The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Yamaha DZR series! Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
Interessted to hear what you have to say about them!
Happy to post my experience with them but always best to try them yourself if possible
Old 13th September 2018
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've got a pair of the DZR12's arriving in the next few days
Congratulations.

Looking forward to your valued opinion on these.
Old 13th September 2018
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Happy to post my experience with them but always best to try them yourself if possible
True, but for those of us without the time, or resources to do it ourselves, your opinion is a great first data point.

As we have discussed in the past, it will be interesting to see if the specifications on the DZR12 are realized in your ears.

On paper, the DZR12 should have better LF response than even your DXR15's. I'll admit it is physically possible from a strictly engineering standpoint, but from an "I believe it" stand point .....

Looking forward to your report.
Old 18th September 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
The DZR’s arrived yesterday and I took one out the box to have a quick try. For a very rough quick test I plugged an mp3 player into the line inputs on the back and played some well known pre recorded music. I had the master output on the DZR12 on full and the line input levels turned to 0. On initial listening the DZR12 sounds much darker and mid forward to the DXR15’s. Also, the DXR15’s were noticeably louder than the DZR’s whilst set up this way.
I’m hoping to set up both the DXR’s and DZR’s in the venue I run sound with my QU-PAC and give them a more thorough try out either later today or tomorrow.
Old 19th September 2018
  #65
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
Hi guys. I've been comparing both the DXR15's and DZR12's at our 350 seater venue this afternoon. As usual I had both pairs of speakers connected to two different mix outputs on my A&H QU-PAC with volumes set identically on both channels. I did some very basic testing with both pre recorded music and vocals today. The results I found today were quite different! Here's what I've found so far :-

1/ When the DZR12's are fed from a mixer into the XLR inputs, they are slightly louder than the DXR15's! This is with both input levels on zero. However, the DZR also has a master output control that ranges from -10dB to +10dB. I had this set to 0 so I'd imagine if this was turned up it would be significantly louder than the DXR's!

2/ The handles on the DZR12's don't distribute the weight evenly! The DZR's feel very top heavy when carrying the speakers with the front facing you. When carrying them like the top half tips away from you quite a bit. Obviously you can carry them with the back facing you but you then end up with the small plastic knobs pressing against you which worries me as they feel they could get easily damaged?
Also, as the handles are horizontal on the DZR's (DXR's are vertical) they are a lot more awkward to put on poles (but almost certainly not as awkward as the DSR's)

3/ Regarding sound both speakers sound quite different! The DXR's are MUCH brighter. Where I've been quite impressed with the DXR's in the past they now sound very plasticy and scooped. I tried both speakers flat and with the FOH DSP settings on. Cymbals were very loud and bright and the vocals were getting masked by these a little. The DXR's sounded even more scooped and the highs now sounded piercing and the lows sounded boomy and muffled. In comparison, the DZR's almost sounded as though they were lacking in the highs with the cymbals being much quieter and softer to the point of being perhaps a little too quiet? However, the mid range was much more present with vocals being much more forward. I put up a mic and did some vocals whilst switching between both sets of speakers and DZR's had substantially more clarity. The vocals sounded fuller/richer and very articulate through the DZR's but never harsh. You could here every word very clearly at the back of the venue with even subtle nuances carrying. However, when I switched to the DXR15's the vocals lost all clarity and sounded very muffled! Drums sound much more natural and punchy through the DZR's with the snare and toms having great clarity punch and fullness. Even more impressively with the FOH setting turned on the DZR's bass and kick drum sounded extremely deep and punchy to the point of almost sounding like there was a sub being used! I've always been impressed with the bass on the DXR15's but I have to say the DZR's do go noticeably deeper and with much more punch! At the back of the venue the kick and bass had a nice warm and deep punch whereas the DXR's didn't quite have the depth and just sounded boomy with less definition and less thump. I would imagine the DZR12's could handle kick drum and bass guitar noticeably better than the DXR15's but haven't tried them properly in this scenario yet.

4/ When I started to push the output of both speakers, the DXR's started to lose coherence but the DZR's kept their composure and focus.

5/ The fans on the DXR's are much noisier than those on the DZR's!

