The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lewitt MTP550 dynamic mic. Dynamic Microphones
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Lewitt MTP550 dynamic mic.

I’ve been using the mic for the past few days because the band I’m working with has two of them for the lead and backing vocals.

I’m impressed, it sounds ver good, very smooth and it does not feedback. The gain before feedback and off axis rejection is amazing and it sounds clear at all levels. Proximity effect is good and cupping the mic on or below the mechanics ring has little or no effect on its performance and it’s really solid.

At less than $200 it’s an easy and affordable tdial mic.
Old 20th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your experience with this mic. I’ve been quite interested in trying the Lewitt mics.
Old 20th July 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome mic, I have no problem or reservations to recommend it. It’s performance matches microphones that cost a lot more.

Our stage is extremely loud but we have not had any problems with feedback or any other type of weirdness to deal with and handling noise is not a problem either.
Old 20th July 2018
Gear Addict

Great tip!
There are some interesting condenser mics from Lewitt too. A tube mic with a selfnoise of 9 dB, a FET/tube mic where you can mix both circuits, a mic that records front and rear of the capsule seperatly so you can change the polar pattern after recording ... any many more. All at really good prices.
BTW, you can get the MTP550 for 99,- € or 79,- GBP now!

Roman Perschon, the head of Lewitt gathered exeperience within AKG for many years. He really seems doing it right.
Old 21st July 2018
S21
Lives for gear

My local store (or their web site) started selling these a few months back. The recorded samples sounded good. I especially liked the 840.

They sell them on a drop-ship basis, so I can't go and see them in-the-flesh. Across all brands, 90% of the mic models on sale aren't enduring classics. I am inherently skeptical of new mics. It is good to get some feedback on them from the real world.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

The experience with this microphone means I’ll definately have to check out some of their other products...the stage volume of this band is impressively loud and the fact that I have not had to do anything special to prevent feedback or any other problems is raising eyebrows at every stop on the tour, in fact apart from some high-pass and some EQ, I do not use any dynamic processing on either voice (one male lead and one female backing). The male lead is also playing lead guitar in front of two big, loud rigs, and the backing vocalist is playing and impressively large percussion rig next to the drummer. Both move around a lot and only get in front of the mic when they sing, I keep both mics open all the time...no automixer, no gate or expander and those voices sit on top of the music without feedback.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
The experience with this microphone means I’ll definately have to check out some of their other products...the stage volume of this band is impressively loud and the fact that I have not had to do anything special to prevent feedback or any other problems is raising eyebrows at every stop on the tour, in fact apart from some high-pass and some EQ, I do not use any dynamic processing on either voice (one male lead and one female backing). The male lead is also playing lead guitar in front of two big, loud rigs, and the backing vocalist is playing and impressively large percussion rig next to the drummer. Both move around a lot and only get in front of the mic when they sing, I keep both mics open all the time...no automixer, no gate or expander and those voices sit on top of the music without feedback.
That sounds very impressive. I’ve had similar experience with the Telefunken M80. Do you ever use automixer for vocals on loud stages?
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Do you ever use automixer for vocals on loud stages?
No, I’ve never used it period. Nothing against using it mind you, but when the stage is that loud I prefer to get manual, with maybe a little expansion in the mix to help.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

That’s good to hear, I’m a very happy studio user of the MTP440DM (among other Lewitt mics), which was made more for instruments and drums, a great mic.
The MTP550 is probably intended for live vocals, but it could have its uses for recording - voice overs come to mind.
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I’ve never used it period. Nothing against using it mind you, but when the stage is that loud I prefer to get manual, with maybe a little expansion in the mix to help.
Yes me too. Never used an automixer live yet.
Old 23rd July 2018
Here for the gear
Total agreement on the Lewitt MTP550 being an excellent live mic. No feedback issues, vocals sound present, real, and frankly, amazing.

Lewitt is making the finest new mics I've heard and used in the last few years. Their new LCT 440 Pure LDC is very worthy, IME.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Sam, how's the sound compared to the MBHO mic you like?
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
Sam, how's the sound compared to the MBHO mic you like?
I didn't get the chance to do an exhaustive comparison test, but the few times I got the chance to listen to them together, everybody remarked about the clarity of the MBHO compared to the Lewitt and everything else that was put next to it. I never used the MBHO during a show with this particular band but we never had a feedback issue the one time we used it during a soundcheck.

