The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which wireless system with headset microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 11th March 2018
Here for the gear

Which wireless system with headset microphone?

Hello all!

I have a question for all of you, because after reading lot of reviews all over the internet I still do not have any smart ideas about what to do.

I am playing on weddings and other private events in front of about let say hundred and more people. There are some events when number of people is much higher or even much lower but the average is hundred people.

In recent months i decided to step further while playing. For ten years I was using shure beta 58 wired microphones while playing accordion or workstation Tyros but now I want to buy a headset microphone for using while playing accordion. I do not want to be static anymore, so on the same place while playing accordion due to the microphone on the stand. I would still use microphone on stand while playing workstastion, but while playing accordion I would like to use headset microphone.

And now the question is, which one should I pick? I would really like battery indicator (as much accurate as it could be) on the receiver and a good microphone for singer (men with baritone voice). I really do not know if i should pick digital or analog system, I also do not know which microphones are among the best for those kind of use. Also a price is important. Let say that my budget is about 500$.

I was looking at thomann music store and I saw next systems:
-Sennheiser XSW 1-ME3 E-Band Headset – Thomann UK. --> This is the one that i like the most. It has a good price. Do you have any experience with this set?

-Line6 XD-V75HS Tan – Thomann UK --> also a nice thing but a digital system. Also i do not know if microphone is good enough for my needs. What do you think?

- Sennheiser ew D1 ME3 Headmic Set – Thomann UK. ---> the same microphone like the first one that i posted one but with digital system. How is it with some dropouts?

-Shure BLX14/P31 T11 – Thomann UK. --> what about that?

-Shure BLX14R/P31 T11 – Thomann UK --> or that with better system?

- https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser..._g3_a_band.htm --> another sennheiser system, once again, is much better than let say first one link which i posted?

- https://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_u508_bph.htm. --> what about those LD systems?

- https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser...nd_headset.htm. --> another sennheiser system?

Can you please help me? Which one would you chose among all above? You can also recommend some other systems as well. Please help me because i really do not know what to do!

Thanks a lot for all replies!
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

You should really hire some and try them out as they all have differing strengths and weakness' in this price bracket. The commanding circuit is likely to be the weakest link with these units and this will have a negative impact on the sonic performance. Ironically, I have had good success with the Audio Technica 2.4gHz headset units in this price bracket. Having said that, there is a noticeable difference stepping into the price bracket of Shure ULXd or Sennheiser EW2000.

Most wired microphones will sound better than wireless at this price point, but flexibility with regard to position is what you are after and wireless is the only solution here. As I say, try some out.
Old 14th March 2018
Here for the gear
I can speak to a couple of these.

The Sennheiser XSW/ME3 is a great unit. The mic is very good. I used that for a couple of years until the bodypack broke. A replacement bodypack is almost as much as a new unit, so there is no way I was going to replace it.

I replaced the bodypack with a Shure BLX unit and am using an adapter for the Sennheiser ME3 mic, as I have a couple of them. Overall, the Shure system is very nice, but has a bit lower gain than the Sennheiser. The XSW unit was a bit more prone to interference than the Shure. The XSW prompted me to replace the wireless unit I use for my guitar, as the two receivers didn't like to sit next to one another without generating noise. I don't have that issue with the Shure.

If I were buying a new mic today, I'd probably be looking at a Countryman headworn mic with a TA4F connector to work with the Shure bodypack. However, I'm perfectly satisfied with the ME3 mics, and I have more than one of them, so a new headworn isn't in the forseeable future.
Old 15th March 2018
S21
Lives for gear

"XSW is a great system unless you want to sing through it" is the way my Sennheiser retailer described it to me. :-)

I like the EW100/300/500 gear. I have some Line-6 2.4G too, but find the range disappointing.
Old 21st March 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks!

At first, thanks for all your answers!

The problem is that in my country I can not rent any microphones...So I really can not try any of them because those mics are not used a lot. I would not have any problems with trying let say shure beta, but those mics are not used a lot, so that might be a huge problem!

I still do not know excatly what to do. I was going to pick XSW with ME3 for my performances, but now after all your answers I do not know what to do!

Any other opinions about those headsets?

Last edited by mtkolife; 21st March 2018 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Adding something!
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkolife View Post
At first, thanks for all your answers!

The problem is that in my country I can not rent any microphones...So I really can not try any of them because those mics are not used a lot. I would not have any problems with trying let say shure beta, but those mics are not used a lot, so that might be a huge problem!

I still do not know excatly what to do. I was going to pick XSW with ME3 for my performances, but now after all your answers I do not know what to do!

Any other opinions about those headsets?
Again, the ME3W headset is great, but the transmitter/bodypack didn't last. If it were me, I'd go directly to the Shure BLX. Of my pile of wireless gear, it's the most competent budget wireless. If you have a little extra budget, pair the BLX transmitter/receiver with a Countryman mic.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search