I'm hoping to try both the DXR15's and DZR12's with a band tomorrow running bass, kick, keys, acoustic guitar plus male and female vocals. Will report back with my thoughts in a day or two.
Old 21st September 2018
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

Im receiving my pair of dzr 15 in a week or two. Cant wait!
Old 23rd September 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I’ve just had a very long night testing session with the DZR12’s today and have found a couple of things that are putting me off them a bit.

1/ I’ve found the DZR12’s to have quite noticeable air turbulence coming from the ports when running bass through them. The on the DXR15’s this is not noticeable. I spent a long time finding the frequencies causing this and by the time I eliminated those the DZR12’s didn’t quite achieve the same depth of bass as the DXR15’s.

2/ I’ve found some harmonic distortion in the mids that we’re made quite obvious when playing quite harmonically complex chords. At first I thought this was the DZR’s revealing some extra detail but I double checked this through both my Beyer DT880pro headphones and Neumann KH120 / Eve TS108 monitoring setup in my studio. I’ve encountered something similar once before with a popular sub £1000 studio monitor which at first the company didn’t believe as no one had reported it. However after many conversations they sent one of their techs over and after showing them the harmonic distortion they hadn’t heard they now found it so obvious that they stopped make no that monitor!
I’m not saying that the DZR12’s have this issue but there is definitely some odd distortion happening in the mids. Could be a faulty DZR12!?

I do prefer the DZR12’s mid range clarity of vocals, acoustic guitar and piano etc but they don’t have quite the separation I was expecting for a speaker of this price. Also After playing around with the GEQ feeding the DXR’s I was able to improve the midrange noticeably (though still didn’t match the midrange of the DZR’s)!
Whilst I do love certain things about the DZR12’s, I’m not sure I can justify the £1200 price difference.
Old 24th September 2018
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I’ve just had a very long night testing session with the DZR12’s today and have found a couple of things that are putting me off them a bit.

1/ I’ve found the DZR12’s to have quite noticeable air turbulence coming from the ports when running bass through them. The on the DXR15’s this is not noticeable. I spent a long time finding the frequencies causing this and by the time I eliminated those the DZR12’s didn’t quite achieve the same depth of bass as the DXR15’s.

2/ I’ve found some harmonic distortion in the mids that we’re made quite obvious when playing quite harmonically complex chords. At first I thought this was the DZR’s revealing some extra detail but I double checked this through both my Beyer DT880pro headphones and Neumann KH120 / Eve TS108 monitoring setup in my studio. I’ve encountered something similar once before with a popular sub £1000 studio monitor which at first the company didn’t believe as no one had reported it. However after many conversations they sent one of their techs over and after showing them the harmonic distortion they hadn’t heard they now found it so obvious that they stopped make no that monitor!
I’m not saying that the DZR12’s have this issue but there is definitely some odd distortion happening in the mids. Could be a faulty DZR12!?

I do prefer the DZR12’s mid range clarity of vocals, acoustic guitar and piano etc but they don’t have quite the separation I was expecting for a speaker of this price. Also After playing around with the GEQ feeding the DXR’s I was able to improve the midrange noticeably (though still didn’t match the midrange of the DZR’s)!
Whilst I do love certain things about the DZR12’s, I’m not sure I can justify the £1200 price difference.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 7th December 2018
  #69
Gear Maniac
DXS XLF Yamaha goes Bass reflex again.

I have 2 DXR 15's and 2 DXR 10's. Great speakers.

I never liked the matching subs, the DXS 15 and 12 because they are Band pass subs.
Loud-yes, musical-no.
Band pass subs are built for high SPL's.
They can't go deep as Bass reflex subs.
So I got another sub. The Alto BLACK 15s. The sub (and its insane brother the BLACK 18s) that most people paid no attention too, but is incredible.

Now Yamaha has released the DXS XLF that are Bass reflex subs, I can't wait to hear them.
They go real low, 33hz for the 15 and 30hz for the 18, but now with huge claimed SPL's.
Thats what I have been waiting for from Yamaha.

