The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
m32c? Mixers (Digital)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

m32c?

Looking for some opinions here, I am going to build a new mixer system around the M32 core with the midas 32 input diigital stage box and a mini pc and 2 touch screens as I find I am now more comfortable with touchscreens than faders. I always resisted the x32 because I find the build quality a bit iffy and the sound sub par, but I ask myself if for the system I am considering, would I be compromising anything to build it around an x32 rack given that the preamplis and the faders will not be an issue at all? The way I see it the x32 rack and the M32 core must be identical except that the x32 rack has a control interface and a few (albeit behringer) preamps thrown in as well. Apart from having midas on the box (rider friendly!) what does the m32c do that the x32 rack doesnt?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJoL View Post
Apart from having midas on the box (rider friendly!) what does the m32c do that the x32 rack doesnt?
I think deep down you already know the answer to this.

Also, do not discount the fact that better pre amps will improve this system greatly. There are many, many limitations to improving the overall result and the preamps are only one small part of that. Under the hood, the X?M32 are the exact same beast...at least in terms of electronic design, mathematics and sonics.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I think deep down you already know the answer to this.

Also, do not discount the fact that better pre amps will improve this system greatly. There are many, many limitations to improving the overall result and the preamps are only one small part of that. Under the hood, the X?M32 are the exact same beast...at least in terms of electronic design, mathematics and sonics.
This is the thing, I greatly prefer the m32 over the x32, mainly because of the sound BUT if using the midas stagebox with the midas preamps then every thing else is the same?

ps was there not an x32 core available at some point? I seem to remember there was, and if so what exactly was the difference between it and the m32 core??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

M32 Core is less equipped for more money. It's missing four buttons and two encoders and most important the headphone amp with jack socket and rotary at the front of the unit that made the x32 core FOH in contast to all those 'tablet only' solutions.

Last edited by gundula; 1 week ago at 07:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJoL View Post
ps was there not an x32 core available at some point? I seem to remember there was, and if so what exactly was the difference between it and the m32 core??
Yes, there was an X32 Core; I have one, and just got back from recording a concert using the DL151 stage box (24 Midas preamps) with the X32 Core, and an X-Live SD recorder expansion card. The X32 Core is no longer sold.

Since a computer/tablet is necessary for controlling the X32 Core, I used an Ethernet-connected Lenovo laptop, and concurrently recorded the concert via USB using Waves Tracks Live. I brought an iPad and a WiFi router with me as a backup for controlling the X32 Core if something terrible happened to the laptop.

The big advantage of having an X32 Rack is that you can run the X-Live SD capture function without any external assistance/control computers.

I think the X32 Core was superior to the M32 Core because the X32C has a headphone jack and a few more front panel knobs. It's a cool little box, and I'm glad I have it; but if I was buying this stuff again, knowing what I know now, I'd get the X32 Rack, and would have bought a Midas DL16 rather than a Midas DL151.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
The big advantage of having an X32 Rack is that you can run the X-Live SD capture function without any external assistance/control computers.

I think the X32 Core was superior to the M32 Core because the X32C has a headphone jack and a few more front panel knobs. It's a cool little box, and I'm glad I have it; but if I was buying this stuff again, knowing what I know now, I'd get the X32 Rack, and would have bought a Midas DL16 rather than a Midas DL151.
Agreed that the X32 Core felt like a better proposition than the M32C.

Surely, though, you could have assigned a couple of the 4 assignable front panel buttons on the X32 Core for X-Live recording?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Surely, though, you could have assigned a couple of the 4 assignable front panel buttons on the X32 Core for X-Live recording?
Hmmmm... perhaps, although my whole reason for getting the X-Live was to have a sure-fire redundant recording capability to manage my blood pressure during live recording events. Controlling an X-Live 'blindly' seems like a high risk.

At one time I ran a Dante setup with twin laptops. The LAN switch/router was the single point of failure in that setup, and although I was more relaxed having two laptops, it was too many additional wires for "elegant" load-in/out.

Things are a little better with the X32/X-Live, DL151, and Lenovo laptop. Right now the X32C and laptop are in a 1U shoulder strap case, and the DL151 is in a deep 2U SKB case. I'm planning to try weigh out the advantages of putting the X32, DL151, and an ART T8 in a deep 6U SKB case that I already have to see how that feels.

I only used 4 channels last night at a concert, so the weight, boxes, and overkill felt a little silly. I might get a Zoom F8n or even two Zoom F4's for those smaller events.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search