The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question for ZED10FX inserts Analog Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

question for ZED10FX inserts

Hi new here and have a simple question. I own the ZED 10FX and I understand there are no separate channel inserts. I'm trying to setup a karaoke rig and want to compress 2 mic inputs without compressing the main out. Is there a possible workaround or am I stuck with either compressing everything or nothing at all. Also will it sound terrible if I compress everything? Thanks! Compressor is Behringer MDX2600.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Compressing everything shouldn't sound "terrible" (assuming reasonable compression settings), but it equally well won't accomplish what you're attempting to accomplish by compressing a microphone channel. It won't help you get a more stable mix between the vocals and the music tracks.

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to use an outboard microphone preamp, send its output to the compressor, and send the compressor output to the line input jacks on the mixer. I wouldn't think you'd need a particularly boutique or fancy preamp for this particular application.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Drew, I guess that's an option but means another device (2 channel amp), power and cables. It never ends. Thinking of just selling the ZED and going with a mixer with separate insert channels but I really enjoy the ZED's FX for mics. Was hoping there was a way to use the AUX channel just to compress the mics but I'm not sure that will work. Thanks again
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I suppose you could run the aux (monitor) send to the compressor, and then return via another channel. Disadvantages: you can't individually pan the microphones, you can't have individual effects send levels on them, and they don't get individually compressed. If you only have one microphone actually being used at a time--no duets--then it might work out reasonably okay-ish. For both microphones in use together I think it would be none too handy.

A mixer with channel inserts would be a good option, of course, as you mention. (If possible, I personally wouldn't sell the Zed in that case if I could afford to hang on to it. It's a really well-built and handy audio swiss army knife that is handy in lots of little situations.)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Very true, I love the ZED, very well built and handles anything I throw at it. I guess I should first try and see what compressing the entire mix sounds like. My biggest fear for karaoke is screaming and accidental mic drops. if I can prevent blowing a speaker without sacrificing the overall output quality I'll be fine with keeping the ZED and maybe adding a preamp down the road, thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search