The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rcf jmix 8 Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rcf jmix 8

Hi Gearslutz,

I currently run one LD Systems Maui 28 Gen 1 (two when I play more than solo) and I'm looking for a replacement that has more grunt, but is in the similar format.

The RCF JMIX 8 looks like a fairly decent possibility, yet I have found very little in the way of reviews and the like. I'd like to manage my solo sessions so that I do away with the mixer and use something like this system.

As far as I can tell, RCF earns favourable reviews. I like this system better than the Evolve 50 as the RCF has onboard FX.

Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hi,
I'm not sure if I am the right person to answer but since those sticks are not really favored in this forum I expect you don't get too many answers. So I'm trying my best to help.

I heard the Maui 28 once but that was a whiole ago. I think it wasn't too bad but cannot give more info in it.

Also I haven't heard the RCF JMIX 8 but my band played through two RCF J8 (edit: it was the Evox 8, not J8)
2 weeks ago. Maybe I get killed here but I have to tell it was the best sound we ever had in a small pub. Just incredible, I didn't expect this.

But I want to describe the circumstances because the J8 maight not work compareable in other applications:
All 6 of us played acoustic instruments (2xgit, mandoline, dobro, fiddle, banjo, double bass and a cocktail drum kit). 4 of us sing solo and background. Everything was amped including bass and kick.

It was a really small gig with an audience of just 60 people. Stage was elevated and VERY tight for the 6 of us.
2 J8 (edit: Evox 8, not J8)left and right front stage and 2 Yamaha DBR 10 as side fills.
The stage had the same with as the room so both speakers were close to the walls. I just turned them inside about 25°. I expcted some problems with phase and feedback due to the wide pattern ... but no, nothing bad.
I have to add that this is a quite good sounding room. We played there before.

Soundcheck was easy, every single instrument sounded more natural than ever before. Audience said the sound was outstanding. Usually they don't care or don't say anything or they are just polite. :-)
Lots of headroom, I wouldn't be scared to use the speakers for a crowd 3 times as big - for that, our application.

Please try those speakers by yourself because
1. I don't know if there is a difference between the J8 (edit: Evox 8, not J8)and the JMIX8.
2. You might play a different kind of music and use different instruments with different pickups.
3. The room plays a role too. But as I said, we playd this room before - no comparison.

So this is just to motivate you to try these speakers out because there is a good chance they will work.

Good luck
Peter

Last edited by Peter Z; 1 week ago at 06:24 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The RCF Evox series is arguably the best of the bunch in the compact system category. Here are the areas where they are clearly better:

1. Components. Better drivers than any of the others, so...better sound, less distortion, more USABLE SPL.

2. More robust design. The "balancing column" offerings with their integrated connectivity are prone to failure and are difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot/repair. The Evox uses a good, old-fashioned Neutrik speaker cable, giving you the advantage of simple replacement with off-the-shelf parts should a problem crop up. Carrying a spare is nothing at all. Even if everything else was equal, this simple design difference makes the RCF the practical choice...the difference between professional equipment and "basement musician" toys.

3. More flexible deployment: adjustable height is an advantage.

I'm not impressed by any of the "on board mixer" thingies, though. Serious users will still want to have more, better EQ than available in these packages. Still, for a solo or duo performing in more intimate surroundings it's probably OK...and you can still carry something like an X12 to add processing on the front end and use the built-in "mixer" as a pass-through with everything set flat or bypassed.

The 12 would be my choice over the 8, though. Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I'm sorry, I made mistakes in my previous post!
We didn't play on the RCF Evox J8, ir was the Evox 8!
Don't know anything about the differences beside that the Evox 8 are wooden boxes and have smaller bass boxes while the J are plastic and bigger.
Sorry again!

Mixer was my little XR18. I also prefer external mixers but the JMIX onboard mixer seems to be better than other built in mixers.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Here's a link showing differences between the J8 and EVOX 8

There is a nice resonance that comes from wood. The polyprop is light and that appeals, and there is not currently a mixer with the wooden boxes. As far as I have been led to believe with the specs, the JMIX8 is the J8 with a mixer.

Quote:
I'm not impressed by any of the "on board mixer" thingies, though. Serious users will still want to have more, better EQ than available in these packages. Still, for a solo or duo performing in more intimate surroundings it's probably OK...and you can still carry something like an X12 to add processing on the front end and use the built-in "mixer" as a pass-through with everything set flat or bypassed.
Yep, I'm generally not impressed either. I'll be making a change for convenience at the smaller gigs I do, I sometimes play at Over 50s resorts, the ability to use a nice condenser mic, a guitar and tracks without lugging and connecting a mixer would save around 5-6 minutes of setup time before and after the gig.

Originally, I had both an LD Systems Maui 28 and a Maui 44. The Maui 44 has a beautiful concise mid and top range, and a heavy sub feel. But heavy was also the word...lugging a 90lb bass unit by myself was a bit of a chore. The Maui 28 (this is Gen 1) is much lighter on the bass and that's the main area it lacks. I A/B'd the EV Evolve 50 and the new Maui 28 Gen 2 and I marginally prefer the Evolve for the added thump of the 10" against the 2 x 8" subs in the Maui.

Though I haven't found a stockist in Australia to hear the JMIX8, I see RCF as being a solid brand to take a chance on importing one blind. I feel that the 12" woofer is going to be better again for the bass than the EV is. The EV doesn't have on board FX, so that's a bit of a disappointment. I also feel that the horizontal dispersion on the EV and the non-adjustability of the mounting pole is a negative.

Thanks for your comments!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search