The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Qsc ks212c PA Speakers & PA Management
Old 13th July 2018
Qsc ks212c

Anyone used these yet?
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

Yes.
Old 16th July 2018
How are they?
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Nut

They're good. But what are you looking for them to do? What environment? What type of music? Don't expect them to give you a lot of punch from a kick drum or your'll certainly blow them up. But they do give a nice low end to your setup. Make sure you have them well in front of your band to get any benefit from the cardioid setup.
Old 16th July 2018
I've got a pair of ksubs and kw181, just wondering how they compare from an actual intelligent users perspective in say a bar band/small festival type situation.
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Nut

I sold my KW181's in favor of the KS212C's because of a) the size is much smaller and b) I really like the cardioid pattern. What I found is that they don't nearly have the punch of the KW's nor are they able to provide the same sound level.

They work for me in small environments where my band is playing smooth jazz. But if the band is going to play dance music in a larger venue or if I'm running sound outdoors, it's definitely going to be my big dBTechnologies subs. These guys just can't give me that punch that I want for that.
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear

For how big venues, in terms of number of people in it, system of 2x ks212c and 2x k12.2 could be used? For example for some party band. Would it have to consist out of four subs or more?
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by knga7 View Post
For how big venues, in terms of number of people in it, system of 2x ks212c and 2x k12.2 could be used? For example for some party band. Would it have to consist out of four subs or more?
It's hard to say. It's really more dependent on what type of music you are playing and how much air you want/need to push with the subs.
Old 8th August 2018
Here for the gear

So, I got opportunity to test KS212C and KW181, with my K12.2 tops. It was on open field, at least 40m away from buildings. There were 10 people, mostly sound engineers and musicians. We tested it with different types of music, keyboards and drum machine, on medium volume and also on top volume, to hear maximum sub output.

- QSC KS212C: we tested it with crossover set to 80hz (as is supposed to be with K12.2 tops, and also 100hz). We were amazed by its punch and bass clarity, it sounds really nice in that upper range of low frequencies (70 -100 hz). As we expected there was not that many of really low frequencies, especially when compared to KW181, which goes deeply. But we all noticed increase in very low frequencies when we set KS212C to horizontal position (not on the picture). Cardio pattern really does its job. When you compare sound at front and 1m behind, it feels like someone turned off the sub.

- QSC KW181: when compared to KS212C, it really goes deeper and louder. You can 'feel' more bass than with KS212C. We noticed that on some songs, it produced some strange artefacts, it sounded as it was already in limit, but it wasn't. Maybe that was because of box resonance? Compared to KS212C it lacked a bit of those higher low frequencies, we got feeling that there is something missing in frequency range between tops and very low frequencies that KW181 did produced well.

Comparing them in maximum output gave us pretty different results. We pushed both to reach a limit point, and than back it off a bit. With some songs KW181 was noticeable louder and more powerful, and KS212C couldn't compete. But with other songs we could play similarly loud with both. It really depends on what LF material we were playing. When playing with drum machine, there was just slightly more output with KW181, but KS212C amazed with it's punch and clarity. This same drum machine will be used with those speakers in future with my band playing with it, that is why we also tested it. We also tested with music material that my band will be playing, that is some pop-rock and folks music, which does not have or need that extra low frequencies.

We were voting for both subs, and 2 votes went to KW181 and 8 votes went to KS212C. Reasons for KS212C were puncy sound, bass clarity, cardio, and really good DSP (delay, crossover, scenes). For applications and types of music this system will be used for, it did better job than KW181, but for some other applications, maybe some rock music and bigger events, KW181 would be same or even better decision!

For both I can say are really designed good, both have really quiet casters, covers are great (and expensive) and both systems produce really good sound.

Again, for my applications and type of music I chose KS212C over KW181.

Hope this short test helps someone to decide correctly, if they don't have chance to test both.

Greetings,
Alen

*edit*: I have problems insering image in this message
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search