The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixing live set on stage Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

mixing live set on stage

any suggestions for my following issue?

the setup:
I play on my own, with pre recorded percussion & drums, live synths, piano, guitar, and 1 multi purpose mic for flute, kalimba, small xylophone, steelpan etc..
I run everything through ableton live and a bunch of controllers to record loops and use fx.

for now I mainly support yoga classes, combined with meditative concerts... so it's chill out, quiet music.

I am using my headphones all the time for mixing. the track volumes change constantly, as do the effects.

I really want to get rid of the headphones, as I want to be more present in the room in stead of my little coccoon... so I am thinking about putting a monitor next to me (I don't have one).

I have the HK lucas nano 602 as front of house (awesome sound for the size!).

I would think the best thing to do is to put a lucas nano 302 as monitor. the sound is probably close to my foh. but it's a bit more than I want to spend.

what's your opinion?
suggestions for compact stereo monitor system?
maybe small nearfield studiomonitors?
or forgeting about it and staying with the headphones?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
You are thinking clearly in wanting to have your monitor speaker to be like the foh, as much as possible. The most common mistake made by mixing from behind your mains without a monitor is that you don’t hear any directional highs, so you tend to make the HF EQ creep up and up. It sounds better and better to you, but increasingly over-bright, screechy and eventually very unpleasant and strange to those in front of your mains.
Losing the phones, at least some of the time, will do what you want. Besides connecting you with the room and the crowd, working without headphones gives you a better feel for the volume and the sound in the room. If you are playing into a growing bunch of bodies, you will often need to brighten up the speakers compared to what you set up in the empty room or space. Listening in the air you will hear that, and you also won’t have to guess at how your EQ change sounds out front.
I have never heard (or heard of) your speakers, but you should try to get the money to pay for a same-brand matching speaker. It makes it much easier to have a good idea of what the audience is hearing, which is the point.

Last edited by Bushman; 1 week ago at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah good idea. I do something similar minus the mic and got a set of dxr10s as monitors since i use 12s as mines. Having the same type of monitor system as mains probably work for ya. Best you can do when your performing and mixing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search