The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic recommendation for alto vocal in a rock band ?
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Everything changes if the room/stage has good acoustics, the stage is quiet and the sound tech. knows his/her job.
Yeah that's my point. More like, everything changes when those things are not the case. I don't know how people say that the mics you'd pick wouldn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I work with bands in lot of different genres including REALLY loud rock bands that play from small clubs to arenas and stadiums. I know that all the microphones on my list will work well in the OP’s specific situation because I’ve actually used them in similar situations.
If you mean these: "RE20, MBHO 219, M88, MD 421, Earthworks SR40V", I mean they are all undeniably good mics (the MBHO I haven't tried).

However, out of those I would only suggest the M88 and even then you'd have to train the singer to deal with hypercardioid patterns, and you'd likely still have to EQ it because it can often too bright. The RE20 sounds amazing but I can't think you're serious suggesting a girl will put one of those in front of her head every night – it would cover her whole face! The MD421 I like the sound of but it's incredibly awkward to hold and it has the clip of doom. And the SR40V is one of the best handheld vocal mics at any price, but it will just not have enough gain-before-feedback in situations such as the one in OP's video.

I'd like to try the Lewitt MTP 840 DM because the polar pattern looks very good, and the MBHO brand is made by a guy who worked with Schoeps so it could be great. I have no opinion on them.

The main thing pissing people you guys off here is my suggestion that EQ'ing a mic such as the OM7 you can get a good sound. It's possibly the skill of the sound engineer that they can't?

Anyway I put my money where my mouth is and I did a test with a good female rock vocalist on a DPA d:facto linear at about 2 inches away from the mic, and an OM7 with the lips basically touching the mic (which creates a certain acoustic distortion but provides ultimate gain-before-feedback). Both are going straight into an Apogee interface's mic inputs. Here are the files.

The only difference between the two OM7 files is a decent minimum-phase EQ the likes you can get in a digital mixer – nothing else.

Of course the DPA still sounds better. It's alongside the Earthworks one of the best in the business, that's why I have one. And the OM7's raw sound is spitty and boomy. However, at this point it's up to the listener to say whether they would find the EQ'd sound unusable. I have nothing else to bring up to the table in that regard.
Attached Files

DPA d-facto Linear.wav (4.31 MB, 178 views)

OM7 No EQ.wav (4.31 MB, 181 views)

OM7 With EQ.wav (4.31 MB, 174 views)

Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
If you mean these: "RE20, MBHO 219, M88, MD 421, Earthworks SR40V", I mean they are all undeniably good mics (the MBHO I haven't tried).

However, out of those I would only suggest the M88 and even then you'd have to train the singer to deal with hypercardioid patterns, and you'd likely still have to EQ it because it can often too bright. The RE20 sounds amazing but I can't think you're serious suggesting a girl will put one of those in front of her head every night – it would cover her whole face! The MD421 I like the sound of but it's incredibly awkward to hold and it has the clip of doom. And the SR40V is one of the best handheld vocal mics at any price, but it will just not have enough gain-before-feedback in situations such as the one in OP's video.
This is not a debate....I’ve already used all these microphones in extremely loud situations many times and is sure that they sound better than the OM7 without jumping through any hoops, I don’t think I really need to say anything else. I have no problem twisting knobs to get the sound I’m looking for and have not suggested that we should not use EQ, I’m not suggesting the OP use any of the mics on my list, I’m only making the point that I’ve use them (and others) with good/excellent results...the OM7 is a non starter for me since it came out, I don’t care who uses it.

My suggestion to the OP is that they should test microphones until they find something they really like and that works for them, your insistence that the OM7 is the best mic for these conditions is bizarre to me based on my experience with it and other microphones in all kinds of conditions.

Quote:
The main thing pissing people you guys off here is my suggestion that EQ'ing a mic such as the OM7 you can get a good sound.
NO! Hope this is clear now. Read the thread again everybody was clear why they disagreed with you.

Quote:
Anyway I put my money where my mouth is and I did a test with a good female rock vocalist on a DPA d:facto linear at about 2 inches away from the mic, and an OM7 with the lips basically touching the mic (which creates a certain acoustic distortion but provides ultimate gain-before-feedback). Both are going straight into an Apogee interface's mic inputs. Here are the files.

The only difference between the two OM7 files is a decent minimum-phase EQ the likes you can get in a digital mixer – nothing else.

Of course the DPA still sounds better. It's alongside the Earthworks one of the best in the business, that's why I have one. And the OM7's raw sound is spitty and boomy. However, at this point it's up to the listener to say whether they would find the EQ'd sound unusable. I have nothing else to bring up to the table in that regard.
I rest my case....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear