The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Subwoofer attached to an external frame backpack? Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Subwoofer attached to an external frame backpack?

Amazon.com : Stansport Deluxe Freighter Aluminum Pack Frame : External Frame Backpacks : Sports & Outdoors

Long story short I recently bought this external frame style backpack and an RCF Sub 702 AS II subwoofer and with a few dollars of parts from the hardware store, am able to safely strap the subwoofer to the frame. It’s surprisingly easy to carry the subwoofer around in this manner.

But anyway, long story short, with the subwoofer being carried around in an “open air” manner, what I’m wondering is, do I have any real reason to detach it from the backpack when in use?

I mean, I’ve already listened to it while attached to the backpack and walked around it and I don’t notice a drop off in volume or quality, it seems like the backpack is acoustically transparent relative to the cabinet. But is there anything I am missing?

Just to be clear, I don’t mind how it looks to have a subwoofer attached to the frame backpack at a gig, I just want to know if I should have an acoustic motivation for detaching and then later reattaching it to the backpack (which involves enough fussing for it to be worth it for me to want to avoid).

Side note, I managed to remove enough aspects of the stock backpack that there are no rattles so that’s not a concern.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsearcher View Post
Amazon.com : Stansport Deluxe Freighter Aluminum Pack Frame : External Frame Backpacks : Sports & Outdoors

Long story short I recently bought this external frame style backpack and an RCF Sub 702 AS II subwoofer and with a few dollars of parts from the hardware store, am able to safely strap the subwoofer to the frame. It’s surprisingly easy to carry the subwoofer around in this manner.

But anyway, long story short, with the subwoofer being carried around in an “open air” manner, what I’m wondering is, do I have any real reason to detach it from the backpack when in use?

I mean, I’ve already listened to it while attached to the backpack and walked around it and I don’t notice a drop off in volume or quality, it seems like the backpack is acoustically transparent relative to the cabinet. But is there anything I am missing?

Just to be clear, I don’t mind how it looks to have a subwoofer attached to the frame backpack at a gig, I just want to know if I should have an acoustic motivation for detaching and then later reattaching it to the backpack (which involves enough fussing for it to be worth it for me to want to avoid).

Side note, I managed to remove enough aspects of the stock backpack that there are no rattles so that’s not a concern.
i guess your good then

interesting concept
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gives a whole new meaning to the old walking bass line...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah, should be fine. Might look a bit weird, but if you're cool with that then enjoy your creation.

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Ok thank you for the perspectives. In case anyone is wondering, the reason I made this rig is because I will be, semi regularly, carrying a PA up and down a flight of stairs in the next few months and putting the weight on my shoulders is a much more practical way to accomplish that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsearcher View Post
In case anyone is wondering, the reason I made this rig...
We're just happy that you're happy.

On a practical point, how do you get it onto your back once you've put a sub on it? Would it not be easier to use a stair trolley? If your legs/back give out half way up a flight of stairs you're in deep dung. Or maybe it's not the 2x18" I'm imagining.

On the point of acoustics - as your speaker cone moves forward and pushes the air to set up the sound wave the cabinet will be "oppositely and equally" projected back (Einstein's Theory of Reggae Music). If your system allows that movement then some of the potential trouser flapping will be sacrificed {TF = Ire Motion/Back Passage}. For the fullest bass response the sub should be well anchored (or "******ed" in the tech-speak).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Hahaha, not a 2x18 by a longshot, try a 1x12 at 38.5 lbs. I’m trying to get to the roof, not bring it down.
Old 6 days ago
S21
Lives for gear

Try and keep the backpack discrete. While it might be 100% the right physical solution to moving gear, if you do something "odd" it is easy to be remembered for the oddity rather than some other more relevant aspect of the show.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search