The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using RCF NX 45-A speakers? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Anyone using RCF NX 45-A speakers?

I am interested in these, but I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. Just curious about their overall clarity, transient response, and how they compare to others in the $1800 price range US.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawDepth View Post
I am interested in these, but I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. Just curious about their overall clarity, transient response, and how they compare to others in the $1800 price range US.

Search for art745. The nx45 are the wooden versions. The 745 sounds excellent. The nx45 is fairly new somthere aren’t as many reviews on it. Searching for the 745 should get you in the ball park.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Finally a box for a stick with a 15" driver with sub 1k xover point. 650hz. 1.4" exit.
There are way to many boxes with 15" drivers and a 1 inch exit throat are crossed over way to high for a 15" driver and should be using a 1.4" or 2.0" exit compression driver.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Yes, all they did was add a wooden box and tweak the crossover point and dsp slightly. After so many rave reviews over the 745, I can't imagine that these would sound bad. At least compared to the MI boxes I've been using.

Judging from the lack of reviews out there, if I take a chance and buy them sight unseen, I'll apparently be the only guy in the world who has any.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawDepth View Post
Yes, all they did was add a wooden box and tweak the crossover point and dsp slightly. After so many rave reviews over the 745, I can't imagine that these would sound bad. At least compared to the MI boxes I've been using.

Judging from the lack of reviews out there, if I take a chance and buy them sight unseen, I'll apparently be the only guy in the world who has any.
Same 650 Hz crossover point as the Art 745A.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Same 650 Hz crossover point as the Art 745A.
Oops! Good catch. Thanks.

I remember reading somewhere that a few minor things had been improved upon, (besides the box itself,) while designing these. Maybe it was horizontal coverage.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I spoke to someone at RCF a while back at he said the drivers were being modified?
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

I've used the NX boxes a fair bit, and they make a decent powered utility box just like the Art 7 series - minus the obligatory battering with RCF's ugly stick.

I suspect they still use the same components, but their satisfying appearance probably plays tricks. At the end of the day if you want better drivers, you should be buying better speakers.

Whatever the price difference, I'm sure it's worth it for the professional look. Unless you're used to using the full RCF range, they could probably be easily mistaken for TT boxes with similar driver complements (minus the performance benefits obviously).

Admittedly I don't do a lot of lifting these days, but the wood boxes don't seem to add much weight, plus the handles are well designed.

The rear panels are modest and neatly recessed, protecting the crap they insist on including. A nice touch is Powercon in and thru.

One note of caution - they all seem to use the same Digipro 1400W power amp used in lots of RCF speakers, up to the previous generation HD series (eg HDL10, HDL20 etc). These are notoriously hard to service or repair.

RCF seem to prefer to only have modules swapped out when needed. No problem if you have a decent RCF shop locally, but I've heard a few horror stories about users trying to get these fixed by independent amp tinkerers, who can't get the docs etc needed, but this all takes time leaving the product out of action for longer than desirable.

Of course this may not be unusual for powered speakers these days, and buying from a manufacturer that doesn't offer local sales and service is never a good idea!
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post
I've used the NX boxes a fair bit, and they make a decent powered utility box just like the Art 7 series - minus the obligatory battering with RCF's ugly stick.

I suspect they still use the same components, but their satisfying appearance probably plays tricks. At the end of the day if you want better drivers, you should be buying better speakers.

Whatever the price difference, I'm sure it's worth it for the professional look. Unless you're used to using the full RCF range, they could probably be easily mistaken for TT boxes with similar driver complements (minus the performance benefits obviously).

Admittedly I don't do a lot of lifting these days, but the wood boxes don't seem to add much weight, plus the handles are well designed.

The rear panels are modest and neatly recessed, protecting the crap they insist on including. A nice touch is Powercon in and thru.

One note of caution - they all seem to use the same Digipro 1400W power amp used in lots of RCF speakers, up to the previous generation HD series (eg HDL10, HDL20 etc). These are notoriously hard to service or repair.

RCF seem to prefer to only have modules swapped out when needed. No problem if you have a decent RCF shop locally, but I've heard a few horror stories about users trying to get these fixed by independent amp tinkerers, who can't get the docs etc needed, but this all takes time leaving the product out of action for longer than desirable.

Of course this may not be unusual for powered speakers these days, and buying from a manufacturer that doesn't offer local sales and service is never a good idea!
The previous amps, made by Powersoft I believe, might not have been any easier to repair, and RCF didn't even have the schematics for them initially. Granted it was 10 years ago, but when my first production run 522A speaker failed 2 months in I sent the amp module to the authorized repair facility. Long story short, they didn't have the schematics to repair it so they threw it in a closet and just ignored the repair. Constant calling netted me a replacement amp, which later also failed and it was admitted that they purposefully sent me another amp from the first run with the known problem (something about the epoxy used for the amp that drove the compression driver would fail when warm). Eventually my second speaker failed and I had to do the dance once more, but ended up with an extra new amp. The irony is I've since sold the speakers and still have a new 522A amp module.

I also have an extra compression driver, maybe even 2, for the boxes as they sent me the entire thing when I ordered a diaphragm from RCF. They didn't tell me at the time, just sent it. Nor did they say it would be used.

In the USA anyway, parts can be scarce and slow to get here if not in stock. Also, once a model has been discontinued there's no guarantee how long it will be supported. In the case of the 522A things as simple as a diaphragm were either no longer made, or not available.

