The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MixWiz 2, Crystal Ball Needed PA Speakers & PA Management
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

MixWiz 2, Crystal Ball Needed

Purchased in 2017 for $300, similar ones were going for twice that. Coupla iffy XLR channel inputs, wiggle induced noise.

Channel 8 went very quiet using XLR input, during early home testing. No audio at all using its quarter inch line input.

I opened up the folding patchbay to find access to all input jacks blocked by a circuit board. The jacks are physically mounted to the steel case, and soldered to the board.

One of the iffy XLRs showed a clear problem... from the back. A pool of solder with the lead sticking up like a tent in the middle, and a concentric ring where the solder was broken, halfway between the edge of the pool and the lead.

I used an iron to heat all 4 iffy connectors, plus channel 8 up to melting point. Three of the four now work ok. One still iffy. Channel 8 still very quiet on XLR, no audio on line in.

Last gig, the board tested as expected before packing up. At the gig, faders up... no right side.

I wound up DJing in mono. Just used the Driverack PA2 to feed both speakers, it sounded ok, except for "Smells Like Teen Spirit", live, which I'm not intending to ever play again, anyway.

Swapped the output cable after the gig, right output worked fine for 20 minutes, then right cut out again.

Clear to me I have to unmount, disassemble, and solder them ALL...

And then what?

Is it dead? Are these boards known for this? Is it going to let me down till I replace it?

I love the sound. Silky. I like the EQ, the form factor, love six auxes per channel, need 16x2 in a rackmount no matter what.

If I resolder every jack, from the back of the circuitboard, rack her back up, cable it, and get to the next gig with the bulletproof anvil case on its side, the only way it fits in the truck...

...will the re-hab effort give me reliable performance for a coupla years... or more like a coupla minutes?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Of course it's impossible for us to know what the problem is exactly or how long any repairs might last. If you take it to an authorized repair shop, they may be able to track down and solve your problems, but again, there's no guarantee of that either. Otherwise, you can access the jack panel from the front side by removing all of those mounting nuts that hold them onto the frame and pulling the board.

I used to have a mixwiz years ago and had similar problems with things cutting in and out. I finally got sick of it and sold it in 2017 for roughly $300. (No, just kidding. )

If your reputation depends on it, it may be time to update to more reliable equipment. You could always save the Mixwiz as an emergency backup mixer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a wonderful repair tech available. Any used analog gear goes to him for a thorough up-spiffing before jobbing. Cost is usually $200-300 and means basically "good as new". It's the cost of doing business.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In the absence of people lining up to tell me that all Mixwizzezzez do this, there's really only one way forward.

It's useless as it sits, worth $3-400 fixed, and no way to tell which without resoldering the connectors and see what happens.

By the way, I didn't get jaked too bad. The seller didn't even notice I paid for it with Monopoly money.

;-)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search