The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dante Noobie question Mixers (Digital)
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Dante Noobie question

Trying to wrap my head around this.

Can any Dante stagebox be used with any Dante-compatible console? Or do I need to have at least one console on the network that is same manufacturer?

Here's a "fer instance": if I have a Dante stagebox (say Yamaha Rio) and an M32 with a Dante card installed, can I control the gains on the mic amps in the stagebox with the Midas? Or would I also need a Yamaha console on the network to do that?

Or scenario 2: could I use an A&H iDR32 as a front end for an M32 (with Dante card installed)?

Or am I totally thinking about this the wrong way?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

DANTE: Digital Audio Network Through Ethernet

Digital audio signal protocol is standardized across the industry. Non-audio control protocols tend to be brand specific/proprietary, so the answer is...maybe, likely not. Dante will carry the control message, but the stage box and console must speak the same "language".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_(networking)
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
The Dante architecture centers around data transport. It will direct/route specific quantities of channels from a source to a pretty large quantity of destinations. The good news is that everything is compatible across manufacturers; no need to be concerned about that.

The bad news is that the propriety functions of preamp level control (for example) are vendor-specific and usually implemented via special control apps on an iPad, Android, Mac or PC platform.

I am most familiar with the M32 Dante implementation. It will talk to Dante Virtual Soundcards and other vendors' equipment (like the M-Dante card of the iDR32) just fine. The Dante Controller app supplied by Audinate makes sure of that. However, the preamp controls or aux send levels for the console or a DL32, DL151, S16, etc are specific to the apps supplied by the M32-Edit and M32-Q apps.

I'll leave it to someone else to offer info and advice about the Yamaha products.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
DANTE: Digital Audio Network Through Ethernet

Digital audio signal protocol is standardized across the industry. Non-audio control protocols tend to be brand specific/proprietary, so the answer is...maybe, likely not. Dante will carry the control message, but the stage box and console must speak the same "language".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_(networking)
Thanks Wyllys!
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
The Dante architecture centers around data transport. It will direct/route specific quantities of channels from a source to a pretty large quantity of destinations. The good news is that everything is compatible across manufacturers; no need to be concerned about that.

The bad news is that the propriety functions of preamp level control (for example) are vendor-specific and usually implemented via special control apps on an iPad, Android, Mac or PC platform.

I am most familiar with the M32 Dante implementation. It will talk to Dante Virtual Soundcards and other vendors' equipment (like the M-Dante card of the iDR32) just fine. The Dante Controller app supplied by Audinate makes sure of that. However, the preamp controls or aux send levels for the console or a DL32, DL151, S16, etc are specific to the apps supplied by the M32-Edit and M32-Q apps.

I'll leave it to someone else to offer info and advice about the Yamaha products.
Thanks Gary!

If you are familiar with the M32 Dante implementation, I hope to bother you with a different question:

If I am using a DL32 with AES50 as my front end to the M32, could I use the Dante card in the M32 to put that audio onto the network?

If it is possible, would that make clocking a nightmare?
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosoundman View Post
could I use the Dante card in the M32 to put that audio onto the network? If it is possible, would that make clocking a nightmare?
off course this can be done...
m32 as clock master and all other gear in slave mode; use external clock in the dante patch.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
While you can patch any Dante device to any othe Dante device that supports the same sampling rate, the only situation where a console of one manufacturer can control the preamps of another manufacturer that I'm aware of is Yamaha CL and QL consoles with Focusrite Rednet preamps.

Clocking large systems with Dante is IMO less tricky than with a WC. You can give a preference for the master clock but the network will automatically switch to a different clock source if the prefered source becomes unavailable.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Yes it can be done.
Use Dante Controller to patch the Rio channels to your X32, and a laptop running Yamaha’s R-Remote program to remotely control gains, phantom, etc.

R-Remote is free from the Yamaha website...

Quote:
QL Series | Mixers | Downloads

Info and downloads for Yamaha pro audio gear: mixers, processors, power amplifiers, speakers, and more.

>
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
Basically, any dante device can route audio to any other dante device, the patching will normally be done using dante controller.

Preamp control is a bit more tricky though, as its not a standard, if the desk you are using doesn't happen to support that specific preamp, then you would need to use some control software on a computer connected to the network to set the gains etc..

As an aside, the IDR32 as a frontend is a bit of a strange way of doing things that may not work quite how you want it to, as the IDR is actually a 32x16 digital mixer in its own right, so you would need to configure it to send the direct channel outs over the network.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
The SSL Dante stageboxes, and maybe some others, can be controlled via app, so some can easily be used with any console. The SSL boxes can also do gain compensation (share) with any console.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

Reality check:

The OP was asking about direct console:stage box control, not apps or added computer control. So the answer to the question is...nope.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
The OP was asking about direct console:stage box control, not apps or added computer control. So the answer to the question is...nope.
Quote:
Can any Dante stagebox be used with any Dante-compatible console?
So yes.

The example of console mic control was not exclusive to the main question.

In the interest of knowledge-share seems like it’s useful to know there are options that aren’t much of a burden, since there are 10 posts saying the same thing and not one that mentioned this.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Wyllys's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post

The example of console mic control was not exclusive to the main question.

In the interest of knowledge-share seems like it’s useful to know there are options that aren’t much of a burden, since there are 10 posts saying the same thing and not one that mentioned this.
Fair point. I'll just stick to my response in post #2 then.
Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump