The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Use One Cabinet or Two? How to decide? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Use One Cabinet or Two? How to decide?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the setup for an upcoming gig, specifically whether I should use one cabinet or two. I will have little to no opportunity to A/B it on site.

The room is about 25 X 50 feet. Ceiling is about 25 feet. Cement floor, all hard surfaces. The "stage" is in a corner. On the short wall to stage right there's an open roll-up door about 8 X 10 feet. Brewpub in a light industrial/warehouse building. People are there for conversation and beer, not a concert, so we don't want to be very loud.

The program material is vocals + acoustic string instruments + drums.

The cabinets are 12" RCF (no sub), and will be on stands about 5 or 6 feet high at the base of the speaker.

I'm thinking that two cabinets in a smallish bouncy room like that could easily interfere with one another and create a lot of mush. I'm also thinking that two cabinets could help with achieving coverage at a lower SPL. My thinking ain't worth a whole lot, though. What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa916 View Post
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the setup for an upcoming gig, specifically whether I should use one cabinet or two. I will have little to no opportunity to A/B it on site.

The room is about 25 X 50 feet. Ceiling is about 25 feet. Cement floor, all hard surfaces. The "stage" is in a corner. On the short wall to stage right there's an open roll-up door about 8 X 10 feet. Brewpub in a light industrial/warehouse building. People are there for conversation and beer, not a concert, so we don't want to be very loud.

The program material is vocals + acoustic string instruments + drums.

The cabinets are 12" RCF (no sub), and will be on stands about 5 or 6 feet high at the base of the speaker.

I'm thinking that two cabinets in a smallish bouncy room like that could easily interfere with one another and create a lot of mush. I'm also thinking that two cabinets could help with achieving coverage at a lower SPL. My thinking ain't worth a whole lot, though. What do you think?

Thanks.
I'd defnitely go 2' higher...or more...to even out the front>back coverage. If you add tilters, even better. 5-6' is just too low. Other than that I'd say set up two and turn on the second one only if needed for coverage.

If you're interested, study up on "critical distance": Critical distance - Wikipedia

Here's a link to a CD calculator to play around with:

Critical Distance calculator

Last edited by Wyllys; 1 week ago at 02:32 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
I'd defnitely go 2' higher...or more...to even out the front>back coverage. If you add tilters, even better. 5-6' is just too low. Other than that I'd say set up two and turn on the second one only if needed for coverage.

If you're interested, study up on "critical distance": Critical distance - Wikipedia

Here's a link to a CD calculator to play around with:

Critical Distance calculator
Thank you, Wyllys. My stands won't go higher, at least not safely.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you, Wyllys. My stands won't go higher, at least not safely.
What stands do you have? Which RCF's?

Brand, model, links to specs. Help us help you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What stands do you have? Which RCF's?

Brand, model, links to specs. Help us help you.
Speakers are RCF HD32A. 41 pounds.

The stands are cheap-o Rockville RVES1. Mfr rated at 100 pounds, but I wouldn't even ... The highest setting that feels stable puts the bottom of the cabinet at about 5 feet.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speakers are RCF HD32A. 41 pounds.

The stands are cheap-o Rockville RVES1. Mfr rated at 100 pounds, but I wouldn't even ... The highest setting that feels stable puts the bottom of the cabinet at about 5 feet.
Those stands are quite sturdy. The manufacturers rating as to height is totally within safety limits at full extension.

No need to worry as long as the floor is level...

Nice speakers, by the way.

Have fun, good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Those stands are quite sturdy. The manufacturers rating as to height is totally within safety limits at full extension.

No need to worry as long as the floor is level...

Nice speakers, by the way.

Have fun, good luck.
Yes, I really like those RCFs. About to start loading up. Perhaps I'll put a bit more trust in the stands. Thanks again, Wyllys.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The other three band members were late (both with and without valid reasons). I did the whole setup myself. I put the speaker stands on the lowest setting, thinking that once someone else was there to assist me, we'd raise them as high as seemed safe. In the hustle to get started within sight of the scheduled time, I completely forgot about raising the speakers. It didn't cross my mind until teardown. Next time ...

Ended up using both speakers and I didn't hear anything I could ID as interference from that, but soundcheck was, shall we say, brief.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search