The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PA Upgrade Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

PA Upgrade

Hi,

For a few years now, I've been using teo Studiomaster Drive 15A 320W speakers with a Studiomaster Club XS 8 passive mixing desk. I have recently begun to upgrade components of my PA system in stages, and was able to acquire a second hand Allen & Heath MixWizard 4 16:2 at a bargain price of £400, because the seller had gone digital.

Up until now, my PA has been for running open mics and solo acoustic/duo gigs in small to medium sized venues - bars, pubs, small clubs etc. When I'm playing in a band, I'm using the PA we've hired and that's the way it will stay in that respect.

I'm looking to use this for ANOTHER small (4 piece max) band which I'm starting, just for more local gigs and more for fun then money, although earning from it is still important to fill in gaps in the schedule!

I'm well aware that my current setup isn't going to set the world on fire, so I'm just wondering what to do next. My options as I see them are:

1. Buy at least one active bass bin or ideally two. I know Studiomaster are actually Chinese made these days, but how good or bad are they compared with Behringer or Mackie? I've seen very cheap subwoofers by QTX, but presumably they're the worst rubbish going. I'd still be using the Studiomaster speakers as tops. Although they sound good for acoustic stuff, am I throwing good money after bad in the long term?

2. Buy a whole new setup in terms of speakers - high quality bass and tops with scalability in mind, so that I can look at mic'ing drums without worry. The question is, do I go down the active or passive + power amp(/s) route? I'm guessing passive will certainly give me more choice on the second hand market, as I can't really buy this stuff new unless I can get a really good deal.

3. Just make do without anything and hire gear, or play venues where they have speakers/PA already, then just use my Studiomasters as floor wedges for two members not using IEMs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey Gary,

What is your budget?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

I think the budget really depends on what will be worthwhile at the moment! Ideally, I'd like to have a PA that I can use for a full band in decent sized venues, but that I can also reduce the number of speakers if need be in order to do solo acoustic stuff, for which a subwoofer may be overkill!

I know that isn't clear, but I'm trying to assign a budget once I know what it's worth spending. I would be looking to get something as cheaply as possible, but I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147 View Post
Hi,

I think the budget really depends on what will be worthwhile at the moment! Ideally, I'd like to have a PA that I can use for a full band in decent sized venues, but that I can also reduce the number of speakers if need be in order to do solo acoustic stuff, for which a subwoofer may be overkill!

I know that isn't clear, but I'm trying to assign a budget once I know what it's worth spending. I would be looking to get something as cheaply as possible, but I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers!
Hi Gary,

You are working with a 4 input mixer (XLR). The least expensive setup I would recommend would be a single Yamaha DXR15. It will be much better in every respect to your current setup and will run you around $800.00 USD (Not sure how much they go for in the EU). These could even give you some thump for the kick (surprisingly much for a single 15 in fact).

Really, the next stop would be a pair of 12" over 18" subs (full band at rock levels in most venues). This will run you between $3000 and $5000 depending on what you settle on.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you plan to do with this rig? How big is your band, what size of venues do you do, how often do you play? How much can you spend?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Oh sorry, the 4 input mixer is already gone! I've got an A&H MixWizard4 16:2 now and it's great. It will definitely do what I need, at least for now.

I'm actually looking to use it for a band that I've not got up and running at present, but I'd probably be looking at pubs and bars up to maybe 200-300 capacity, but I'd like the capability to fill the larger places if necessary, or at least have gear that can be expanded/added to in order to achieve that.

So basically, a 4 piece rock band, playing some good hard rock songs. Drums, bass and 2 guitars really!

I'm not sure the speakers I've got will cut it!

Maybe l need two more powerful tops and two bass bins to match them? If I went active, l wouldn't need to mess around with amps etc, although it would mean more power cables. Any thoughts?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147 View Post
Oh sorry, the 4 input mixer is already gone! I've got an A&H MixWizard4 16:2 now and it's great. It will definitely do what I need, at least for now.

I'm actually looking to use it for a band that I've not got up and running at present, but I'd probably be looking at pubs and bars up to maybe 200-300 capacity, but I'd like the capability to fill the larger places if necessary, or at least have gear that can be expanded/added to in order to achieve that.

So basically, a 4 piece rock band, playing some good hard rock songs. Drums, bass and 2 guitars really!

I'm not sure the speakers I've got will cut it!

Maybe l need two more powerful tops and two bass bins to match them? If I went active, l wouldn't need to mess around with amps etc, although it would mean more power cables. Any thoughts?
The MixWiz is a fine mixer. I owned one for over 10 years before going digital.

2-300 is a decent sized bar.

My best recommendation would be for a pair of SRX812p's over a pair of SRX818p's.

Alternately, the new DZR12's over the the new DXS18's would be a great setup.

Both of these systems will set you back around $5000.00 USD, but they are currently the best bar rig range speakers shy of touring speakers you can get.

If you need to trim the budget down a bit, then the DSR112's over PRX818XLF's will get you down to around $3500.00 and would sacrifice little.

If you drop from there, you really are looking at something that can't handle a 300 person club at club levels IMO.

Still, if you need to get under that price, try the DXR12's over the DXS15 mKii which will run you around $3,200. You lose quite a bit of output IMO compared to the previous system though.

Hope this helps.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Gary147,

The mixer may or may not be a good value for you.

I mix a lot of regional bands, as well as national acts that come through and here is what I recommend for a four piece band in you situation. Sell what you have.

Get a Soundcraft UI24R on eBay for $750
Get four Behringer P2 $160
Get four KZ ZS10 earbuds $140
Get two JBL Eon 615 $800
Get one JBL SRX828sp $2000
Stands and hoses $150

So for $4k you have a 20 channel wireless digital mixer recorder, four stereo wired in ear monitors, and two sos's and a dual 18 that will easily cover 300 in a club. Add another sub and do 500 outdoors.

Naturally, you can buy better top cabinets so let your billfold be your guide.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the information. I know what you're saying there and ultimately I'll be doing something like that. For now though, I need to try and make some more money before I spend out any more! What l have will help me get by in some smaller venues and I'll look to expand in due course.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webjammer View Post
Gary147,

I mix a lot of regional bands, as well as national acts that come through and here is what I recommend for a four piece band in you situation. Sell what you have.

Get two JBL Eon 615 $800
Stands and hoses $150

So for $4k you have a 20 channel wireless digital mixer recorder, four stereo wired in ear monitors, and two sos's and a dual 18 that will easily cover 300 in a club. Add another sub and do 500 outdoors.

This!? For bands at the regional and national level!?!

Apparently I have a very different understanding about these things...for 500 outdoors, this is regional and national, especially if we’re talking about the US and (western) Europe.
Attached Thumbnails
PA Upgrade-6327a8f7-20c4-423c-9691-37b75841a35c.jpg  

Last edited by Samc; 1 day ago at 12:40 PM..
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webjammer View Post
Gary147,

Get two JBL Eon 615 $800
Stands and hoses $150

No, for $4k you've got a poorly matched bunch of stuff for jamming in your garage. And the ratio of what's needed outside compared to inside is usually about 4:1, not "add another sub". Besides, none of the speakers you list are scalable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search