The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stage keyboard piano sound Digital & Stage Pianos
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Stage keyboard piano sound

Hi all,

I am mainly a classical and Jazz pianist and I have been reconsidering my live sound system and equipment overall.
Some of my questions and topics that I’ll be asking below have been somewhat discussed in this forum or other forums in the past but wasn’t necessarily directly addressed, or, if they were, it was couple years back. Technology has changed with lots of new good stuff out there. Therefore, I would like your opinions of what’s currently the best sound system for a live keyboard setting.
I am reconsidering my equipment due to a change in budget and also have been using my gear for a little while now and would like to get better quality.

I have a Roland RD300nx 88 and a Behringer K900fx PA/keyboard amp. I practice all the time with headphones at home for getting the highest sound quality. I used mostly the grand piano sound on it to practice and play live. I am aware that it’s close to impossible to have the same sound quality and feel/touch than a nice grand piano on a stage keyboard, but I found that the RD300nx is compensating for that a lot, even though there are better keyboards out there. Maybe worth mentioning that I had a Korg SV1 88 before switching to the RD300nx but found the touch/feel and sound quality not as good than the RD300nx. Also, I’m aware that it’s hard to achieve the sound quality of headphones using a PA system or else. But I would like to aim for the best I can get.

I am thinking in the upcoming month/year to upgrade my keyboard to a the relatively new Nord Stage 3 88 and possibly getting a real upright piano for home practice. With that being said, now we can discuss sound system.
From what I have read my best option is to go with a PA system and buy a pair to run it in stereo. I am not an expert in terms of sound system but I have been disappointed about my sound on stage or live 95% of the time I giged. It’s to a point where my playing is diminished.

I tried recently at guitar center a pair of QSC K10 in stereo, placed on the ground behind me and was surprised by the sound. I’m considering getting them but they have been out there for a while now and even the .2 version came out in 2017 I believe, I’m wondering if there are better speakers on the market, regardless of price (staying reasonable) or whether these are still the high end stuff?

My questions to you are whether K10.2 are still worth getting?
When I play live, it’s in a Jazz quartet/quintet setting, or solo piano Jazz. I recently joined a progressive rock cover band and we usually plug to the house PA, so I could maybe complement with my speakers towards me to hear myself in stereo.

Studio monitors may not provide enough power for my situation.
What do you all think? How can the best live stage sound be achieved for a clean, even, powerful when needed, keyboard (piano sound) and to practice as well as of mid-2018. I know it’s a never ending question but I’m sure you all have experiences and knowledge to share.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You have described two different types of live performance but I assume both will require some sort of sound reinforcement to provide adequate FOH sonic delivery. If your jazz ensemble features back line amps and your needs are for cue monitoring only an in or over the ear system or small speaker will surffice. However in the event you are needing to provide a complete FOH system, something on the order of TT speakers (about 2K each) on poles and either a Ui24r or QUsb deck (APX 1K) will do a good job for you.
I run a Yamaha CP5 through a Digigrid/Waves LV1 to a KV2 speaker system that sounds spectacular however you do not have to spend that much $ to get a great sound!
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

In a jazz ensemble setting, I don’t need to provide sound for everyone. Horns don’t need it usually, bass and guitar have their amps. The Pa would be for just keyboard most of the time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The sounds the keyboards put out these days have a much higher quality and are much more accurate than in the past. Their frequency range is much greater also.
The sound system therefore needs to be as accurate as possible in order to faithfully reproduce those sounds. The QSC K Series is an excellent choice. They cover the entire frequency range very well and sound much more accurate than a lot of other PA systems out there. The QSC equipment is my preferred choice when going Live.

It is disappointing to go to a Live venue and hear the sounds of keyboards sounding muddy.

Last edited by jaxman12; 1 week ago at 10:20 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
The sounds the keyboards put out these days have a much higher quality and are much more accurate than in the past. Their frequency range is much greater also.
The sound system therefore needs to be as accurate as possible in order to faithfully reproduce those sounds. The QSC K Series is an excellent choice. They cover the entire frequency range very well and sound much more accurate than a lot of other PA systems out there. The QSC equipment is my preferred choice when going Live.

It is disappointing to go to a Live venue and hear the sounds of keyboards sounding muddy.
It is indeed. Especially knowing that so much better can be obtained.

I'm surprised that the QSC K series are still the best on the market after more than 10 years being around ... granted they released the .2 a year ago. No others?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

IMO my yamaha dsr is better and louder. Qsc k is plastic and harsh when pushed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Two points of interest to be considered;
1. You are describing a FOH system if the amplification is to carry a sufficient db level to be compatible with back line amps. Also jaxman12's comment pursuant to the wide HZ coverage in play with piano is spot on.
2."Best" is a nebulous term and IMO it is a reach to put QSC K gear at that level. Various elements including price, sonic quality, predictable pattern coverage, dependability and tech service are all important and need to be considered. Brands such as Meyer, KV2 and a few others have earned the "best" rating in most of the qualities I have raised except price. Small incremental differences generally produce substantial price inflation.
QSC K gear arguably may well be the best value available: but that alone does not put them in the "Best" category.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jordyzzz View Post
IMO my yamaha dsr is better and louder. Qsc k is plastic and harsh when pushed.
The 10" of the QSC K series is what I would be looking at. The 12" will probably be too much for what I'm doing. Wouldn't that therefore put the Yamaha DSR112 out of question? Maybe the DXR10 would be more of what I'm looking at?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

whether a keyboard is getting played solo or in a band, i like it to go through a combo/active speaker for monitoring purposes under the control of the musician (as with bass and guitar combos/stacks).

i'm having great success using bass combos (if they have a hf tweeter or horn) or any active speaker that goes low enough to reproduce the left hand.

compare and chose what suits your needs best - maybe you have some money left for a decent pair of (passive) di's if you just rent a pa when you have to go louder/project further - if this is the standard situation, i'd still opt for an additional monitor; could then be smaller and less powerfull.

(and check out some newer turbosound and ev active speakers)
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear

I'm going to give a pair of QSC K10.2 a try and return them if I'm not happy with them. Thank you all for the advices.

I have seen couple bundle pack out there where they include supports, bags, cables, and even a mixer. For example, QSC K10.2 Powered Speaker COMPLETE AUDIO BUNDLE | KraftMusic.com

Regarding the price, it's worth it. However, I don't want to have the extra item to be cheap quality. Especially, everything that could affect the sound such as the mixer, or possibly the cables. Do you all think that these sort of bundles are worth it? Or should I rather try to buy items separately.
I need everything that is in that bundle anyway, but I don't want to loose audio quality due to the mixer for instance. What are your thoughts on this Mackie mixer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search