But there’s only one way to find out!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Going out of phase below 300Hz is a good way of making people feel seasick and creating cancellation in the LF region, your kick starts to sound wishy-washy instead of punchy etc.

You can use a stereo EQ or stereo widening processor to do what you want, but ideally you will need to keep the signal below 300Hz in mono so things don't go haywire...if you can get your hands on one, a TC Finalizer 96 will do this (and other things) elegantly.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Mushroom is the whole drum kit going through a delayed repro head into an amp and back to tape. CAN weren’t multi tracking drums until way later early 70s.

Delaying a sound by a few m/s seems like it’s related to phase relations to me, for example how albini delays ambient mics by m/s to not interfere w closer mic frequencies. This in practice is more controllable in a mixing scenario than in a live situation.
Delay is merely staggering a mono factsimile by a few m/s and using a different eq since it’ll be a guitar amp. If I don’t delay one side I won’t have quite the depth of field I’m looking for out of an electronic set in a small room. Everything will be true mono from the source. Hence flipping phase would also have dramatic shift, possibly for the better. I guess I will just have to try it...cutting the lows in the delayed side may indeed be wise though...def trying to find the sweet spot between depth and seasick....thanks
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Who is going to be dead center in the space to hear the effect? Who are you going to delay for? Anyone off axis left or right is already hearing a delay between the left and the right speaker. Delaying more could really be nice for one side or really be bad for the other, and that will change as a person walks side to side.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search