The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New PA system not loud enough??
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

New PA system not loud enough??

Recently purchased (2) EV elx200-18sp and (2) EV ekx12p. Im using them with a soundcraft fx16 mixer, two xlrs out of the main mix outputs to each sub then to the tops. After setting my PFLs for each channel I have to end up setting my faders really high just to get any volume and feedback is a problem. The signal inputs on the back of the speakers are barely moving like they're not getting enough signal. The gain on the back of each speaker is set to 0db. I previously used this mixer with passive speakers. And had no problems like this. Help!???
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If you are not getting sufficient gain from the amplifiers in the speakers, then turn up their gain controls.

Feedback is a separate issue, which has to do with the overall system gain from the microphone on all the way around back to the microphone. It matters not if the gain is coming from the fader setting or the power amplifier. To fix it, you need to either find a way to use less gain (such as better microphone technique to improve pickup, singing with greater projection, or muting unneeded channels) or rearrange the setup so there is less sound from the speakers reaching the microphones. EQ and other processing can also help if properly applied, albeit with more or less of an effect on the overall sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen4766 View Post
Recently purchased (2) EV elx200-18sp and (2) EV ekx12p. Im using them with a soundcraft fx16 mixer, two xlrs out of the main mix outputs to each sub then to the tops. After setting my PFLs for each channel I have to end up setting my faders really high just to get any volume and feedback is a problem. The signal inputs on the back of the speakers are barely moving like they're not getting enough signal. The gain on the back of each speaker is set to 0db. I previously used this mixer with passive speakers. And had no problems like this. Help!???
Go through the menu and check all the settings. If you can't figure it out on your own with the manual and/or the EV ELX YouTube tutorials, try calling EV customer service and have them walk you through it.

Odds are that the gear is fine, you just have to study up and learn how it works.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bring up the main volume on the back or the EV's just a bit. Just make sure you bring the level up the same on the subs. Those EV's are tightly tuned. Also check the internal gain's on the speakers as well. You have a great system there. We don't have the ELX subs but the EKX ones and our system rocks all mid-sized clubs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen4766 View Post
Let's pause and walk through this. One step at a time.

1. You made a significant change - from passive speakers with an amp, to active speakers with an inbuilt amp.

2. You are also routing the signal from the mixer through EV active subwoofers, and then onto the EV EKX 12p tops.

One of the things I would do just to eliminate any issues with this routing was to temporarily connect the mixer directly to the tops, bypassing the subs. Its only temporary just so I can be sure that the subs are not doing something strange, or maybe the connection to the subs was incorrect, for example if I was connecting the signal to the wrong place on the sub.

This is just a basic check, assuming that the output from the mixer was at the right level.

If you still do not get ample sound from the speaker tops, and cables are ok - which you can check by for example swapping left and right cables, or try some spare cables, which you should have anyway, in a live scenario as backups.

If cables are ok, and still not getting ample sound from the direct connection to the speaker tops, then we have to go back to the basics - aka gain staging.

Between each output and the next input or stage on your mixer/or connected devices, there are ideal signal level ranges/maximums.

It is possible that in changing from the passive speakers to your active speakers, you have changed the gain staging,

or

it could be that your previous amp was so powerful that even when you supplied it a low signal from the mixer, it still amplified it to provide an audible result (not ideal but workable), and you now have speakers which are not as powerful, and need to be fed with the right (higher) level of audio signal.

Simple approach -

1. Set your mixer main outputs to zero DB.

2. Set your gain levels on the active speaker tops to Zero DB, or maximum gain (ideally zero dB).

3. Solo a single microphone channel on the mixer. adjust all eq gain controls to zero dB. Adjust the fader on this channel to zero. Then adjust the preamp on the microphone channel until you get the signal peaking on the main outputs of yoru mixer at about 0 DB on the meters, when someone sings or speaks on the microphone.

4. At this point you should definitely have output on your speakers tops which are directly connected to the mixer.

Then next steps are easier. Once you prove you have a connection to the speaker. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

there's an easy was to test: bring up a single mic (such as the lead vocal mic) up to to read reasonable levels (the necessary gain and channel plus master at unity):
if not loud enough (check with an spl meter), you have not enough rig for the gig!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OP AWOL since posting...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...still better than 'missing in action'?!

maybe valuable for some other folks (i hope)...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search