Now I just have to start saving.
Old 17th December 2018
  #70
Here for the gear
 

Having red your views on the DZR's 12, I am just interested to see whether you have tried these with any subs? Whilst the 12's do have a good low frequency range, to run a band through them, they will always work better with subs. I have tried these speakers and can't hear or find the issues you are having. If you are comparing them to the DXR range there is no comparison, the DXR range are great for there price and there performance is good, but they have always sounded harsh on the top end and not a warm sound. As you get louder the harshness can sometimes be uncomfortable. Pushing the DZR's the sound is a lot warmer and not harsh at all, with drums the cymbals are heard how they should be heard present but not harsh.
Old 17th December 2018
  #71
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMC Music View Post
Having red your views on the DZR's 12, I am just interested to see whether you have tried these with any subs? Whilst the 12's do have a good low frequency range, to run a band through them, they will always work better with subs. I have tried these speakers and can't hear or find the issues you are having. If you are comparing them to the DXR range there is no comparison, the DXR range are great for there price and there performance is good, but they have always sounded harsh on the top end and not a warm sound. As you get louder the harshness can sometimes be uncomfortable. Pushing the DZR's the sound is a lot warmer and not harsh at all, with drums the cymbals are heard how they should be heard present but not harsh.
Thanks for the review.

I suppose it shouldn't come as any surprise to us that the DZR is a better sounding box than the DXR (especially at higher SPL).

If you get a chance, could you A/B the new DZR to the DSR? I have a pair of the DSR's and have always found them to be outstanding in tops over subs configuration even when pushed. Their only real weakness is that they have no low end extension. They are fine for a guitar duo, but for music playback having any low end content, they just don't have the punch on the LF (say under 80Hz).
Old 10th March 2019
  #72
Here for the gear
 

Yamaha DZR thanks

I own 3 DXR 15s, 3 DXS 10s, Stagepass 600i, and thinking about getting the Yamaha DXS Mkii 12" subs now to match my Yamaha DXR 10s. I was thinking originally selling everything and just buying 2 DZR 12" speakers to use with my MG12XU mixer and eventually will add 2 DZR 15" subs. How would you run a 3rd DZR as a monitor or link out speaker?? There seem to be less input and output jack options on the DZR series.

Last edited by jonnie2hottie; 11th March 2019 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Different options
Old 8th April 2019
  #73
Here for the gear
 

Any more updates on the Yamaha DZR services? Advice? I own the DXR series. Thinking of trading up to DZR line.
Old 8th April 2019
  #74
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
Yamaha have just announced a mk2 version of the DXR series which has a slightly larger 1.75” compression driver versus the 1.4” in the original series. The DSP has also been updated. Not sure how much difference this will make but am curious to hear them at some point.
Another speaker that I’m particularly interested to hear is the upcoming RCF HDM-45a. This looks like it will sit somewhere between the 745a/NX45A and their TT series.
The new features are :-

1/ New amp module derived from TT+ series
2/ RDNet
3/ New cabinet design (HD35 and HD15 also have this)
4/ 1.5” compression driver (745a uses 1.4”)

Other features look similar to the 745 and NX45

133 dB Max SPL
2200 WATT 2-way power (1400 WATT on the 745a and NX45A)
1.5” Titanium Compression Driver, 4.0” v.c.
Neodimium 15” Neodimium Woofer 3.5” v.c.
750 Hz crossover point for perfect vocal reproduction
90°x60°, wide dispersion constant directivity horn
FiRPHASE
Ultra-Light weight
705x442x386 mm - 27.76x17.40x15.20 in (HxWxD)
20 kg / 44.09 lbs

I’m hoping to try out both the new DXR15 mk2 and RCF HDM-45a later this year.
Old 9th April 2019
  #75
Here for the gear
DZR series availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie2hottie View Post
Any more updates on the Yamaha DZR services? Advice? I own the DXR series. Thinking of trading up to DZR line.
The DZR range appears to be in very short supply, in the UK at least. I only found one place with any in stock and unsurprisingly they are not moving on price. I enquired with Yamaha UK and was told stock would be arriving 'Q2 2019'. I heard a rumour from another source (unsubstantiated) that they were having supplier issues with a vital component. I did get a demo of a pair of DZR15's at a DJ show and they were impressive but I would be more comfortable buying some if there were more of them around...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump