The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why no love for the waves lv1 system?
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
What are you even talking about? (...) Regarding features, it might be best for you to request a demo, read the manual, or watch the online tutorial video series. These will answer the vast majority of your questions
i was referring to the likelihood of how often a display/monitor needs to get replaced (not much in my experience) - and many thx for your generous information...
Old 3rd July 2019
I see. Only if they’re not properly packed. I’m not even nice to mine and haven’t broken one.
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear
I was recently at a show at Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles. It was a solo act show and the engineer used LV1 with Apogee Symphony MkII.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorfox1 View Post
I was recently at a show at Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles. It was a solo act show and the engineer used LV1 with Apogee Symphony MkII.
Any details on the Symphony configuration ? TB or Soundgrid ? Mic pre in Symphony ?
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Any details on the Symphony configuration ? TB or Soundgrid ? Mic pre in Symphony ?
I think it was a Symphony 8x8 + mic pre, Soundgrid.
The whole set up was one DI for guitar, 2 vocal mics, stereo for keyboards.
I think it was manageable with an 8x8 card and mic pre in Symphony.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Should sound pretty good...the PA was fed from the analog outs of the Apogee ?
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Should sound pretty good...the PA was fed from the analog outs of the Apogee ?
From my understanding, yes.
It sounded great.

I've been using some other Apogee stuff, but not Symphony.
I'd love to give it a try myself!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

I completely understand the confusion surrounding operating protocols with the Digigrid/Waves LV1systems. When the component options offer this degree of flexibility to tailor a system for your specific needs it is imperative to properly assess your needs and make appropriate gear decisions to meet these needs. I will explain the reasoning behind my set-up;

1) For starters the Digico "D" pres and conversion chips deliver world class digital data for FP32/96K processing and then impeccable analog delivery to FOH and Monitoring.
2) Many people will be running their LV1 software with a lap top however I chose a custom rack mounted computer with two hard drives: one for LV1 mgt. and the other for my Studio One DAW.
3) The quality and utilitarian value of Waves plug-ins are well established but it is very important to get a good grip on the limitless routing options that are available from capture to delivery. They are well beyond anything else available today. I like to send a pre only delivery of the initial capture to my DAW for multi-tracking in both studio and live FOH performance. IMO a properly crafted FOH embellishment or a studio cue mix is rarely a good starting point for a critical two mix.
4) The 8 channel Digigrid IOS has an internal server that operates very efficiently at 24/48 however if a lot of CPU hungry plug- ins (like the H-Verb) or FP32/96K processing is planned a properly sized server is imperative. The server does the heavy CPU processing and my server one cooling fan needs to be isolated from any mics with a 100 ft. cat 6 cable.
5) One huge advantage I have with my system is the ability to totally control a seamless integration of multi-track back up recordings for my solo gigs.

Today an A & H SQ5 with an appropriate stage box offers similar processing at an unbelievable low price point however if dante or waves cards and some of the other ancillary gear is needed to get where I am with my system you wind up in a very similar investment.
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Seen a couple of LV1 setups this year. None where convincing. They sound ok i guess (today's midrange gear is generally quite good sonically) but the McGuyvering of the stuff...man it was horrible. Some had the stuff all jam packed in to a peli case, ...and OFC the thing broke down overheating. Others had the usb and other cables always disconnecting from the touchscreen, other guy had everything nicely tied up in a rack... so much so that his expensive fader remote cracked in two when he tried to close it. ...then ppl show up with a cheap SQ or even an M32 and it just works, in the sun, 20 seconds after switching it on and connecting one rj45 and one mic for the TB. LV1 is just NOT ready for the rigours of live touring. Regardless of sound quality i would never take out this kind of setup compared to the reliability, ease of use and price/quality ratio of today's mid-range desks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Beauty is apparently still well within the eye of the beholder. Phoneeko obviously was nor impressed with the "McGuyver LV1 set ups" he alludes to. His preference for todays "Mid range gear" and packaging "a cheap SQ desk" with an M32 as examples of sonic peers that are much better practical alternatives is a strange conclusion. For starters there is a world of sonic difference between the "Cheap SQ" and an M32: the only thing cheap about an SQ is the price point. There will always be a much better mass understanding and preference for the mediocre performance of a simple VW than dealing with ownership and operation of an Enzo Ferrari. As I have previously stated, the DigiGrid/LV1 system is not the best solution for everyone. However the ability to assemble the exact gear needed to reach a given sonic and operational goal is pretty much the LV1 advantage.
Hugh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search