The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software based digital mixer
Old 21st January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJ View Post
Hey! I jumped on this site, because I am actually looking real serious at the XR 18. I am on a budget, and even though I'm not jumping up and down about not having a board in front of me, just a laptop, it looks like it's pretty good. Do you know how the two hi-z inputs are, in other words, do you still need a DI box??
In the genre of the surface-less mixer, the XR18 is a great mixer, at an unbeatable price. As with all mixers of this type, you need to be on top of the networking with an external router, and spend time getting used to mixing on glass. With that under your belt, you're unlikely to be disappointed. And, while the hi-z inputs and the combo input sockets don't provide all the benefits of a full transformer isolated DI, you're likely to find that they're all you need.

I've been a happy user for years - no looking back for me!
Here for the gear

Thank you. Carl
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audibell View Post
You're teaching youths, have a low budget, analog and complex won't do and not Stateside?

Behringer xr12 will introduce anyone to digital live mixing for about $250. Plug it into a $50 router, add a laptop with the free controller app and cable to a 54" tv for class view.

Add a few wifi tablets and students can take turns screwing up each others' settings, thereby learning.
The XR 18 still has a notable advantage over the 16 or 12 since it is an 18 channel interface as well. There is no need to plug anything into the inputs you can simulate having all the instruments playing.
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
In the genre of the surface-less mixer, the XR18 is a great mixer, at an unbeatable price. As with all mixers of this type, you need to be on top of the networking with an external router, and spend time getting used to mixing on glass. With that under your belt, you're unlikely to be disappointed. And, while the hi-z inputs and the combo input sockets don't provide all the benefits of a full transformer isolated DI, you're likely to find that they're all you need.

I've been a happy user for years - no looking back for me!
+ 1 from me, too.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I read the original poster's request and he's looking for a "a software based digital mixer. The main goal is to teach students to use digital mixers."

He also mentioned " I would like to teach the students to use a digital mixer, that is more "live sound" oriented environment than studio editing stuff."

We all know here the 16 and 18 have more channels/features and the 18 can return DAW channels when in interface mode, exactly what the OP said he knew about and didn't need. So more features weren't mentioned except for considering the way-more capable x-32, in due course.
Thanks, though,
WalterT
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just saw this in a prosoundweb email and I remembered this thread:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/sae-inst...cational-tool/

It seems to be exactly what the OP was asking for.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
I had this exact same problem: and I believe I hit a close answer...

School computer plays a multitrack recording of a session.

Output from any multi channel interface (with a low volume output, to sort-of simulate a mic level signal).

TRS to XLR adaptation.

Into a MOTU B16

MOTU B16 is networked into a router, with the B16's IP address port forwarded.

Any student can then type the IP address into any web browser, and has control of the MOTU mixing software, which has all the same flow signal & vocabulary as a traditional mixer. Gain/Gate/EQ/Compression/Aux/Groups ect ect.

Then use the MOTUs onboard patch bay to loopback the MainMix to "To Computer 1&2" & use Cleanfeed (also accessable via a web browser") so the student can hear what they're doing.

Similar to the XR18 suggestions, though more accessible to your average students, who might have a variety of devices.

The above isn't a replacement for the in person experience... but it seems to work well in a pinch, to let students play around with the basics.
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Software based mixing is asking for a trainwreck during a live show. That is why no one does that. Maybe you should teach your kids that.
Gear Head
While I wouldn't mix a show on a tablet or a computer, lots of schools aren't (or are minimizing) meeting in person due to COVID.

If you have a dozen students who don't know "gain" from EQ, you gotta start somewhere, and be a little bit creative in these strange times.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Dixon View Post
Software based mixing is asking for a trainwreck during a live show. That is why no one does that. Maybe you should teach your kids that.
Taken literally, your comment is absurd, as every digital mixer is software based mixing. Clearly, almost every pro gig these days uses "software based" digital mixing and, in the main, goes very well.

Assuming what you really mean is "mixing on glass" using a tablet or similar, there are many people, myself included, who've had many positive non-trainwreck gigs. Not least, it can be an absolute enabler when there are no clear cable runs to a suitable mix position. The biggest risk in this context is wireless mixing of course, but there are mitigations against that which can be taken.

Then again, I do remember you telling us a few weeks ago that all digital technology was inherantly unreliable and error prone...
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Dixon View Post
The link I posted is a digital simulation of an audient analog console that is meant to be used for teaching purposes, which is the original question in the thread. It’s not meant for mixing a live show.

With that being said, many shows are mixed on digital now with no more problems than analog had, the possible problems are just different. And as was mentioned, every digital board is software based mixing now. If you mean without physical fader control, I agree that physical faders are really helpful, but I’ve also mixed many a gig with just a tablet as my interface. I prefer to at least have my x-touch with me but sometimes It’s not possible and the gig has still gone well.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear