The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Personal Monitor for Keyboard?
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Head

Personal Monitor for Keyboard?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 'personal monitor' gizmo (wired) for a keyboard player.
These are the ones I've seen available:

1) Rolls PM351 - Good
2) ANLEON PM200 - Good
3) Samson S-Monitor - Possible? - as has a stereo mix in but ALSO a stereo mix THRU (and volume)!
4) Mirtek HM2 - Possible? as has a stereo mix in but ALSO a stereo mix THRU

5) Rolls PM50 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
6) DAP Stage Cube SC1 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
7) Omnitronic LH-115 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
8) Behringer MA400 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
9) ART My Monitor - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
10) ANLEON PM100 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs
11) Pyle PHA211 - Only mic not balanced line/instrument inputs

The Rolls, is great, I've already got one for guitar, vocals and mix and it cost me more secondhand than the Anleon costs new.

In the UK Rolls stuff is much more expensive than it is in the USA. The Anleon PM200 seems to be a copy of the Rolls PM351. Has anyone tried the PM200?

Or are there any other personal wired monitors available for less than £100 that have stereo balanced inputs and thru?

Essentially I need something that has an 'independant volume control' so that the keyboard player can alter the monitor volume without affecting the FOH mix.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Jazzy; 3rd July 2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Why do you need a thru? Just use a splitter cable (or two) with the line-level signals. The input impedance of a little powered speaker will be plenty high enough to not affect the signal appreciably going to the main PA.

Most keyboards (at least most recent ones I've seen) don't have balanced outputs, just unbalanced ones on 1/4" jacks. You could most likely also feed the headphone output of the keyboard to most any of these little headphone amps via the unbalanced monitor input and use the personal monitor as the headphone volume control.
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Why do you need a thru? Just use a splitter cable (or two) with the line-level signals. The input impedance of a little powered speaker will be plenty high enough to not affect the signal appreciably going to the main PA.

Most keyboards (at least most recent ones I've seen) don't have balanced outputs, just unbalanced ones on 1/4" jacks. You could most likely also feed the headphone output of the keyboard to most any of these little headphone amps via the unbalanced monitor input and use the personal monitor as the headphone volume control.
It's a Kurzweil SP4-7 with balanced outs. Ideally would like to be able to change the volume from the keyboard without affecting the PA mix. With a personal monitor like the Rolls PM351 you can send a balanced stereo mix to the PA and 'steal' a stereo mix to send to a monitor. You can then adjust the volume of your monitor mix with a knob on the PM351 rather than having to get down on your knees and fiddle behind a powered monitor to change the volume.

Those are all of the advantages of using a 'Personal Monitor gizmo' - what I'm not happy about is that the Rolls stuff is double the price in the UK. Saying that I've not even seen Rolls stuff for sale in the UK, but Thomann in Germany sells it.

So if anyone knows wha the quality of the ANLEON PM200 is like then please let me know at it's half the price of the Rolls PM351.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search