Last edited by abzurd; 18 hours ago at 02:19 PM..
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The previous amps, made by Powersoft I believe, were no easier to repair, and RCF didn't even have the schematics for them initially. Granted it was 10 years ago, but when my first production run 522A speaker failed 2 months in I sent the amp module to the authorized repair facility. Long story short, they didn't have the schematics to repair it so they threw it in a closet and just ignored the repair. Constant calling netted me a replacement amp, which later also failed and it was admitted that they purposefully sent me another amp from the first run with the known problem (something about the epoxy used for the amp that drove the compression driver would fail when warm). Eventually my second speaker failed and I had to do the dance once more, but ended up with an extra new amp. The irony is I've since sold the speakers and still have a new 522A amp module.

I also have an extra compression driver, maybe even 2, for the boxes as they sent me the entire thing when I ordered a diaphragm from RCF. They didn't tell me at the time, just sent it. Nor did they say it would be used.

In the USA anyway, parts can be scarce and slow to get here if not in stock. Also, once a model has been discontinued there's no guarantee how long it will be supported. In the case of the 522A things as simple as a diaphragm were either no longer made, or not available.
RCF have never used Powersoft OEM amps, to the best of my knowledge. However I don't know who made the amp modules back when they (last time) were affiliated with Mackie, EAW etc and produced popular powered speakers like the venerable SRM450.

Since RCF and sister company DB Tech have been building their own sizable range of powered speakers, the Digipro amp modules have been built by a dedicated sister company. Whether they leveraged technology a la L-Acoustics and Camco, I don't know - but I'm pretty sure they don't OEM for other powered speaker or amp brands.

You're not the first person to assume the RCF amps are Powersoft though. The latter's *Digimod* OEM products are very similarly named, whilst the Italian nationality also ties in.

The lack of schematics has been the cause of service problems I referred to above. I guess folks were sending powered speakers for amp repairs to reputable independent places capable of repairing most brands, but who then find out via a torturously slow and uncommunicative route that these particular amps are not serviceable in the normal way.

To be fair that's just going by several second hand accounts I've heard, over the years. But I've heard similar things enough times to notice the same pattern, specifically re lack of availability of schematics making even basic repairs impossible.

Lucky for RCF owners near me, we have several dealers including a few big shops who are massively invested in the brand - hence folks who picked up bargains from big box online retailers can easily access RCF's own service locally.

I get the impression from the folks on PSW that US customers have had some problems over the years, even though the brand seems quite popular over there. I guess if the policy is to just swap out faulty amp modules, the logistics of getting parts from Italy to the UK are a lot simpler here. Right now freight in the EU is fast, with plenty of providers. Of course our dumb Brexit plans might change things, moving forwards...
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post
RCF have never used Powersoft OEM amps, to the best of my knowledge. However I don't know who made the amp modules back when they (last time) were affiliated with Mackie, EAW etc and produced popular powered speakers like the venerable SRM450.
I know that Powersoft made the amps for at least the 522A. I have an email circa 2008 referencing that's who made the amp. It may have been a one off, which wouldn't have helped the support issue. Shortly after the 522A they took all amps in house. I remember a press release about it. The 522A was only around for about 2 years, which is another gripe about RCF.

They come out with new speaker models seemingly every few months. It would make more sense to get a solid lineup and support it. They may have figured this out as I've noticed they are consolidating a bit with the dropping of the 4X series. I never understood why they just didn't ditch the ART series all together and use the D line format for their plastic boxes. Application wise, they are completely overlapping and the D Line doesn't have polarizing cosmetics.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know that Powersoft made the amps for at least the 522A. I have an email circa 2008 referencing that's who made the amp. It may have been a one off, which wouldn't have helped the support issue. Shortly after the 522A they took all amps in house. I remember a press release about it. The 522A was only around for about 2 years, which is another gripe about RCF.

They come out with new speaker models seemingly every few months. It would make more sense to get a solid lineup and support it. They may have figured this out as I've noticed they are consolidating a bit with the dropping of the 4X series. I never understood why they just didn't ditch the ART series all together and use the D line format for their plastic boxes. Application wise, they are completely overlapping and the D Line doesn't have polarizing cosmetics.
That's interesting! I've only ever heard of Powersoft and RCF amps in terms of folks mixing up the Digipro / Digimod nomenclature. I guess if they used to use Powersoft OEM, that's making things even more confusing!

You are right about mixing up all the names and launching numerous new models, iterations of old models, and confusing lines by changing the names as newer models are launched and old versions remain in the catalogue.

It seems unnecessary, since they do seem to make a fine range of well built boxes to suit a wide range of users.

The distribution is also a bit mixed up. They still allow big box web resellers to offer pro grade products such as some of the HD line alongside basic MI boxes.

This has caused a degree of damage to the reputation of reputable products, such as sharp pencil engineering designs like the HDL20a. A perfectly serviceable speaker used correctly, but the latter is unlikely when bought blind as the cheapest name brand line array element available on the internet - sadly often used incorrectly and in insufficient numbers.

RCF and DB Tech seem very good at leveraging their design expertise and manufacturing capabilities into excellent products. They have also got plenty of attention for that via impressive performances at trade shows.

What they seem less good at is all the business in the middle, from sensible demarcation of product lines to channel distribution. Furthermore the evolution of DB Tech's top lines to compete directly with RCF products seems like further unnecessary complication.

Both brands build interesting innovative products, in particular the extremely impressive TTL6a and Ingenia (sp?) boxes. However these don't seem to get the attention they deserve, given their capability.

I was especially blown away by the TTL6a, when I got to hear it compared with 6 - 10 element hangs of various sized line arrays. Despite everyone else in the room having a similar reaction, to the best of my knowledge we only have 4 of them locally - the 2 from the original demo, plus a pair in a prestigious local venue. The company which owns/installed them must have well over 250 RCF line array elements in their inventory by contrast, plus near the same number again in terms of subs - sadly the market seems to be dictating a very specific former factor demand!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search