The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lewitt MTP 940 CM microphone. Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Lewitt MTP 940 CM microphone.

The Lewitt MTP 940 CM hand held condenser microphone was designed for both studio and stage use. It has a large 1” diameter condenser capsule, with a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz, 9dB (A) self noise…lower than some dedicated studio microphones and a 134dB dynamic range, and a rear rejection of -25dB. You can change the pattern, from wide cardioid, cardioid and super cardioid, the high-pass filter between flat, 80Hz and 160Hz and switch between three pad settings, 0dB, -6dB, and -12dB using control switches under the grill.

I’ve been using and testing this mic for just over a month now and I am very pleased with its sound and performance. The microphone has a modern, clear sound that is neither hyped, or brittle and it sounds very natural, in fact, the first thing most people say about it is how natural it sounds…one guy remarked that it sounded like the mic was in the singers throat after a concert. Very clear, natural/accurate sound, very good feedback and proximity performance, it will withstand very high SPL, plus all the control features, make this a very versatile microphone that can be tailored for different situations…within reason of course.

I’ve only used it live and on singers so far…haven’t made any serious studio recording or tried it on instruments or guitar cabs yet, I did used it as the only microphone on a smooth folk singer and his acoustic guitar who sat almost a meter away from it, a gravely voiced blues singer in front of a rocking four-piece band, a female pop singer in front of a tight but (a tad) loud five-piece band, and a rapper in front of a four-piece band who cupped the mic during his entire performance. I got some questions about the mic and compliments about the sound of the lead vocal almost every night, none of the shows were especially loud and there was never a problem with feedback. I’m pretty sure it would sound good on acoustic instruments…especially strings, percussions and guitar cabs, in fact anywhere fine detail and naturalness is important.

The biggest thing for me though was how little EQ I needed with this microphone…a tool sounds good and performs well without a lot of fiddling, suites me fine. The MTP 940 CM sounds really big and balanced…with a nice low-end, really nice mid and high, nothing jumps out at you except the naturalness of the sound.

With its performance and feature-set, this microphone is definitely unique, I can’t think of another hand-held condenser microphone that offers the control options and level of performance of the MTP 940 CM. If you’re looking for a versatile, top performer, this mic should definitely be on the short list.
Old 2nd November 2018
S21
Lives for gear

Can you "compare and contrast" this mic to the obvious competitors, eg Sennheiser 965 and Shure KSM9 ?
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Sam, you're making me curious..
I've recently heard the senny e 965 at a small venue.. I was pleasently surprised.. On that female vocalist was working incredibly well..
How you described the lewitt is how I'd have described the e965..

I have to admit that I was attending the concert, so I didn't "work" on that mic..
Have you used the e965 Sam?
How did you use the lewitt 940..which polar pattern? Filters?

It looks like Lewitt have some tricks up on its sleeve..

Cheu
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Can you "compare and contrast" this mic to the obvious competitors, eg Sennheiser 965 and Shure KSM9 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
How you described the lewitt is how I'd have described the e965..
The Sennheiser e965, the Earthworks SR40V and the Shure KSM9 are the microphones that come closest to the Lewitt MTP 940 in my opinion. Maybe because they also use large, true condenser capsules like the MTP940, the e965 and the Sr40V are similarly detailed and and translates nuance like the MTP940. It is however the extreme detail/clarity, naturalness and fast transient response of the of the MTP940, coupled with all the control options that allow more detailed fine tuning of the mic which gives the Lewitt the edge over the others for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Have you used the e965 Sam?
How did you use the lewitt 940..which polar pattern? Filters?
I tested the Lewitt against the e965 but didn't actually use it for shows. I mostly used the the Lewitt in Cardioid mode with no pre-attenuation...because nobody can sing loud enough to distort this mic and I set the HP filter at 80Hz for everybody but the blues singer...no HP for him.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks so much for posting your experiences with this mic Sam

I currently have Audio Technica AE5400 and ATM710 vocal condensers. I tend to find myself using the ATM710 a lot more than the AE5400 so am considering trying something different to possibly replace the AE5400.

I’m particularly interested in the Sennheiser E865, E965 and Shure KSM9 as I wasn’t really aware of the Lewitt 940. Am very interested to hear how the Lewitt compares to these mics.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I’m particularly interested in the Sennheiser E865, E965 and Shure KSM9 as I wasn’t really aware of the Lewitt 940. Am very interested to hear how the Lewitt compares to these mics.
You can read my comments above about the Lewitt compared to the E965 and the Shure KSM9. I didn't do a side by side with the e865 but I don't think it's in the same league as the others...the true condenser topology, large diaphragms with special suspension and all the other control functions really make a difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

...even if I would possibly not value my pair of MTP 940 less if someone on a forum would not like them, well-grounded positive experiences are always a confirmation for own practices

I agree that the versatility of this mic is impossible-to-have in your toolcase with any other microphone (that I know of) - at least a pair of C414XLS (or similar) and a pair of very good handheld vocal mics would be necessary, and neither of them is a "safe bet" in front of a semi-pro or amateur gospel choir, for example.

The Lewitt is the great polished LDC sound in front of a well-behaving choir, but also is the lead-vocal-mic if somebody steps up closer, and also the speech mic that is not bursting into pops and breath noise if a self-appointed moderator (oh the horror) enters the stage, bends down the mic stand and speaks directly into the capsule (while the outer appearance of the mic may be the reason for that, it would probably not happen with a 414, but you never know).

For me, "versatility" also means that the awful "We have an instrument or artist that is not on the rider, we would need one or 2 mics extra" situation, that we all know too well probably, is just answered with how I adjust the response pattern and the lowcut. I have not had a situation where the 940 did not perform well and predictable (perhaps even more important) yet.

@Samc, thank you for taking the time to write down your experiences.
If you plan to add a second mic, I would encourage you to try them in a stereo scenario, like on a grand piano or in front of a choir.
For me, besides being a great mic for vocalists, the wide-cardioid mode has led to stunning and surprising results so far, like I already wrote on the MTP550 thread, and besides their versatility, I often prefer to take them with me over "real" LDCs simply because of their sturdyness and their unobtrusive appearance and their outdoor-usability (wind noise)
While I did not have the need to own something like a SM/Beta 58 for myself, I will surely try a 550 if that would change.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingloud View Post
For me, "versatility" also means that the awful "We have an instrument or artist that is not on the rider, we would need one or 2 mics extra" situation, that we all know too well probably, is just answered with how I adjust the response pattern and the lowcut. I have not had a situation where the 940 did not perform well and predictable (perhaps even more important) yet.
Yes, the control switches allow you to change the character and performance of the mic to the point that you can set it up for a lot of different things, and it will work well. I don't know any other mic in the category that can do this.

Quote:
@Samc, thank you for taking the time to write down your experiences.
If you plan to add a second mic, I would encourage you to try them in a stereo scenario, like on a grand piano or in front of a choir.
For me, besides being a great mic for vocalists, the wide-cardioid mode has led to stunning and surprising results so far, like I already wrote on the MTP550 thread, and besides their versatility, I often prefer to take them with me over "real" LDCs simply because of their sturdyness and their unobtrusive appearance and their outdoor-usability (wind noise)
While I did not have the need to own something like a SM/Beta 58 for myself, I will surely try a 550 if that would change.
I intend get more of these mics and to use them on a lot of different things in the future, With the high performance and low cost of the 550 I have no need for a 57 or 58 anymore...they are being replaced with the MTP 550.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search