The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL PRX815XLFW or Bose F1 Sub? Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

JBL PRX815XLFW or Bose F1 Sub?

Hi all! First post after lurking for a decade, woo hoo.

Looking to add a sub to my mobile DJ setup.

Currently running 2 QSC K12's and need some bass.
My buddy is selling a JBL PRX815XLFW and a Bose F1 sub for the same price, around $700 each.

I like how light they both are since it's just me lugging gear and their specs are almost identical on paper. The only real difference is that I could pole mount a top over the JBL but don't think I can with the Bose unless I get the Bose F1 top.

Would love to hear what you think since I am stuck!

Thanks.

edit: I had also been looking at the RCF 705asII but haven't found a deal on it.

Last edited by putzkrieg; 5 days ago at 12:13 AM.. Reason: forgot something!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I know and feel you. However, I would not go for either. Check out the Bassboss SSP118. That is all you need. Sure they cost more but you will get a lightweight small sub that sounds and feels like a double 18 sub. They have financing options in which you will get it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Performance wise, it looks like a push.

1 - The JBL would be more flexible simply because it has a pole mount so you can mount a speaker above it

2 - I believe the JBL will easier to sell if you ever want to move on to something else

3 - If you want to buy another, the JBL will likely be easier to source and get a good price for. I'm guessing more are sold so could find another used. Also, Bose may be harder to find discounts on but the street price JBL is 20% less than the MAP price (or more). In fact, you can find B stock JBL PRX815XLFW for $699. So if your friend is selling a used box and you can't get him down on the price, I'd buy new.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBassmonster View Post
I know and feel you. However, I would not go for either. Check out the Bassboss SSP118. That is all you need. Sure they cost more but you will get a lightweight small sub that sounds and feels like a double 18 sub. They have financing options in which you will get it.
This sub is $3000 (4X what the OP is looking to buy) and weighs 125 lbs.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Like their other products, the Bose F1s may look good in theory or by what the local GC rep is telling you, but they are completely useless as subs. I don't know much about the JBL, but it has to be better than the F1.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
Like their other products, the Bose F1s may look good in theory or by what the local GC rep is telling you, but they are completely useless as subs....
Not true. I've heard them and the F1 is a "real" sub. Don't confuse F1 with the shoebox size B1 "bass modules" that go with the L1 sytems. Those are not subs.

Last edited by abzurd; 3 days ago at 01:58 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Not true. I've heard then and the F1 is a "real" sub. Don't confuse F1 with the shoebox size B1 "bass modules" that go with the L1 sytems. Those are not subs.
I understand that it's not the truly horrid B1, but I've had the occasional misfortune to use various Bose products since the original 802s and the only consistent thing about all the gear is that it fails to live up to their ridiculous hype. The only thing that's ever performed for me a pair of computer speakers that were over priced, but not so bad.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Performance wise, it looks like a push.

1 - The JBL would be more flexible simply because it has a pole mount so you can mount a speaker above it

2 - I believe the JBL will easier to sell if you ever want to move on to something else

3 - If you want to buy another, the JBL will likely be easier to source and get a good price for. I'm guessing more are sold so could find another used. Also, Bose may be harder to find discounts on but the street price JBL is 20% less than the MAP price (or more). In fact, you can find B stock JBL PRX815XLFW for $699. So if your friend is selling a used box and you can't get him down on the price, I'd buy new.
All things being equal, the sub that makes your gig easier to setup and tear down would win my vote hands down every time

I would also vote for the JBL.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I went with the JBL! It's super light, nicely sized and feels well built. Preliminary sound tests are promising (rattled the upstairs windows) but I'll know better after my gigs next week. One thing I didn't like was that you have to have a tablet to configure the DSP settings...when I got it home I noticed that the left channel output from the sub was about 75% quieter than the right and almost thought it was broken before doing a factory reset which put it back to normal.

When I was there I saw the assembled F1 system...I couldnt believe how low the top sits on the sub, maybe 5 1/2 feet up...people say good things about the sound but that thing would blast people in the face!

I'll check back in after seeing how this JBL gigs. One thing's for sure it won't be a pain to carry around!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by putzkrieg View Post
I went with the JBL! It's super light, nicely sized and feels well built. Preliminary sound tests are promising (rattled the upstairs windows) but I'll know better after my gigs next week. One thing I didn't like was that you have to have a tablet to configure the DSP settings...when I got it home I noticed that the left channel output from the sub was about 75% quieter than the right and almost thought it was broken before doing a factory reset which put it back to normal.

When I was there I saw the assembled F1 system...I couldnt believe how low the top sits on the sub, maybe 5 1/2 feet up...people say good things about the sound but that thing would blast people in the face!

I'll check back in after seeing how this JBL gigs. One thing's for sure it won't be a pain to carry around!
I think you made the right call.

Looking forward to hearing your review.
Old 11 minutes ago
Here for the gear

I would say two F1 tops and 2-4 sub would do well for you. I would start with two subs and add more if needed. Also I would recommend (for the larger shows 300+) keeping the subs in the center and also having the 812 tops on stands to get them up over the crowd a bit...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search