The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SUb power AMp recommendations? Consoles
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

SUb power AMp recommendations?

HI All!

I'm in the market for a power amp to drive a pair of Bag END D12DA ELF cabs for a PA system. - The cabs are 8 ohms each. I used to buy sub amps based on the damping factor rating, but I'm confused at the lack of published damping specs on the newer amps. I have powered these with a crown macrotech 400 in parallel mono mode and been quite pleased, but looking to get something lighter with a bbit more power and speakon outputs for portable use. The lighter weight class D and H amps are appealing for portability and high power ratings at affordable prices, but I'm concerned about having tight accurate bass. (I do more live bluegrass/jazz/acoustic/country than loud rock or R&B). I'm looking at a used crown xls 2502, anyone have experience with class D amps on subs vs old school class a/b amps? IS something a little heavier like the QSC 2450 going to sound better on subs? Other amps you recommend in the mid-fi price range? I tried a Behringer nu4 6000 and was not impressed at all for subs.

Thanks!

-j
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Powersoft or outline?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jordyzzz View Post
Powersoft or outline?
For ... President? Nobel prize? Gearslutz-ordered cosa nostra hit?

Don't those Bag End boxes need a bespoke processor, in attempting to circumnavigate Hoffman's iron law with a special low frequency boost?
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

powersoft m-series

not mid-prized in everyone's opinion, especially the dsp versions - highly recommended though!
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Yup, I have the processor. The subs are not efficient, but nice and even all the way down. Powersoft is way out of my budget.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post
For ... President? Nobel prize? Gearslutz-ordered cosa nostra hit?

Don't those Bag End boxes need a bespoke processor, in attempting to circumnavigate Hoffman's iron law with a special low frequency boost?
He's asking for amps, not processor. So i answered accordingly.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Ive heard subs that is powered by outline, labgruppen, powersoft. I think all of them is class d (is lapgruppen fp10000 class d?). They all sound good. But the audio processors are either lake or das audio. But it is in the higher spectrum of budget.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search