The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for help with my dissertation
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looking for help with my dissertation

Hi everyone

For my final year of a Music Production Degree at university I am writing a dissertation on the influence of speaker technology from the Grateful Dead’s Wall of Sound, on the sound reinforcement industry.

I have learned a lot and altered the direction of this project as i've learned more about the Wall and other significant developments in the industry since, such as L Acoustic's V-Dosc system in the mid 1990's. I am not trying to suggest that the Wall of Sound played an enormous role in revolutionising live sound, however I am discussing the cause for its creation and how the industry developed from there.

Here is the link:

Live sound pioneers of the 1970's

If anyone has any further information on either the Wall of Sound, or experiences in working in sound reinforcement it would be really useful.

Cheers everyone.

Update: This survey has been posted in a couple of other forums and I have received some great responses and feedback on the content of the survey. I am really grateful for any comments or feedback anyone has.

Ethics Disclaimer

The aim of this survey is to obtain real world insight to support secondary research in to what extent the Wall of Sound has had on the sound reinforcement industry. All data gathered in this survey will be kept securely and remain confidential. This survey is being used entirely for academic purposes and is in no way being used to market or sell any brands.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Since when has soliciting opinions from random, anonymous internet forum participants started to pass as "research"?

Sorry, Charlie. That's my random, anonymous opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

like the topic, but your questions seem so incredibly limited...

(there is more to 'modern' sound systems than the speakers; have a look at new materials and technologies getting used in speakers, amps, dsp etc.)

so do yourself a favour and ring up one or two of the major rental companies: see wether you can get a senior engineer (and/or owner) to talk about the development over the last 50 years or so - then come up with a few more questions and we shall answer all of them!

(i'd be very disappointed if you'd ask less than 20-30 questions)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Since when has soliciting opinions from random, anonymous internet forum participants started to pass as "research"?

Sorry, Charlie. That's my random, anonymous opinion.
It isn't that different from any other form of public survey. It certainly gives some insight into an opinion of a certain group of people.
Do you know of a better approach to gether this kind of data? AFAIK brain scanning isn't advanced enough.

The main purpose (besides the ads revenue ) of this website is sharing the information and opinions and I don't see a problem with someone asking for some information, no matter why he needs it for, although it would be fair to post the results of the survey/research here to "return the favour".
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
like the topic, but your questions seem so incredibly limited...

(there is more to 'modern' sound systems than the speakers; have a look at new materials and technologies getting used in speakers, amps, dsp etc.)

so do yourself a favour and ring up one or two of the major rental companies: see wether you can get a senior engineer (and/or owner) to talk about the development over the last 50 years or so - then come up with a few more questions and we shall answer all of them!

(i'd be very disappointed if you'd ask less than 20-30 questions)
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I am in the process of contacting couple of sound hire companies, however I wanted to include a survey as well to get the a wide range of opinions from as many people as possible.

I understand that perhaps some of the content is limited, however I made the survey on the premise of getting as much as I could in as precisely as possible, but in a fairly short survey. For my research i'd love to have 20-30 questions but I was not sure whether I would get as many replies. I am after all one of many many students asking for free advice and help, and on a fairly specific topic so I was keen to try and not overcomplicate it. Admittedly this perhaps won't lead to the best results possible, but I thought it was a necessary sacrifice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your survey mentions that the Wall of Sound utilized "McIntosh valve power amps". This didn't sound quite right to me, having been a McIntosh collector back in the day. According to McIntosh's Heritage site, the Wall of Sound used 48 McIntosh MC2300 power amplifiers. That model is solid-state. I have seen other sites quoting sources that they used "350-watt tube McIntosh amps", but the highest output tube amps that Mc built were the MC275, which were a two-channel power amp that delivered 75 watts RMS/channel, each channel having a duet of 6550s. Perhaps some folks thought that the "275" designation was synonomous with their output power instead of their channel configuration/output power. There was a LOT of misinformation in the rock'n'roll sound biz back in those days .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieaw View Post
I am in the process of contacting couple of sound hire companies...
good move - go ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieaw View Post
...however I wanted to include a survey as well to get the a wide range of opinions from as many people as possible.
good in theory, maybe bad in reality (quantity versus quality); i'd aim higher in quality - your choice...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbaby View Post
I have seen other sites quoting sources that they used "350-watt tube McIntosh amps", but the highest output tube amps that Mc built were the MC275, which were a two-channel power amp that delivered 75 watts RMS/channel, each channel having a duet of 6550s.
You're forgetting the MI-350 (aka MC-3500) - 350-watt monos which used four pairs of 6LQ6 in parallel, stuffed into a box with a cooling fan.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good golly, that's right...Forgot about that beast, thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search