The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New universal audio live apollo device
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

New universal audio live apollo device

Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, nice concept but a big misser if you ask me. Here's what's missing:

- MADI coaxial (Digico's don't have madi optical...)
- Dante (with primary and secondary ports!)
- Ability to use it as a regular UAD accelerator over thunderbolt
- PC control support
- USB port for control
- Network control supporting both wired and wifi (third port separate from Dante)
- Ability to use it as a thunderbolt-madi-dante interface (any stream to any stream or even patchable like the Appsys Multiverter)
- Channel count is too low, 32ch would make much more sense since 192kHz in live sound is very rare whereas 96kHz is very common. If the current 16ch are stereo I'd like to see a mono/stereo option where 32ch total can be divided into mono and stereo as required.

I could see myself using a box like this for live work as well as studio DSP or even having a madi converter in the studio and using the UAD rack as the centerpiece of the studio (conversion, DSP) as well as the live sound stuff. Tons of possibilities, they just forgot to ask the live guys what we actually need

Let's hope there will be a different version coming out soon for those of us who do need a true powerhouse. (octo DSP would be nice too...)

/rant

Dutchy
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
It has the Quadcore DSPs! I bought a Quad about 10 years ago.

So they sell a 10 year old DSP card.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
Yeah, nice concept but a big misser if you ask me. Here's what's missing:
- Channel count is too low, 32ch would make much more sense since 192kHz in live sound is very rare whereas 96kHz is very common.
Let's hope there will be a different version coming out soon for those of us who do need a true powerhouse. (octo DSP would be nice too...)

/rant

Dutchy
Even the Octo is seriously outdated powerwise. 32 channels would mean at least 32 plugins. Hard to do on a quad with the newer plugs.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

When I first started reading about it, I though it was going to be a challenger to Waves. In fact, I think I recall that there were discussions between the 2 companies a while back where UA was going to license their plugins on the Digigrid platform. But than never happened.

Then I read the specs...

It says up to 64 channels with 4 boxes. But if you look into the specs, it is only up to 32 channels if you're running 96kHz.

This is certainly no challenger to Waves.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadelman View Post
It says up to 64 channels with 4 boxes. But if you look into the specs, it is only up to 32 channels if you're running 96kHz.

This is certainly no challenger to Waves.
That's because a madi stream does 64ch at 48kHz which equals to 32ch at 96kHz (same amount of data). Perhaps 4 boxes can handle 64ch at 96kHz if two separate madi streams are used? (no officials on that yet I believe)

Dutchy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search