I cannot stress enough about the stage level with this band...it was definitely one of the loudest band I've worked with. All the mics are so cranked up I can hear my own breathing through the monitors when I walk across the stage, and every local crew on every festival remarked about the stage level...we did not have one incidence of feedback during the tour, at least not on any of the gigs I mixed. I was impressed.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Addict

Hope it sounds better than the OM7. OM7 works well with high stage level but I think it sounds terrible.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hope it sounds better than the OM7. OM7 works well with high stage level but I think it sounds terrible.
This thread wouldn't exist if it sounded terrible.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I didn't get the chance to do an exhaustive comparison test, but the few times I got the chance to listen to them together, everybody remarked about the clarity of the MBHO compared to the Lewitt and everything else that was put next to it. I never used the MBHO during a show with this particular band but we never had a feedback issue the one time we used it during a soundcheck.
You made me curious now. I missed that MBHO makes a dynamic. You are talking about the MBD 219, right?
I sounds like you prefer the MBHO to everything else. Can you tell us more about it. Also why did you use the Lewitt if the MBHO was available?
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
You made me curious now. I missed that MBHO makes a dynamic. You are talking about the MBD 219, right?
I sounds like you prefer the MBHO to everything else. Can you tell us more about it. Also why did you use the Lewitt if the MBHO was available?
It was not a secret that the MBHO 219 S and SC are my favorite live sound microphones for years...and there are many threads with me talking about my experiences and giving my opinion on the mic. I've never heard of, let alone used the Lewitt before this tour, I used the Lewitt because the singer is endorsed and insisted that he did not want to use another mic.

I'm happy I got the chance to use it because I liked the mic right off the bat and I intend to use/test further when Im not on the road and my schedule is a little less intense.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Addict

OK, thanks. I missed your mbho posts and will read them now.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
You mean the OM7 does/doesn't sound terrible? I take it you're referring to the Lewitt.
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean the OM7 does/doesn't sound terrible? I take it you're referring to the Lewitt.
Of course I'm talking about the Lewitt, in the OP I clearly said I thought it sounded very good, what was the point of the thread if the mic didn't sound good? The thread has nothing to do with the OM7.
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Of course I'm talking about the Lewitt, in the OP I clearly said I thought it sounded very good, what was the point of the thread if the mic didn't sound good? The thread has nothing to do with the OM7.
It has nothing to do with the MBHO mic either. I asked you how it compared to the MBHO. You replied. I asked how it compared to another mic, the OM7, that has similar qualities. You decided to get snarky the second time. Most people have not heard the Lewitt and need some frame of reference.
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the MBHO mic either. I asked you how it compared to the MBHO. You replied. I asked how it compared to another mic, the OM7, that has similar qualities. You decided to get snarky the second time. Most people have not heard the Lewitt and need some frame of reference.
Here we go...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll reiterate that I think the Lewitt sounds good and add that I did not do a side by side comparison between the Lewitt and the OM7...my comments on the Lewitt microphone are based on a specific set of experiences while working with a single band in a specific set of conditions, nothing else.

I also suggested above that the cost of the microphone is low enough that anyone who wanted to could buy it and test it for themselves, nobody has to, or should rely solely on my word.

Last edited by Samc; 26th July 2018 at 05:06 AM..
Old 2nd August 2018
S21
Lives for gear

Haven't had a huge chance to play, but without eq I get about 3-4dB more out of the 550 than I get out of my "standard" mic, the e935. That's waving the front of the mics in the direction of the floor monitor.

It's a good sounding solid mic. I had mixed feelings about the "look" of the mic from the web site pictures, but now I can see it I think it looks great.
Old 2nd August 2018
I really like the lewitt MTP 550 on snare bottom combined with the MTP 440 on top its just a killer sound.
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Haven't had a huge chance to play, but without eq I get about 3-4dB more out of the 550 than I get out of my "standard" mic, the e935. That's waving the front of the mics in the direction of the floor monitor.

It's a good sounding solid mic. I had mixed feelings about the "look" of the mic from the web site pictures, but now I can see it I think it looks great.
Hi S,

if you find the time and repeat your test with the e935, I'd be interested how the rear sides of those mics behave in comparison. I think this is the more critical side in most cases in my opinion.
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibelzebub View Post
I really like the lewitt MTP 550 on snare bottom combined with the MTP 440 on top its just a killer sound.
Every good sounding/performing vocal mic can and will sound good on most other instruments. If a mic sounds good/accurate, performs well...will manage high SPL, has good rejection and proximity effect, it will perform well on most instruments.

The size, shape and weight of the mic are the only parameters that should make it inappropriate for certain duties...I wish I could get the the MBHO MBD219, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421 and Bayer M88TG in various shapes and sizes, I wouldn't need anything else.

The thing I don't get though is why a mic that sounds good on the bottom of the snare wouldn't sound good on the snare top, or on toms? Are we using different microphones all over the kit just because we can, or is there some kind of expectation bias that tells us we need something else.
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post

I'm happy you like it, but its great to know that you share my enthusiasm for testing things for yourself instead of just relying on someone else's opinion.
Old 2nd August 2018
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi S,

if you find the time and repeat your test with the e935, I'd be interested how the rear sides of those mics behave in comparison. I think this is the more critical side in most cases in my opinion.
Will give it a go on Sunday night.
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibelzebub View Post
I have both these mics, also, although I have not thought to try that configuration .

I can only imagine that it sounds very good indeed! That MTP 440! What a wonderful transducer! Mate that with the sublime MTP 550, and I'll bet magic happens...

Nice! I will try that.
Old 5th August 2018
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi S,

With the monitor at the singer's feet, and the mic horizontal on a mic stand the 550 is about 2dB better than the 935.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search