The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help - wireless vocal mic / Shure PGX audio dropouts Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Help - wireless vocal mic / Shure PGX audio dropouts

Hi all,

I have to mix a musical theatre show (FOH) and they are using Shure PGX2 with SM58 heads. They use 4 of those and I getnoise and dropouts every now and then (audio snippets attached). Very annoying. Is there anything I can do to avoid it? Or is it just that they are entry level wireless mics? Thanks for any idea you may want to share!
Attached Files

vox pgx 2 1.mp3 (35.7 KB, 53 views)

vox pgx2 2.mp3 (34.7 KB, 51 views)

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

at which radio frequencies are the microphones set?
are you using two antennas?
do the microphones go outside the recommended range? (to far away from the antennas)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi thanks for replying!

The radio frequencies are set automatically (auto scan).

The cheapo receivers have two antennas each and are placed in front of the mixing console on the ramp (is that the word?) of the balcony. Those bloody receivers have got the best seats in the whole venue, with plenty of space around them to breathe and receive.

The performers are well within reach at about 15m distance and according to the specs that say operating range of 100m.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thought I would give a little follow up.

So rescanning all the mics and setting channels a few numbers apart from each other (like 1, 6, 9) and setting up a wired mic instead of one of the wireless ones, bringing the total number of wireless units to 3 instead of 4, did the trick. A lot of cursing helped a tremendous amount too.

FOH is definitely not my thing and people doing that job on a regular basis have got my profound admiration !
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search