The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neutrik Speakon cables/jacks - 2 vs. 4 pole question
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Neutrik Speakon cables/jacks - 2 vs. 4 pole question

I need speaker cables - strictly for sub cabinets, no bi-amping.

I'm new to using speakon plugs/jacks and just discovered the 2/4 pole thing.

My new power amp takes 2 or 4 pole connectors.

Do I want to install 2 pole or 4 pole jacks in my subs?

And do I want 2 or 4 pole cables?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
I need speaker cables - strictly for sub cabinets, no bi-amping.

I'm new to using speakon plugs/jacks and just discovered the 2/4 pole thing.

My new power amp takes 2 or 4 pole connectors.

Do I want to install 2 pole or 4 pole jacks in my subs?

And do I want 2 or 4 pole cables?

Thanks.
It depends...

If you want "future proof" investment, go NL4 all the way so if you ever need to run an amp bridged or to minimize the number of cables/runs by using 4 pole jacks on your subs and pass signal to your tops with a jumper...you can.

So it depends.
Old 1 week ago
Do it right the first time

NL4 all the way.
Yes, four conductor cables with NL4's are more expensive than NL2 & two conductor cables...but....
...if you ever upgrade (never say never) and you bought NL2's you would most likely be stuck.
Buy once, cry once applies here.
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

Definitely NL4 connectors. If you install NL2 on your equipment then commonly available NL4 cables won't fit.

I went with 2-wire cables, but that makes my cables less useful to others. 2-wire is all I need.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm seeing "PLOYNK Neutrik" brand cables on eBay.

Are these real Neutrik or junk?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdd View Post
I'm seeing "PLOYNK Neutrik" brand cables on eBay.

Are these real Neutrik or junk?
PLOYNK seems to be a company that makes cables. Looking at the other listings, they make cables with real Neutrik connectors, as well as (presumably cheaper) ones with imitation connectors.

You've already got advice to use 4-pole connectors rather than save a few pennies with the 2-pole versions, and my advice would be to go with the real Neutriks rather than some knockoff of unknown quality.

It's not hard to roll your own, if you are so inclined. NL4FX plugs are about $5 each, and you can get 14/2 or 12/2 SJOOW cabtire at your local hardware store. You don't need to know how to solder, in fact the connectors are designed to be solderless. It helps to have a no. 2 Pozidrive screwdriver, but a Phillips head driver will work in a pinch if you are careful.

Just pay attention to put the wires on the 1+ and 1- terminals, and wire each connector exactly the same. The Neutrik package has a diagram on it show you how to strip the wire. Follow it closely. If you strip it too far back, the excellent strain relief will not work properly.

Geoff
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
It depends...

If you want "future proof" investment, go NL4 all the way so if you ever need to run an amp bridged or to minimize the number of cables/runs by using 4 pole jacks on your subs and pass signal to your tops with a jumper...you can.

So it depends.

I DO intend to run my amp in bridged mode - does that mean I DEFINITELY
need NL4 cables and jacks?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc6403 View Post
PLOYNK seems to be a company that makes cables. Looking at the other listings, they make cables with real Neutrik connectors, as well as (presumably cheaper) ones with imitation connectors.

You've already got advice to use 4-pole connectors rather than save a few pennies with the 2-pole versions, and my advice would be to go with the real Neutriks rather than some knockoff of unknown quality.

It's not hard to roll your own, if you are so inclined. NL4FX plugs are about $5 each, and you can get 14/2 or 12/2 SJOOW cabtire at your local hardware store. You don't need to know how to solder, in fact the connectors are designed to be solderless. It helps to have a no. 2 Pozidrive screwdriver, but a Phillips head driver will work in a pinch if you are careful.

Just pay attention to put the wires on the 1+ and 1- terminals, and wire each connector exactly the same. The Neutrik package has a diagram on it show you how to strip the wire. Follow it closely. If you strip it too far back, the excellent strain relief will not work properly.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff,

I have a ton of nice 12/2 wire and I've been soldering for years.

It sounds like making my own is the way for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but if you had actually given information like make and model of all the components involved along with your planned configuration and use then you'd have an answer by now. And if you had simply read the manuals and put some thought and effort into it you wouldn't need to be spoon-fed the information over the internet.

Good luck.

Really?

Did you actually READ the post above yours?

In the post I quoted right before this one I got the solution from Geoff and
I acknowledged it. Case closed.

But you still thought it necessary to slap me around?

Everyone who responded understood me perfectly and didn't need any more
information from me before giving helpful advice.

Everyone except for you.

Nobody else needed make, model, or configuration details to answer a simple
cable connector question - they all answered it just fine.

And what manual was I suppose to read that would tell me the difference between 2 and 4 pole connectors?

No, you're not harsh at all.

You're professional, helpful, and understanding.

Thanks for trying to make me feel like **** just so you feel better about yourself.
Old 1 week ago
S21
Lives for gear

NL2 cables will plug into NL4 panel sockets, but NL4 cables will not plug into NL2 panel sockets. I don't know whether NL2 exists in the real world. I can't remember ever having seen a NL2 connector.

The amp manual will specify how it requires bridge mode connections. There is a fairly common and simple pinout for bridge mode into 2-wire NL4, but it is best to read the amp manual as bridge mode over speakon may not be supported.

It is the amp end of the cable where the pinout changes for bridged mode. The wiring of speakon connectors at your subs should be unchanged.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search