The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
External EQ through mixer main insert? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
External EQ through mixer main insert?

Hello,

I have an Allen & Heath ZED-10FX mixer and I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to connect a mono external rack EQ that I have. I want to eq the whole main mix, since this mixer does not have individual channel inserts. I kind off like a little 31 band eq to cut off a little bit of some frequencies, to take some of the unwanted edge off several frequencies. This is not for a monitor. I play acoustic guitar and vocals with one powered speaker. Should I connect the eq after the mixer left XLR main output before the powered speaker or should I try to use the left main insert 1/4 jack? Which one would give me better sound quality?

This mixer has nice eq, but still like to cut off a little bit other frequencies that are not available in the mixer eq. I like the 31 band graphic eq because it allows me to fine tune some of the "boomey" frequencies of the vocal microphone or the acoustic guitar pickup.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Nut
 

For your purpose, i would do mixer -> GEQ -> amps / active speakers
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Got it!!

Thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Just out of curiosity, when would it be ideal to use this mixer's Main inserts?
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Pro Sound Guy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
Just out of curiosity, when would it be ideal to use this mixer's Main inserts?
That would work if you wanted to insert the EQ into the signal path.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
That would work if you wanted to insert the EQ into the signal path.
I'm sorry, forgive my ignorance on this matter, but could you give me an example or a situation where I would want to insert EQ into the signal path as oposed to connecting it after the main XLR outs?
Old 5 days ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

You could insert a compressor over the main LR (many do).
Old 5 days ago
  #8
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
You could insert a compressor over the main LR (many do).
yep! while it doesn't matter (that much) whether you drive your eq pre fader (=from before the fader via insert) or post fader (via main output), a compressor would react very different if you'd drive it with varying levels - so: compressor via (pre fader) insert, eq (mostly) via main out.

if you like having the eq before the compressor, they both would be inserted
Old 5 days ago
  #9
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
yep! while it doesn't matter (that much) whether you drive your eq pre fader (=from before the fader via insert) or post fader (via main output), a compressor would react very different if you'd drive it with varying levels - so: compressor via (pre fader) insert, eq (mostly) via main out.

if you like having the eq before the compressor, they both would be inserted
Sounds great! Now I understand! Thanks a lot! So those main mix L & R 1/4 size insert jacks on my Allen & Heath ZED-10FX mixer are pre fader and the L & R main out XLR are post fader.

The only thing is that this mixer does not have individual channel inserts. It only has these L & R main mix inserts.
Old 5 days ago
  #10
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
The only thing is that this mixer does not have individual channel inserts
if you're not using the aux pre for a monitor, you could use to 'insert' a comp (or eq) by sending from the aux output to the comp and back into one channel
Old 2 days ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Pro Sound Guy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
I'm sorry, forgive my ignorance on this matter, but could you give me an example or a situation where I would want to insert EQ into the signal path as oposed to connecting it after the main XLR outs?
Main XLR out to EQ balanced in is favorable connection.

Insert cables are not balanced and thus susceptible to picking up RF noise.
Especially on longer runs.

For live use I would probably go with the fully balanced option.

Also, with the compression insert suggestion on the mains.
Compressing the audio signal squeezes dynamics. At high levels
through a sound system this can lead to your voice coils heating up quickly
and can lead to failure.
Be careful on that advice.
You might want to insert compression on individual channels as needed and not compress the main signal.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump