The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just verifying, does the Sennheiser EW 100 G3 have zero latency?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just verifying, does the Sennheiser EW 100 G3 have zero latency?

So, I know the Sennheiser EW 100 G3 has, please correct me if I'm wrong, an all analog signal chain. It's digitally controlled but there is no A:D/D:A conversion happening anywhere.

I'm going to be using it as a reference for testing a digital system soon, so I want to be absolutely certain, does it have any latency or not?

(I'm assuming it doesn't also because nowhere in the documentation or Sennheiser's website does it even acknowledge latency as a variable relevant to the spec, let alone a specific number, but I just want to be certain)

Thank you in advance!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Analog.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Nothing electronic is truly zero (velocity factor, propogation etc.) theoretically, but yes, this is an analogue system end to end so effectively zero.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

It's analog. There are very few digital wireless systems.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Thornton View Post
Nothing electronic is truly zero (velocity factor, propogation etc.) theoretically, but yes, this is an analogue system end to end so effectively zero.
I agree but I guess what I mean is, for purpose of acoustics, human perception, there is negligible practical latency.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsearcher View Post
I agree but I guess what I mean is, for purpose of acoustics, human perception, there is negligible practical latency.
Yep. Not detectable by human ear.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

dunno about this particular series but i've come across analog wireless mics/inears which used dsp to implement equalizers and dynamics etc. so signal got converted and hence one would experience latency.

haven't been checking into details on newer systems as i'm trying to avoid any wireless mics/inears if not really needed - and honestly now: how often is that the case?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
dunno about this particular series but i've come across analog wireless mics/inears which used dsp to implement equalizers and dynamics etc. so signal got converted and hence one would experience latency.

haven't been checking into details on newer systems as i'm trying to avoid any wireless mics/inears if not really needed - and honestly now: how often is that the case?
No digi-DSP here. Open and check the manual:

Sennheiser ew 300 IEM G3 - Live Microphone - Wireless Monitoring System with PC control

I've used mine for wireless remote speaker feeds and have not encountered any latency issues at all.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
AFAIK the EM3732 is the only "hybrid" receiver from Sennheiser.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search