The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can storing gear in the cold cause damage?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Can storing gear in the cold cause damage?

Hi all,

I live in New Hampshire and the winters are cold.

I use passive subs, powered speakers, and two racks of power amps, EQs, etc.

If I leave my gear in the van or in my unheated garage will it damage anything?

Also, would it help if I kept everything covered with blankets?

Note - I always let it warm up to room temp before using at gigs.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Covering inanimate objects with blankets does not keep them warm.

I don’t think it’s a problem. Imagine all the trucks parked in Canada doing hockey games. That’s cold.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

No problems due to temperature, at least at New England lattitudes. I guarantee that the trucks that deliver the gear to stores and warehouses do not have heated trailers. If you were in, say, Deadhorse, AK, at the northern end of the Dalton Highway, it might be a bit more of a concern...but even then I rather doubt it.

As brew said, a blanket will do nothing at all, assuming it's not an electric blanket plugged in and turned on.
Old 6 days ago
Been storing audio equipment in an unheated garage for years with no problems. Just make sure you let it warm up before using it and watch for condensation when you take it from cold storage to a warm venue. Condensation is water and water conducts electricity so... BE CAREFUL
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
gear & cold

As a fellow New Englander (SE Mass) much of my gear is stored in an unheated storage unit.
As long as the gear has had time to warm prior to use, there hasn't been a problem.

What I find to be more of an issue is moisture during the summer months.
Moisture seems to "wick-up" though concrete floors in the summer. (Have you ever left a cardboard box on a garage or basement floor in the summer?) I have found that rack hardware (metal corner guards, etc.) will rust if left on the floor.

All of my gear in storage is stored in racks with casters or stacked on 2x4's (with space underneath to allow things to breathe.)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Guess I'm all set now.

Thanks everyone.
Old 2 days ago
Yeah it's not so much temperature as rapid *change* in temperature that does damage. Lots of bands travel with large scale PAs in the winter in unheated trucks. Just let it heat gradually (ie. don't be busting out hair dryers or heat guns) and you'll be fine.

Also good call on the don't-store-it-directly-on-the-ground from above...chances are there's somewhere close to you that is giving away wooden pallets (someone always is, check out craigslist), so get yourself a bunch of em and put them down first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search