The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best bang for your buck loudspeakers/PA system for small venue (capacity:300) Studio Monitors
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best bang for your buck loudspeakers/PA system for small venue (capacity:300)

I work for a small venue with a capacity of about 300 people. We host rock bands. We're revamping our set up (currently running 2x12inch jbl speakers w/ a jbl sub and some aged ev monitors). We're looking for a new set up, console, loudspeakers, monitors, subwoofers and drum mics. For now, I'm focusing on loudspeakers, monitors, and subs.

The room is narrow, roughly 60ft x 28ft. We're looking for something cost effective (of course) with the majority of the budget going towards loudspeakers and monitors. Again, we host rock bands, so we want something that can be loud enough to push them.

We also have an outdoor covered patio space that holds roughly the same amount of people but is much wider than it is deep (roughly 70ft x 30ft). If we could find something portable and "road ready" for both, that would be great. If not, that's ok.

We also do some small outdoor festivals (1,000 people) if there is a system that could potentially travel as well although that's not a necessity at this time.

We've been looking at Meyer and kv2-es series loudspeakers, but they are a bit out of our price range.

You can really get lost looking for this stuff, so any help to narrow our search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejyr View Post
I work for a small venue with a capacity of about 300 people. We host rock bands. We're revamping our set up (currently running 2x12inch jbl speakers w/ a jbl sub and some aged ev monitors). We're looking for a new set up, console, loudspeakers, monitors, subwoofers and drum mics. For now, I'm focusing on loudspeakers, monitors, and subs.

The room is narrow, roughly 60ft x 28ft. We're looking for something cost effective (of course) with the majority of the budget going towards loudspeakers and monitors. Again, we host rock bands, so we want something that can be loud enough to push them.

We also have an outdoor covered patio space that holds roughly the same amount of people but is much wider than it is deep (roughly 70ft x 30ft). If we could find something portable and "road ready" for both, that would be great. If not, that's ok.

We also do some small outdoor festivals (1,000 people) if there is a system that could potentially travel as well although that's not a necessity at this time.

We've been looking at Meyer and kv2-es series loudspeakers, but they are a bit out of our price range.

You can really get lost looking for this stuff, so any help to narrow our search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

It would be helpful if you listed your budget and what you want to buy with it. Don't forget the boring stuff like cables, racks, panels etc. On GS, you will get opinions from people from two groups. One group will recommend new powered MI level speakers (found in music stores) and the other will recommend buying used professional gear. Let the battle begin!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

A few questions....

What model JBL speakers are you using currently?

What is your budget for JUST speakers and monitors? Meyer and kv2 speakers are generally more than "a bit" out of most bar venue's price range (Meyer UPA-1P's (12" 2 way) list for around $4500.00 each)

When you say "Rock Bands" can you state which genera's they cover?

How big is your dance floor?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Let's say the budget is $5,000usd or less and all I want to buy is loudspeakers (2), monitors (4), and subs(1-2). And used gear is fine as long as the used brand is a tried and true warrior against normal wear and tear. We have plenty of cables and power amps to light up half the block.

Think indie rock music, or a general rock sound, like Pearl Jam. Not death metal.
I suppose "a bit" was a light way of saying it's quite a bit out of our price range.

The dance floor is basically the whole room.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by weejyr; 2 weeks ago at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Updated info
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's say the budget is $5,000usd or less and all I want to buy is loudspeakers (2), monitors (4), and subs(1-2). And used gear is fine as long as the used brand is a tried and true warrior against normal wear and tear. We have plenty of cables and power amps to light up half the block.

Think indie rock music, or a general rock sound, like Pearl Jam. Not death metal.
I suppose "a bit" was a light way of saying it's quite a bit out of our price range.

The dance floor is basically the whole room.

Thanks guys.
Thanks for the additional information.

DSR112 $900 ea (x2 $1800)
PRX818 $1100 ea (x2 $2200)
Alto TS212 $250 ea (x4 $1000)
Total - $5000

If you want a matched set, then I would replace the PRX818XLF's with the DXS18's which run $1300 ea putting you just a hair over your budget.

I play with a similar setup (DSR112 and PRX618XLF) and can easily handle a venue the size you have quoted. For larger outdoor gigs, you will need more subs. Perhaps you could rent another set of subs for these purposes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'd throw out for consideration in this category the Danley GO2-8CX . . . it looks like a little unassuming Tupperware passive reflex box with an 8" coax driver, but it sure doesn't sound like one! I mixed a small gig (300-400 people) recently with a pair of them as mains (combined with a single TH-118 sub) in a difficult room, and was pretty blown away with the clarity, power, and headroom. They also measured ruler-flat and very consistent on- and off-axis (Smaart TF), and I received many compliments for the sound that evening. Power and processing were an inexpensive Guardian Audio four-channel amp with a Driverack . . . two bands of parametric on the sub and crossover, with no overall EQ at all on the mains.

