The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The summer festival season is here. Headphone Amps
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

general observation

having mixed a few bands this summer season, i was heavily reminded of how insane parts of our business are/have become:

trucks of gear get moved around the continent although there would be a large rig available every 200 kilometers (or even closer), plus almost every band is carrying their own desk (often two) with them even though they would not really need more than 16 channels with some basic processing! - most silly thing this years (so far): someone using the monitor desk which got provided but inserting graphic eqs running on a server!

what i sometimes get to hear (at foh) is way below what an experienced festival engineer could get with just a line check - no wonder when looking at the parameters on the desks of some visiting engineers (plenty of time to do so when a festival is not running on schedule but you were there as requested).

having survived a gig (after hours of waiting, yet minimal changeover time), you then get assaulted by the constant boom boom coming from the tents on your way to the hotel...

...and walking a festival area after visitors have left gets me depressed: so much litter, waste and trash!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
having mixed a few bands this summer season, i was heavily reminded of how insane parts of our business are/have become:

trucks of gear get moved around the continent although there would be a large rig available every 200 kilometers (or even closer), plus almost every band is carrying their own desk (often two) with them even though they would not really need more than 16 channels with some basic processing! - most silly thing this years (so far): someone using the monitor desk which got provided but inserting graphic eqs running on a server!

what i sometimes get to hear (at foh) is way below what an experienced festival engineer could get with just a line check - no wonder when looking at the parameters on the desks of some visiting engineers (plenty of time to do so when a festival is not running on schedule but you were there as requested).

having survived a gig (after hours of waiting, yet minimal changeover time), you then get assaulted by the constant boom boom coming from the tents on your way to the hotel...

...and walking a festival area after visitors have left gets me depressed: so much litter, waste and trash!
I haven’t had any real delays so far this year, but I agree about the fact that everybody is running around with a truck load of gear that hardly (if ever) make any difference to what they’re doing. It’s gotten so ridiculous that some festival are only allowing headliners to bring their own consoles.

I’m generally happy with how some of the bigger, more responsible festivals manage garbage connection and treatment. We have a very efficient collection, sorting and compaction system on site and with all the bins we put in place we can’t stop some flop Le from littering.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The tourbus was invaded by a squadron of 3 or 4 giant Asian hornets just after midnight this morning at a gas station in the middle of France and two people (including me) were stung. A banal toilet stop in the middle of nowhere got turned into a serious emergency situation within a matter of seconds...apparently the extreme heat of the day followed by a violent thunderstorm and we probably parked over or next to their nest was a declaration of war which may have aggravated the hornets.

Within seconds of opening the doors they flew into the bus and started aggressively attacking anything that moved, which started a panicked counter attack defense with towels and magazines on our part, which made them even more aggressive, which increased the panic..... My hand and arm has swollen to twice its regular size but its the excruciating pain from the sting that was just absolutely frightening...it is amazing and scary that an insect could be so aggressive and inflict such pain with a single sting.

Thankfully neither of us who got stung are allergic and we were only stung once or the situation could have been dangerous...we were told that these insects can and usually strike several times pumping several doses of their powerful venom into you which can result in serious problems. Just when you think you've seen or heard everything some crazy **** like this happens and forces you to rethink how you do things. How do you prepare for something like this, what could we have done if the emergency service or communication services were not as efficient or if one of us were allergic and/or had been stung several times?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I know it is a panic reaction, but as you said they attack everything moving.
So, stand still, don't move !

Lucky for you France has an excellent health system and very efficient Samu, so, in case someone got a allergic reaction, help is not far away.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
I know it is a panic reaction, but as you said they attack everything moving.
So, stand still, don't move !
Don't know about you, but I find it a little hard to not move when a 4cm long insect armed with a 2.5mm hypodermic needle loaded with venom lands on my body. Especially since I have no idea why it's ticked off and if my breathing, body temperature or a small twitch might set it off.

Quote:
Lucky for you France has an excellent health system and very efficient Samu, so, in case someone got a allergic reaction, help is not far away.
I think it's a little more than just "luck"...I pay taxes, but point well taken.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Don't know about you, but I find it a little hard to not move when a 4cm long insect armed with a 2.5mm hypodermic needle loaded with venom lands on my body. Especially since I have no idea why it's ticked off and if my breathing, body temperature or a small twitch might set it off.
If they are already on my body, i think i would also have a panic reaction
But not moving is still the best way to not upset them.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
If they are already on my body, i think i would also have a panic reaction
But not moving is still the best way to not upset them.
I understand what you're saying and this is probably what would happen if one of these insects came unto my veranda while I was having a lemonade. But when a swarm of angry hornets comes unto a cramped and dimly lit bus and immediately stings someone...it's really hard to just stand still when all hell is breaking loose around you.

The firemen who showed up seemed impressed that we killed three of them under the conditions, I was too.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I think it's a little more than just "luck"...I pay taxes, but point well taken.

No way you stand still, at least in the high humidity Midwest and Southern USA in summertime.
Luckily LED Lights have replaced 1000 watt PAR Lamps and Super Trooper Spots.
They put light and heat on you.
At night from 50 yards out I can see these giant bastards spiraling in like Kamikazes and Im stuck behind keyboards but stand while I perform, so I can duck and side step a little.
If your a drummer you just have to take the Grasshoppers and June Bugs.

Thankfully the money is good.
My outdoor 1U PCs are Supermicro Servers with triple barrel fans on high which is 22k rpm.
They’re so damn loud it’s like a vacuum cleaner.
I got 5 more weeks of this, then I go indoors where I inhale smoke.

I tell ya us folks in the biz get no respect...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The start of a new era...different band, genre and festivals.

Reggae festival on a very windy beach and none of the stages have a roof or walls...the heat, wind and flying sand is going to make this interesting indeed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search