The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small format mixer pres Mixers (Digital)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Small format mixer pres

Hello. I want a small format mixer with a minimum of six mic pres. However I have no need for and do not want faders. I cannot find any units with pots that have at least six pres. Something low budget and small. For example, if the Mackie 1202 vlz4 had six pres, it would be what I need. Any ideas?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Hello. I want a small format mixer with a minimum of six mic pres. However I have no need for and do not want faders. I cannot find any units with pots that have at least six pres. Something low budget and small. For example, if the Mackie 1202 vlz4 had six pres, it would be what I need. Any ideas?
What color?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Your out of luck on your specific requirements. The nature of mass manufacturing means that manufacturers have to position their products with the features that MOST buyers will want at a certain price range.

ANYTHING with more than 4 preamps is going to have sliders and be more expensive because that's where in the market they are being pitched to. There's no such thing as a bare bones mixer with 6+ preamps.

OK, there are POWERED mixers that meet your requirements but guess that's not what you want either. Your trying to go cheap aren't you?

Last edited by AnthonyG; 3 days ago at 01:26 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Special order at $1700. You DID find it though so bonus points for that.

I suspect that the OP is just trying to go cheap. The previous one may work for him though.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Maybe one of the small tablet-controlled digital mixer boxes would work? Like a Soundcraft Ui12 or a Behringer XR16?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Ashly

I used an Ashly MX508 for many years. Still have it in spare rack. They build similar smaller models as well. Check EBay for used. I bought my MX508 for $500.00 used, it works and sounds great.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have an old Tapco 6000R you can have for shipping cost. ('Mackie before it was Mackie :>)
You'd have to flush out (or replace?) the goo in the main pots he put in to make them feel fancy'. That has dried out.
I kept it around thinking I might use it at some point for it's actually nice sounding spring reverb.
Like this, w/o the rack ears..
Tapco 6000R, 6 Channel Mixer & Preamp with Spring Reverb & Eq, Vintage Rack | eBay
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, I was hoping for a new product. What I do now is use a Mackie 1202, And when I need more pres, I piggyback an 802. It's a pia and I also don't get my outboard effects in the 802.
Actually, a rack mixer would be welcome, but I do need eq and two aux.
The Ashley product is the ticket, but at that price I think I just buy QSC touchmix 8 and be done with it.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys, I was hoping for a new product. What I do now is use a Mackie 1202, And when I need more pres, I piggyback an 802. It's a pia and I also don't get my outboard effects in the 802.
Actually, a rack mixer would be welcome, but I do need eq and two aux.
The Ashley product is the ticket, but at that price I think I just buy QSC touchmix 8 and be done with it.
Curious as to the "no faders" stipulation. What's up with that?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I have an old Tapco 6000R you can have for shipping cost. ('Mackie before it was Mackie :>)
You'd have to flush out (or replace?) the goo in the main pots he put in to make them feel fancy'. That has dried out.
I kept it around thinking I might use it at some point for it's actually nice sounding spring reverb.
Like this, w/o the rack ears..
Tapco 6000R, 6 Channel Mixer & Preamp with Spring Reverb & Eq, Vintage Rack | eBay
Thanks for the kind offer. with another aux, and xlr outs, that's the answer. Surprised that not much similar is being made today. There are so many duo/trio acts that need a set and forget small mixer.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Curious as to the "no faders" stipulation. What's up with that?
Just personal preference really. I rack the mixer and set it within my reach while performing. Ime, I can reach and adjust dials easier and more accurately while playing.
Also faders seem to add size and cost for something I would rather not have.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just personal preference really. I rack the mixer and set it within my reach while performing. Ime, I can reach and adjust dials easier and more accurately while playing.
Also faders seem to add size and cost for something I would rather not have.
Fair enough.

If you consider a Touchmix 8 acceptable, take a look at the Presonus StudioLive 16R. Twice the channel count, much better processing and control options, one rack space...and $100.00 less than the QSC.

I've had/used both brands. The QSC always comes up a little short...

Good luck.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough.

If you consider a Touchmix 8 acceptable, take a look at the Presonus StudioLive 16R. Twice the channel count, much better processing and control options, one rack space...and $100.00 less than the QSC.

I've had/used both brands. The QSC always comes up a little short...

Good luck.
Well it's not really acceptable, because it can't be adjusted without looking at it. Based on what I know so far, the Ashly MX 406/508 are what I want. So unless there is something else out there - the decision becomes, accept a used Ashley unit and hope for the best, or let go of being able to adjust on the fly.
Does anyone have any info on the sound quality of these Ashly units?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well it's not really acceptable, because it can't be adjusted without looking at it. Based on what I know so far, the Ashly MX 406/508 are what I want. So unless there is something else out there - the decision becomes, accept a used Ashley unit and hope for the best, or let go of being able to adjust on the fly.
Does anyone have any info on the sound quality of these Ashly units?
Ashley gear is good stuff. Solid engineering, quality components and reliable. As to sound quality: what goes in comes out clearly and depends on the quality of the input devices feeding the mixer and the quality of the musicianship. But then that's pretty much a general rule
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ashley gear is good stuff. Solid engineering, quality components and reliable. As to sound quality: what goes in comes out clearly and depends on the quality of the input devices feeding the mixer and the quality of the musicianship. But then that's pretty much a general rule
I agree. I would also point out Ashly does provide great support when you need it.

Case in point: After transporting my MX508 home from a gig some of the little
blue and white pot covers were missing. They pop out easily so you can remove the pots. Contacted Ashly about some replacements and they sent me a "care package" of covers at no charge.

You can also call them and get tech support to talk to you!!

FYI... I have a Touchmix 16 that I use now instead of the MX508. The Touchmix
has a lot more features, bells and whistles and is considerably lighter than the Ashly. But as has been mentioned it's not easy to quickly adjust on the fly if you are in performance mode.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search