I've also heard them (playback) when set up as a floor wedge . . . and measured and listened to them in a fixed installation without subwoofers, and was likewise very impressed. Their pattern control is of course not in the same class as the larger and fully-horn-loaded Danley stuff, but the subjective sound quality certainly is, and it's a massive step up from any of the DSR or PRX8xx types of products. Being passive, you have source amps and processing, and not be a complete idiot in tuning and setup . . . and $5K is still not much money for all you describe, no matter how you slice it. But if you're on a tight budget, working reasonably short throw distances, and want to do better than the typical MI boxes, they're very much worth checking out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What we might do is get our monitors first and then piece together the mains/subs eventually over the next year so we don't have to drop a ton of money all at once. That might give us a little more headroom on budget. Plus, selling off some of our old gear will definitely be in the works which will help as well. Thanks a lot guys. All this info is great. With monitors in mind, what would you guys recommend for some quality monitors that haven't already been mentioned? If anyone else would like to throw their two cents in for an overall setup, keep the hits coming. I like to hear options.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If this is really you budget you will either need to reel in your expectations or wait until you have a bigger budget. There is no point going sideways or backwards.

Spend your money for better performance, not just to get new stuff. What specific problem(s) if any do you have with your current system and why do you want to change it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Take a hard look at the Turbosound IQ series. The subs kick ass, surprisingly small, and are a great value. The tops and monitors are less of a bargain but you definitely get what you pay for. If your FOH console is an X32/M32 they can connect to the Ultranet output via cat5 and make in-speaker adjustments from FOH.

I'd look at RCF and EV as well, love Yamaha DSR series tops and JBL PRX 700-800 series tops are decent, subs are lacking for both though. QSC speakers are nice at lower levels but so sideways badly when you push them except the KLA12's but they wouldn't suit a long narrow room.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ill speak to the MI stuff as that is my zone. Samc and a few others have much more experience with the pro stuff so they can steer you in that realm if you can expand your budget.

The jbl srx line sound good and as they are powered and relatively lightweight, they check the box of easily moveable to the patio, sound better and are a bit more robust than the prx line. They also check your budgetary box and can sound incredible with a good engineer, as with any system. A poor engineer can turn 100 grand worth of speakers into hot trash as well as MI stuff.The Alto monitors mentioned earlier are great bang for your buck, maybe even the best "value" of their type out there. They don't sound as good as the speakers double or triple the cost, but that is to be expected. The yammy dsr's as previously mentioned are spoken of highly from a cost/weight/performance perspective.

I run qsc kw stuff all around and couldn't be happier myself, never an issue and always sound great, just can't push them too hard or they do get a bit thin on the top end, but again, I rarely run anything wide open. From bottom to about 3/4 though they are very articulate.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
If this is really you budget you will either need to reel in your expectations or wait until you have a bigger budget. There is no point going sideways or backwards.

Spend your money for better performance, not just to get new stuff. What specific problem(s) if any do you have with your current system and why do you want to change it?
+1
You're potentially wasting 5k for no real advantage.

Edit: narrow and low budget, what about 2 MSL4 + 1 650P? Can't think of a much better option with 5k.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks again for all of this info. Here's what we've decided:

Our board is about 15 years old and has some channels that have quit working after heavy usage/abuse (it was a touring band's board before it was ours). There are also issues with not being able to get separate mixes on stage. Basically, what we've decided is that our problems have to do with on stage sound, not necessarily FOH sound. So, we've gotten a new board, the X32 compact (with a case), and are now on the hunt for quality monitors. Eventually, we'll add a second sub and if needed, we'll go on the hunt for mains in the future. Like SamC said, no sense in going sideways for nothing other than to just have new stuff. Anyway, our new approach will keep us well under budget and and help out our sound tremendously for bands coming through.

So, it seems the search has been narrowed down to monitors. You guys have been great so far. I guess my next question are this: What is a quality monitor that we will be happy with and will immediately see results from without completely breaking the bank. Somewhere probably in the $200-$350 price range. Or is that just a completely ridiculous budget to have? We currently have EV Force wedges that are beaten up pretty good.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I'd go with all JBL PRX to keep everything the same. Just me. I think you can do it within your budget if you shop a bit.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

You wouldn't like what you can get with € 2-300.
EV Force have moquette right?
Rip the moquette off the cabinet and take them to paint them as a proper loudspeakers.
Take a couple of woofers and drivers as spare parts and you're good to go.

Low cost, they'll look good, same cables as before, you already know how to use them, efficiency, and you won't have broken speakers thrown in some corner of the place.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search