The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backpack for live sound Audio Interfaces
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Backpack for live sound

I am in search for a good practical backpack.
It must have:
-a laptop compartment (not for a Macbook, i have a Panasonic CF-20 witch is thicker)
-Room for Headphones and the usual suspect for a FOH engineer)
-Easy to carry and sturdy

What do you guys use ?

Btw, the usual pelicase is not an option as i travel on bicycle.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

check out backpacks for photographers. The inner compartment can usually easily rearranged and everything has its place, not falling around
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I already searched for camera backpacks, but there are none (that i find) with a laptop compartment fitting my 4 cm (1.6 inch) thick CF-20.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
I am in search for a good practical backpack.
It must have:
-a laptop compartment (not for a Macbook, i have a Panasonic CF-20 witch is thicker)
-Room for Headphones and the usual suspect for a FOH engineer)
-Easy to carry and sturdy

What do you guys use ?
I have the UDG Ultimate DIGI Backpack for 1 year already -- central compartment can fit 2 MD421s in cases ,)

usual load is wifi router, laptop (15.6" max), id14 soundcard, 5m 3 socket schuko extension cord, some mics, pair of DIs, assorted converters and a few cables. everything fits nicely, i can still zip the backpack. it's very comfortable for the back and shoulders also.

after 1 year some orange inlay is showing a bit through one bottom corner, but everything else appears to be holding ok.

i found these bags through one of the bands i work with, they were carying them 4 years ago, i still see them with the same bags ,)

have a look: DIGI Backpack Black/Orange Inside | Ultimate DJ Gear | UDG Gear
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks, but the UDG is nowhere in stock in the suspect European webshops.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Thanks, but the UDG is nowhere in stock in the suspect European webshops.
Thomann shows one DIGI for me, UDG Digi BackPack B/O – Thomann Lithuania
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I've been really impressed with my Ikea roll-top bag. The selling feature for me was the HUGE laptop sleeve. I've got a big Dell engineering laptop and had a difficult time finding a bag that it fit comfortably in.

FORENKLA Backpack - IKEA
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I travel/tour a lot and I'm a tech geek, and I'm always searching for new/different ways to carry all my stuff around, so I became a bag junkie. These are three of the best tech backpacks that I know, all three are really well made and are filled with neat compartments and are legal for airline cabins. The Agile Travel backpack is my favorite but I've also got my eye on the Hazard4 Grill.

All of them are water resistant and will keep their contents dry in a tropical storm and all of them are tough and light....perfect for a bike rider.

Last edited by Samc; 5 days ago at 07:20 PM..
Old 5 days ago
S21
Lives for gear

I lost a laptop to baggage handlers yesterday. Was flying with five laptops and put three of them in the middle of suitcases, wrapped in blankets.

One still got smashed. :-(
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Chances are it got crushed under load, when other suitcases were piled on it. Blankets offer a soft cushion but they don’t offer crush protection...plus the blanket should be taped to prevent the computer from sliding around in it or sliding out of it.

This is exactly what pelican cases are for, they provide good crush and shock protection. I’m even using one as my suitcase now and my clothes don’t look like they were run over by a steam roller. The only complaint is that they only have two wheels instead of four, so I have to drag them and they are a little on the heavy side...guess we can’t have everything.

The next best thing would be Zarges aluminum boxes which can take anything baggage handlers can throw at them.
Old 4 days ago
S21
Lives for gear

Zarges cases are awesome, but pretty expensive. I have a bunch of pelican cases, but they were at the wrong end of a 3200km flight.

I had an unexpectedly large backload of electronica... There were also LCD monitors, a server and four tablets.

The airline staff were also being knobs. Refusing 24kg bags as over their 23kg limit while overall we were ~100kg underweight on baggage.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I travel/tour a lot and I'm a tech geek, and I'm always searching for new/different ways to carry all my stuff around, so I became a bag junkie. These are three of the best tech backpacks that I know, all three are really well made and are filled with neat compartments and are legal for airline cabins. The Agile Travel backpack is my favorite but I've also got my eye on the Hazard4 Grill.

All of them are water resistant and will keep their contents dry in a tropical storm and all of them are tough and light....perfect for a bike rider.
The Agile looks really good, investigating it now, thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention this pack from Pelican, the urban Elite U100. I really wanted to like this pack when it came out but it was just too heavy (8lbs) and not deep enough for me, but it's a solid bag that's as tough as a bag can get.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Zarges cases are awesome, but pretty expensive.
Yes they are, but like all the bags I've suggested...good design, great build quality and high performance, expensive parts are never going to be cheap.

Quote:
The airline staff were also being knobs. Refusing 24kg bags as over their 23kg limit while overall we were ~100kg underweight on baggage.
Sounds like them all right...I had to pay 600 € at the airport this past summer because although we had paid for extra bags and weight, we had not specified that the equipment was musical instruments even though we were well below the weight and bag count we had paid for...

It was only when we threatened to cancel all future flights (which were a lot) with the airline before they refunded most of the 600€ they had extorted from me at the airport.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I forgot to mention this pack from Pelican, the urban Elite U100. I really wanted to like this pack when it came out but it was just too heavy (8lbs) and not deep enough for me, but it's a solid bag that's as tough as a bag can get.
I already looked at that one, but as you said, not deep enough.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I buy Accordian Cases from Mexico by DeLuca.

Last one I bought is a perfect fir for the Peavey FXII-16 Mixer.

There’s so many kinds of Accordians you can find one that fits.
Strap that sucker on my back and roll in a dolly full of gear.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Accordion cases may be okay for single items like a small mixer or a bunch of microphones in cases, it does not have special and separate pockets for all or most personal electronic gear, and having your equipment, chargers, cables etc in a jumbled mess will most certainly result in damage and make it difficult and annoying when you need to find something.

To remedy this, all or most of your gear will have to be placed in individual cases and pockets which will eat space, add weight and make it more difficult to access documents and other things. Plus, if you fly the bag/case must meet a specific size requirement and be light enough to make sense.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search